Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
Always Learning

September Is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month - our story

On January 2nd, 2005 - my wife and I were celebrating the new year on a weekend away when her mother called and said that our daughter had thrown up. In our typical fashion- our response was, "clean it up and see ya in a couple of days". Never did we expect or imagine that was the first of many and in two weeks, our 13-month old baby girl would lose her ability to walk, stand, sit up and see. My life changed one January evening when an ER doctor did a CT scan to find out why and a 12 hours later a doctor told us our daughter had a brain tumor and they were prepping the O/R (operating room).

My beautiful child endured multiple surgeries, dealt with stitched while she was awake, infections and finally 6 weeks of radiation treatments. She had MRIs every 4 months for 3 years, every 6 months for 2 and now goes for them yearly. In fact, just 10 minutes ago, I emailed our nurse to schedule the next one. Darling daughter still isn't sure if she'd rather be put to sleep for it (a mugging still) or try it awake. It'll likely be next month.

Yet, we're the lucky ones. We have friends who after 9 and 10 years are still fighting the fight. And worse, we've been to funerals for kids. We're lucky - daughter is absolutely side effect and long-term effect free. She's a happy go lucky 9 year old (almost 10!) who gets to be normal.

September has been designated as being Childhood Cancer Awareness Month and Gold is the color.

After her first surgery:

Her last day of radiation treatments:

The end of this past school year:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Paige - Spring Band Concert.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	39190
Old 09-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
ses

Glad to hear she is side affect free! I have a niece that was diagnosed with leukemia at 3 years old. Had to watch her go through chemotherapy. Children are tougher than we give them credit for! Very hard on family too, many, many trips to hospital during those days and life doesn't slow down and wait on you.
ses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
ses

Glad to say she is a senior in hs and is doing fine!
ses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #4

She is a beautiful young lady. May she continue to enjoy good health and be the joy in your life.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

That's a very touching story, Doug...glad to hear that she's doing well. Thanks for sharing and reminding us of Childhood Cancer Awareness Month and the need for support research to find effective treatments.

My youngest son was diagnosed with cancer of the prostate and bladder at 2 1/2 years old. After numerous surgeries, chemo and radiation he has done well...he just turned 30 and is a auto tech at a Lexus dealership. It's hard to describe the emotional rollercoaster that goes along with the ups and downs of treatments of your child...was a very tough 2 years.

I'll add my pitch to support Cancer Awareness and support of Cancer Research...the advances in treatments and success rates have improved what was only dreamed of a few years ago.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #6
Oklahoma Proud

That is awsome Doug! God has blessed your family greatly, and has great thing planned for yall for sure!
I hope that I never half to go thru all that with my brood of 12, 5 & 2.
After I lost my father at a very young age, me 2.5 and him almost 31, looking back you realize that everyday is such a gift and there is not a minute to waste.

Thanks for your sharing! It is always good to remember past stuggles and triumphs! May the Good Lord keep shinin' down on ya!!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:52 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for sharing, Doug, and for the reminder its Childhood Cancer Awareness month. Your daughter looks very sweet. I've got daughters just a bit older and younger than her and can only imagine what you and she have gone through. So glad to hear of her success.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote