Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2010, 06:49 AM   #1

Saturn Vue - Anyone have these problems

My wife has a 2005 Saturn Vue.

The Vue has about 40K miles on it. Recently she noticed a noise when she is driving it. Thinking it may be the new tires on it, she hasn't paid that much attention to it. Not good. While having it in this week for regular maintenance, my mechanic (who I have dealt with for years so I trust him) noticed the noise also while road testing it. His first thought was a wheel bearing was going bad. No such luck. Upon further investigation it appears the rear end has a major problem in it.

He first checked to see if we were still under warranty. It expired in February. He has been able to find a salvage part to replace this one with, which we have authorized him to do.

He has also found out in this that the Vue's have a widespread history of both rear end and transmission problems. They have Honda Pilot transmissions and rear ends in them. Has anyone else out there heard of these problems? My mechanic advises getting it fixed and then getting rid of it.

Of course now my wife is ready to start looking.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:21 PM   #2

I would get rid of it if I was you, I worked at shop that had an inhouse transmission rebuild room, unlike amco's, etc. who just remove and replace the unit only. I have seen many Honda Transmissions being rebuilt. If I remember correctly, one problem with them is they have to use a specific Honda Trans fluid ONLY! any other fluids will lead to problems and rebuilds. Also they are very expensive to rebuild. do not mix fluids.

Honda makes an excellent product, but it must be maintained properly or it will not last. This is true for all Transmissions, you need to change the fluid and at 40K miles you are due for a service I am sure. Honda may not reccomned a 40K service but you should have the trans fluid replaced and new filter installed if applicable, not all have a replaceable filter.

If you wait untill the unit has over 80K miles then a fluid change SHOULD NOT BE DONE, it will lead to premature failure. The friction modifiers in the new clean fluid will cause this.

Just my 2 cents worth of opinion.
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:57 PM   #3

Replacement part was worse than the original. Without going into detail, the part is poorly designed and is junk. Hopefully the next one he finds will work long enough for us to dump this thing.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:19 PM   #4

Sell sell sell!
Old 09-23-2010, 07:08 AM   #5

We have a 06 with about 60K on it.
Ours developed a high pitched whine.
Takes about 5-10 mins of driving before it starts.
The volume & pitch is speed dependent.
At first I thought it was the wind through the XM radio, FM transmitter that slips over the car antenna but after removing the whine was still there.
I have had it to three different shops & no one could figure it out, no more Saturn dealer to go to.
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielflading View Post
Sell sell sell!

We plan to. She just doesn't know what she wants and can't decide between another small SUV or a smaller car. For how she drives the smaller car would be the way to go, but it will be her decision since she will be the primary driver.

She wanted the AWD for snow, but when it snows, I still have to take her to work in the Suburban.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:27 AM   #7

Values have plummeted since they stopped making Saturns
I owe more than the car is worth!
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Happy Campers View Post
Values have plummeted since they stopped making Saturns
I owe more than the car is worth!
I'm ready to cut the losses and dump it. Sadly she really likes the car but now doesn't trust it.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Happy Campers View Post
We have a 06 with about 60K on it.
Ours developed a high pitched whine.
Takes about 5-10 mins of driving before it starts.
The volume & pitch is speed dependent.
At first I thought it was the wind through the XM radio, FM transmitter that slips over the car antenna but after removing the whine was still there.
I have had it to three different shops & no one could figure it out, no more Saturn dealer to go to.
Sounds like a wheel bearing is heating up and they will make a whining noise that is also speed dependant. Jack it up and spin each tire by hand and feel for one that is not turning smoothly.

Since there is no more Saturn, the parts are very expensive now, I heard Penske or someone bought up all remaining non dealer stock and they are making a fortune reselling it. you can still find some limited stock through a GM dealer,
Old 09-23-2010, 08:01 AM   #10

Toyota makes a nice Small SUV. However the cost is outrageous. Suzuki, Kia, and Hyundai all make excellent small SUV's. And the prices are within reason.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 05:55 AM   #11

i had a saturn in 98 that developed a noise like a bearing. turned out to be in the transmission...a pitted bearing. i believe it must have been in the drive (output to wheels area). the car was 2k out of warrenty. i thought they would honor it anyway. no such luck. the minute u passed the warrenty, it was over.
i've know of people with other viehicles that the dealers did the work without charge anyway. don't know if they wer reembursed by factory of just chalked it up to good will.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:38 AM   #12

Maybe we should ask Obama what to do with the Saturn vehicles since the are now gone
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote