Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2017, 11:07 AM   #1

Set Up / Teardown Clothing

I'm hoping I'm not the only one with this problem and someone has some ideas on how to mitigate it.

I perspire at the drop of a hat... excessively. So needless to say when we are connecting to the TV or disconnecting and setting up I'm drenched with sweat. To compound matters I can't seem to make it through one of these sessions without getting dirt or grease on me or my clothing.

When it's finally time to get into the TV and drive I'm a hot, sweaty, dirty, stinky mess. On our last trip my wife set aside some spare clothes and a towel and I took a quick shower at the bath house. But then everyone is waiting in the car for me.

Just wondering how others might deal with this?

Thanks!
Ron
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:19 AM   #2

Well, you really don't have much of a choice if you sweat like that....lets see you are driving and have the safety responsibility for everybody in the TV. It also sounds like you do all the work so my assessment here is gotta take care of the captain so everybody will have to suck it up and wait for you to shower, I think it will be to every bodies benefit

2013 Forest River Salem/Sport Fifth WHL
2017 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax/Allison
Curt Q20 Fifth wheel, Champion Inverter3500
US Army Retired
Bikersarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron045 View Post
I'm hoping I'm not the only one with this problem and someone has some ideas on how to mitigate it.

I perspire at the drop of a hat... excessively. So needless to say when we are connecting to the TV or disconnecting and setting up I'm drenched with sweat. To compound matters I can't seem to make it through one of these sessions without getting dirt or grease on me or my clothing.

When it's finally time to get into the TV and drive I'm a hot, sweaty, dirty, stinky mess. On our last trip my wife set aside some spare clothes and a towel and I took a quick shower at the bath house. But then everyone is waiting in the car for me.

Just wondering how others might deal with this?

Thanks!
Ron
I too suffer from "hyperhidrosis". As soon as the work starts I start to get soaked.

To minimize this I like to do all the physically demanding work early in the day when the temps are down.

Other than that I just keep a pair of worn out jeans and cotton T-Shirt ready to work in then shower and get into my travel clothes.

There are some Vitamin Supplements that claim to give some relief from hyperhidrosis but claims don't always equal results.

You should have seen me after building a new fence at my house. My wife would make me stop every 30 minutes and drink a huge glass of water. My shirt and jeans were so wet it looked like I had been working under a sprinkler.

For guys like us a shower and fresh clothes are about the only choice.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:34 AM   #4

While working at some hydroplane boat races we got really hot just sitting. One of the divers continually dipped his hat in the water to keep it wet. When I asked him why, he said to keep cool. You loose a majority of body heat thru your head, so the evaporating water helps cool you down. I now wear a damp hat when working outside - works for me.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:30 PM   #5

I worked outside and in the summer used a head band you soak in water then put around your forehead. Worked really well. Kept it and use it doing yard work/repairs on vehicles.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:34 PM   #6
King of the Road

How about if someone else lends a hand instead of sitting around watching you sweat?

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:10 PM   #7
Site Team

I too sweat easily.
I just keep an fresh shirt available and an old towel to cover the driver's seat.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:42 PM   #8

Don't worry, you're not alone.
Seems like I'm more sensitive to heat now than when I was younger and we're not even exposed to the extreme heat and humidity you're experiencing. I change into 'work clothes' when setting up and tearing down and yes, a light colored damp hat works wonders.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 03:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano1955 View Post
How about if someone else lends a hand instead of sitting around watching you sweat?
I did not mean to imply I do all the work. DW takes care of the interior, me the exterior. Kids help with various tasks as well.

Ron
Old 08-27-2017, 03:28 PM   #10
PhD, Common Sense

Quote:
I did not mean to imply I do all the work. DW takes care of the interior, me the exterior. Kids help with various tasks as well.

Ron

You have kids?!?. Greatest labor-saving device ever. You sit inside enjoying the AC while they do all the work.

Of course, if I were them, I'd pull the shore power first.[emoji48]
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 04:41 PM   #11
King of the Road

Quote:

Ron
Ahh, OK. Maybe you didn't imply, I guess I just inferred.

Do you have an outdoor shower? Leave the pump running and propane on as the last items on your checklist. Quick shower outside (if possible) DW can turn off the pump and propane while you change clothes.

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 04:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano1955 View Post
Ahh, OK. Maybe you didn't imply, I guess I just inferred.

Do you have an outdoor shower? Leave the pump running and propane on as the last items on your checklist. Quick shower outside (if possible) DW can turn off the pump and propane while you change clothes.
I do have an outdoor shower... never used it. Maybe it's time o give that a try.

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2017, 07:04 PM   #13
Just as confused as you

A wet towel draped around the neck helps, too.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:12 PM   #14

Speak with your medical provider to discuss options for treatment if you have hyperhydrosis.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:02 PM   #15

As stated above they make some really good head bands now. Get them wet and put on - keep you cool really well. Use them when riding the Harley in really hot weather. May help.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:33 PM   #16

Ron, I empathize with you. I'm a big guy (300+) and 99% of our camping is in Florida. For what it's worth, here is my routine on departure day. The DW and I split duties, she takes the inside I take the outside.

I head out and start picking up anything that needs to be stowed, grill, tables, chairs, etc.. I put the awning up, hook up the TV to the TT, get WDH bars all set and locked in everything but the 7-way connector.
If I have hookups, Dump the tanks (insert your routine here), disconnect the hoses and stow them, chocks, antennas, etc. Basically, I'm ready to pull out with the exception of the water hose and power cord.

Then I go inside and take a shower and get ready for the ride. The DW is already ready for the ride and is just finishing her tidying up, etc. When ready, we turn off the water heater, lights, ac, and exit. Meanwhile the TV is running with ac on. I disconnect the water line and stow it, disconnect the power and stow it. Do a walk around while the DW is putting the trash bag in the TV, hook up the 7-way, and then we're off. I'm out in the heat for maybe 5 min max.

I agree with the recommendations on towels on the neck, etc. definitely helps. If you wanted to you could divide up the remaining two tanks water line and power and be out there for even less time. It works for me, I'm not usually soaked.
foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:51 PM   #17

I'm a Floridian and we often camp in hot damp weather. While breaking down our site usually put a dry Tshirt and dry shorts near the drivers seat of our motorhome. Last step before we pull away is for DW to go outside to check the lights on our road. While doing that I usually change into something dry. Makes the day of driving much nicer

Other Motorhome

2013 F-150 Eco-Boost V6
mrmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:02 PM   #18

I sweat as bad as anyone...more or less. DW says it is g-ross, but it's me. Always have done it and I guess always will. I just deal with it and go on.

You could point your compass North and drive till you don't sweat so bad!!
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:03 PM   #19

X2!
Old 08-29-2017, 08:52 AM   #20

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
This seems to be HOT TOPIC!

My solution was to move from a trailer to a MH ;-)

When we had the trailer, I would prep everything just after getting up (while everyone else showered etc). Prepping - Drop ends in, leveling jacks up, hitch on the car, tongue up and car backed into place. Thenf let the DW prep the inside while I showered. Over 80% of the time I could get out without grease somewhere.
=================================
https://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote