Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2014, 12:14 AM   #1

snowbirding first time

I need a few suggestions for our first time snowbirding this year. We want to go to somewhere south or southwest. We have just started talking about this and not sure how to do this type of camping,,I mean not moving for awhile....
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:34 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to iowaborn
This year will be our first year snowbirding too. We picked Harlingen Texas and have a site reserved. Southern Florida and close to the coast was too expensive for our budget so we picked Texas this year.

If you have an android or apple device take a look at the app "allstays camp and rv" *http://www.allstays.com/apps/ . It is around $10 but well worth the cost as it saves me a lot of time researching. It will list campgrounds in any given area with provided links to websites. You can fiter criteria and display your selections on a map. I use low the low clearences filter a lot when selecting travel routes.

Back to your question, pick your desired wintering location and check out campgrouns, most will advertise that they are 55+ rv resorts and some will offer a 4 month stay for the price of 3.

The site we chose advised they are filling up fast.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:16 AM   #3
nosaint3

We full time but I have a fondness for the Louisiana people and culture. We bought a membership (snowbird) before I retired in Louisiana and enjoy the winter there. Six months of cajun food and the occasional party times(Mardi Gra). Also can just sit and relax with a beer when I want. I go to Michigan mostly in the summer but also travel around when the bank account allows.
nosaint3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:22 PM   #4

I live in Texas on a small ranch about 35 miles NNE of Houston and travel to the Lower Rio Grande Valley, Harlingen, McAllen, often and while there are lots of Winter Texans there, I will not be one of them. It is a low cost area and you can get very good dental work just over the border in Mexico, 40% or less then in the US.
For the best weather I will go to south Florida, below Palm Beach, on either coast. There is lots to do and many snowbirds to visit with. It is a little more costly then say Texas but so much nicer. Good Luck
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:12 PM   #5
Always Learning

If I snowbirded, I'd do what OldCoot does. Split time between Thousand Trails and a buy-in campground. 2 weeks at each place for the cost of the yearly dues.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:08 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
If I snowbirded, I'd do what OldCoot does. Split time between Thousand Trails and a buy-in campground. 2 weeks at each place for the cost of the yearly dues.
Yes, for a total of just under $1000 for 14-15 weeks is pretty economical @ less than $10/nite and full hookups.
Old 09-18-2014, 04:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
It is a low cost area and you can get very good dental work just over the border in Mexico, 40% or less then in the US.
My inlaws used to spend their winters in Harlingen and my MIL got new dentures in Mexico one year. They were huge, I teased her that somewhere in Mexico a horse was starving to death cause she had its teeth.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaborn View Post
My inlaws used to spend their winters in Harlingen and my MIL got new dentures in Mexico one year. They were huge, I teased her that somewhere in Mexico a horse was starving to death cause she had its teeth.
^

That right there is the funniest thing I've heard all day. Thanks for the laugh, iowaborn!
Nights camped in 2014:29 | 2013:33 | 2012:32 | 2011:33 | 2010:30
RockyMtnHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:40 AM   #9

We will be snowbirding for our first time in January, February, March of 2016. We do NOT want to stay in a resort/ park where we will be packed in like sardines in a can! We prefer daytime temps at 50° and above. We want FHUs, laundry facilities, and an exercise facility. We enjoy hiking and biking. Any suggestions for us? ?.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:27 AM   #10
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

We Liked Phoenix AZ. North Phoenix RV Park was 350 + elect per month. Not to bad all thought gravel lots they have a clubhouse, pool, and jacuzzi. Were currently paused in Lone Star Texas @ $275 + (also gravel) for a couple months then going further south to Port Auther area. Life is a hyway.....
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:27 PM   #11

Arrived in Harlingen Tx about 1pm yesterday . I've been sweating ever since arriving. Left in 14 degree weather, 81 here right now .
Old 12-04-2014, 04:54 PM   #12

Hi,

We've come to like Gulf State Park, near Gulf Shores, AL a lot. Sites are reservable for continuous occupancy from November to April, moderate temps, very snowbird friendly, and overall a well run Park. It was rebuilt a few years ago after a hurricane, and it's extremely modern, right down to a wi-fi network for campers.

There are about 500 sites, and they are laid out fairly loosely. The only problem is how far in advance you need to make your reservations to get in for the season.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
first time, snow