Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #1

RV Industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post

Wonder what would happen if an RV mfg started to use quality components and featured the benefits in advertising? I know black tank sensors are not as exciting as mirrors in the ceiling but I don't think ti would take too long for word of mouth to spread that RV mfg "A" was building a better product rather than the cheapest possible.
OK - soapbox time - I totally agree with you in principle. There are probably a dozen components on our new TT that are low end to nice, or junk to be more accurate, and I would pay a few extra bucks to have better components.

But the reality is - how much time does the average buyer spend evaluating the holding tank probes compared to to the time spent evaluating the price? Dealers and manufacturers know how buyers behave. We spent hours and hours comparing brands, floorplans, and dealers to get the right deal. Price, wieght/size, and floorplan are probably the 3 main criterea for most buyers. The local lots here are filled with lower priced, metal sided, basic units. That's what people buy - everybody is stretching their budget to get the most RV they can.

I manage an industrial products company, and at least 8 out 10 of our customers will clearly buy a cheaper product over one they know is built better and costs more. I think that holds true for most things, including RV's. And if you price yourself out of 80% of the market, even though you have the better product, its tough to survive. Now, if would be nice if there was a niche product or an upgrade package where you could pay the extra $$ if you wanted to, but the marketing guys would probably never let that happen. The worst thing you could do is an offer an upgrade because your standard model uses inferrior components (even though they are the same as every other brand).

So as irritating as some of these low grade components are, I can't really blame the manufacturers for using them. I think they try to find a balance between cost and quality - they want warranty issues even less than you and I do.

So I think I'll follow that link to upgrade the probes with some of the $$ I hopefully saved on the purchase. Even if we did learn the hard way that if the grey tank is full it will come up through the shower drain, even though the probe says 2/3... Still love our Roo...

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
Commercial Member

KMP44
I understand and sort of agree. You pointed out " I can't really blame the manufacturers for using them. I think they try to find a balance between cost and quality - they want warranty issues even less than you and I do."
Well the RV industry does a great job of avoiding warranty costs by:
1. Having abysmally short warranty time i.e. 12 months
and
2. Requiring the owner to pay labor to replace parts they admit were "defective"

#2 has happened to me twice. I had to pay the $300 shipping & labor to replace a defective awning and the RV mgf expected me to pay the $500 to remove & replace the graphics they admitted, in writing, were defective.
This of course doesn't include the 100% failure of brake lights due to poor install or numerous other items that car manufacturers know how to make last more than a year.

Soap Box time
I firmly believe the RV industry simply is interested is getting the unit out the door and is willing to loose repeat customers by simply washing their hands of the responsibility for the shoddy work & parts they sell.

I understand this business model works. A person may buy 8 to 10 different cars over their lifetime but only a couple RVs so why care if they don't get return customers? There are enough suckers out there that they simply pass their junk off on the next unsuspecting person.

My 21' coach has a long laundry list of shoddy workmanship (US workers not Chinese!) and bad design along with components that simply do not function as they should. I think the only reason the RV industry doesn't care is that they do not have to compete with quality manufacturers such as Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, Kia etc.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I think we've missed the boat on the op's question and maybe a new thread should be started not to further clutter this one.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #4
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I think we've missed the boat on the op's question and maybe a new thread should be started not to further clutter this one.
X2

We need a sticky thread for "Why we think the RV industry sucks" and tehn people can just rant there.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post

X2

We need a sticky thread for "Why we think the RV industry sucks" and tehn people can just rant there.
Hmmm good idea
Old 09-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
Site Team

If ya want, I can move these latest ones to their own discussion group so as to not get this one derailed further.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #7

Quote:
X2

I normally don't point out typo's (becuase I make so many myself) however I feel obligated to point out that you could replace the work tehn with "then" or "ten" and it would be true either way. That seems to be about the number...
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post

if ya want, i can move these latest ones to their own discussion group so as to not get this one derailed further.
yesssss. Please!
Old 09-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
yesssss. Please!
Ok, done.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #10
Trailer Trash

IF you want better components installed in your RV, have your dealer quote them to you. They will be installed by dealer's service department and not the factory. It is MUCH easier for the salesguy at dealer to haggle on upgrades price vs. sale price of RV. They salesguy can throw in some upgrades as freebies and leave the asking price of the RV alone. This is called gifting in the sales world. Some buyers see this as great value.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #11

I have an idea! Why don't the Japanese, Koreans etc, just start making RV's?? It worked in the 1970's, and brought the Big 3 automakers to their knees until they started making a more quality product that could compete!
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #12

^^^OMG Can of Worms^^^^^
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #13

Quote:
X2

And maybe a second sticky where people can make EXCUSES for poor products.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelek View Post
IF you want better components installed in your RV, have your dealer quote them to you. They will be installed by dealer's service department and not the factory. It is MUCH easier for the salesguy at dealer to haggle on upgrades price vs. sale price of RV. They salesguy can throw in some upgrades as freebies and leave the asking price of the RV alone. This is called gifting in the sales world. Some buyers see this as great value.
I agree !
If you want $400.00 tank sensors instead of $100.00 tank sensors you should have them included in the purchase price when buying.
I hardly even look at mine anyway. It not worth the price difference.
The geo-method works I'm good.
I could name a few things people whine about but I'll pull a sye here and filter.
Fix it, HAVE it fixed or move on.....