Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2018, 11:12 PM   #61

For the DJI flyers here.... DJI is announcing the Mavic Air tomorrow morning. I’m curious to see all the details. There were some Leaked pics today that show it’s a cross between the Spark and Mavic Pro. Will have 4k video and folding arms. 21min flight time... so lower than the Mavic Pro. But could be a nice small compact travel drone.
Adrenalista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:50 PM   #62

Hello all. I've been involved with RC my whole life and have been eyeing drones (quadcopters) for several years.

I just received a refurbished Phantom 4 for Christmas and have been having fun with it in and around my property in Michigan (weather permitting).

We are taking a trip to Destin, FL next month and I was hoping to be able to fly out on the beach. I called and found the condo association where we are staying has a strict "no drone" policy on the beach in front of their buildings. They had no information on where in the area it was permitted.

Is anyone familiar with the Destin area to know where I'd be able to fly? Unfortunately, there are a lot of places that are off limits. I don't want to bother anyone, but I'd really like to fly along the beach if permitted. I'm told that it's also frowned upon on most public beaches.
ebcobra93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:11 PM   #63

Drone Flying

Eric, you might consider the Destin Memorial Cemetery, phase 1 or 2. 2 is closer to the beach area and you might get some good views from there. Both are located near the beach and looking at Google Earth I see some docks in the vicinity that might also be good options. I have no idea about restrictions in cemeteries but saw a video that suggested that cemeteries are a good location to fly a drone because if no one is visiting, you won't disturb anyone.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:19 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalohunter View Post
I have no idea about restrictions in cemeteries but saw a video that suggested that cemeteries are a good location to fly a drone because if no one is visiting, you won't disturb anyone.
Thank you so much for the reply and idea. I will check into that. I'm not familiar with the area (my in-laws stay there in the winter).

I can see someone complaining about flying a drone around a cemetery, but that complaint wouldn't come from any of the residents. [emoji1] Would definitely have to make sure there aren't any visitors.
Old 01-29-2018, 01:54 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebcobra93 View Post
Thank you so much for the reply and idea. I will check into that. I'm not familiar with the area (my in-laws stay there in the winter).

I can see someone complaining about flying a drone around a cemetery, but that complaint wouldn't come from any of the residents. [emoji1] Would definitely have to make sure there aren't any visitors.
As long as you are off there property I don't see a problem, if you fly on a public beach, follow the rules and don't fly over people. Enjoy yourself.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:57 PM   #66

Also welcome to our Drone world, make sure you pay the 5.00 bucks to the FAA to register your done, I paid the extra 10.00 to get the stickers to attach to the drone.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:00 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Also welcome to our Drone world, make sure you pay the 5.00 bucks to the FAA to register your done, I paid the extra 10.00 to get the stickers to attach to the drone.
Thanks! That's the first thing I did. I wasn't aware of the sticker option. Will check into that (I made my own using small address labels)
Old 01-29-2018, 04:14 PM   #68

Quote:
Thanks! That's the first thing I did. I wasn't aware of the sticker option. Will check into that (I made my own using small address labels)
X2 (printed mine with label maker)
Old 03-07-2018, 12:49 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenalista View Post
For the DJI flyers here.... DJI is announcing the Mavic Air tomorrow morning. I’m curious to see all the details. There were some Leaked pics today that show it’s a cross between the Spark and Mavic Pro. Will have 4k video and folding arms. 21min flight time... so lower than the Mavic Pro. But could be a nice small compact travel drone.
I love the Mavic Air! I purchased a Mavic Phantom 2+ a couple of years ago and have flown it quite a bit but kinda lost interest in it. I recently purchase the Mavic Air fly more package. This drone is a blast.

It is not to the Mavic Pro level in camera resolution but it is damn good. It is super small and before I had a suitcase to carry my 2+ bit now I have a bag not much larger than a binocular case. Amazing video plus a lot of automatic shot settings. This is a video where the house is the focal point and the drone automatically flys an orbit around it....
Attached Files

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:56 AM   #70

Quote:
Is anyone familiar with the Destin area to know where I'd be able to fly?
Hello all. I wanted to provide an update on flying along thy beach in the Destin area. Once I got down there I used information from Eglin AF base and the B4UFly app. The area we were staying in (right next to "Camp Gulf" an RV campground) is in a restricted flight zone due to flight ops conducted along the beach. Also, there are numerous helo pads in the area that do helicopter tours.

I ended up driving about 25 minutes east to the Seagrove beach area. There's a nice public beach access (#17) there and it was just outside the restricted flight area and without any helo pads or other airports within 5 mi.

The only problem was having to drive there from where we were staying, but I got lots of good video with my P4 and didn't receive any dirty looks or complaints from the beach going public.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:28 AM   #71

Well that is great, glad you found out about the restricted area, any military base or air strip is restricted within 5 miles. Glad to hear your a responsible pilot, happy flying.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:01 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I love the Mavic Air! I purchased a Mavic Phantom 2+ a couple of years ago and have flown it quite a bit but kinda lost interest in it. I recently purchase the Mavic Air fly more package. This drone is a blast.

It is not to the Mavic Pro level in camera resolution but it is damn good. It is super small and before I had a suitcase to carry my 2+ bit now I have a bag not much larger than a binocular case. Amazing video plus a lot of automatic shot settings. This is a video where the house is the focal point and the drone automatically flys an orbit around it....
Sorry to say I was not able to play your video due to either server error or format.