Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #21

[QUOTE=KyDan;262602]Hey William..Do I need to download and install some sort of program to use it?..QUOTE]

yikes - no Google Earth guru here but yes, do a search for "download google earth" and follow the instructions to, well, download

this is my understanding of what Google has done for this program - they have sat or aircraft images of just about all the planet and they also have 360º ground views, taken from a vehicle of a whole bunch of places (probably none from N Korea or Iran, but.....)

once you have the program on your computer, open it and type in "some" location (I've used the Eiffel Tower for the pics below). That'll bring up the sat photo and you'll be able to zoom in or zoom out with the +/- tool on the upper right side of the photo. You can also "grab" the image with your mouse and move it around if you need to "center" a particular part (your home, for instance).

note that there is also a "little man" up in the top right corner (he'll be there only if "street level" photos are available for that which you've searched). if there is one you can grab him with your mouse (when you do "grab", streets that have the ground view capability will start being outlined in blue. with your mouse, move the little man to a street that is outlined in blue and release him. you can then rotate him 360º left or right to get the street view of whatever you want to look at (rotate him by using the top (of the 2) little "compasses" in the top right corner of the photo. (the compass below that is for moving the street view forward/backward/left/right) (you've gotta "play" with those to see how they work). Here's some pics of the Eiffel Tower "search" tho I've downsized them for posting here so they're sorta hard to see :

this is what I got when I typed-in "Eiffel Tower" in the Search box of Google Earth - a sat view..

this is what I got when I zoomed-in on the sat view..

and then I "grabbed" the little man from the upper right corner and dragged him down and released him on the bridge which is just to the NW of the Tower, then turned the image to the SE so as to "see" the Tower from the bridge..

this is really a fun program - I use it almost every day - useful for so many things and fun for the rest

let me know if I can help further - like I said "I'm not Google Earth guru" but I do know a little about it.....Bill
Whisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #22
Site Team

Wow- Thanks!! This is very helpful. I'll definitely give it a try ..... er
maybe later. Wife is not retired and she left me a "honey do" list.
I better get on it!
Have a great day!!
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:57 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
..Could you post a "snippet" of the bar you are seeing ??..
hmmmmm, like not being a Google Earth guru, I'm not a computer wiz either - don't know why you're not getting the whole thing - we've got it on all our computers (different operating systems and IE versions) - sorry, don't know what to tell ya - but here's the top left 1/4 of what my view has :

Whisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Bill. I am using Google Maps instead of Google Earth.....I think that is the big difference.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote