Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #101
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
I've had many a battle when I took too much space for my product. It gets ulgy and sometimes even costly ($). Part of my job I hated. Just lucky I worked for the bigger company with deep pockets.
Yes your company certainly has deep pockets and I am almost certain that a lot of the battles for shelf space was fought in the companies boardroom.

Your past employer certainly has a great line of products and occupy a great amount of shelf space. As you probably know, your past employer has their HQ's in Plano, Texas
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
I noticed people from different parts of the country refer to carbonated beverages (such as Coke or Pepsi) as either Pop or Soda. Just curious what you say, and where you're from.

We're from Michigan and 100% of the people say "Pop"
Eastern Missouri = soda
Western Missouri = pop
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #103

I grew up drinking pop and baking with soda. It's funny how there are such distinct geographic lines determining dialect!
JandNPrunick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #104
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandNPrunick View Post
I grew up drinking pop and baking with soda. It's funny how there are such distinct geographic lines determining dialect!
Sort of like what different people call their evening meal - supper or dinner
Old 04-16-2013, 11:09 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Sort of like what different people call their evening meal - supper or dinner
The LAST supper was around 2,000 years ago. Ever since then has it not been called dinner.

If I ask for a 7&7 I expect Seagram's Seven and 7-Up, not well whiskey and Sprite. Rum and Coke does not contain any Pepsi.

When asking for a specific product by a specific name one should get the requested product or an apology that they do not have it.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:12 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
I’m from Ontario we say pop and sub and we hit Tim’s for a medium double double formerly a large double double.
Nothing better then Timmy Ho's... we call it liquid crack....
Golflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #107

Yep...its Pop. Do you want that in a sack or a bag ?
And try a 7 & 7 using Vernor's...

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #108
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
The LAST supper was around 2,000 years ago. Ever since then has it not been called dinner.

If I ask for a 7&7 I expect Seagram's Seven and 7-Up, not well whiskey and Sprite. Rum and Coke does not contain any Pepsi.

When asking for a specific product by a specific name one should get the requested product or an apology that they do not have it.
I do not believe that "supper" has not been used since the last supper. I will have to goggle the terms later.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #109

In western PA we call it POP!
ASHCACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #110
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golflover View Post
Nothing better then Timmy Ho's... we call it liquid crack....
I love T. Hortons. My liquid crack is Starbucks Regular Coffee. Zoom!
Old 04-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #111

Quote:
I do not believe that "supper" has not been used since the last supper. I will have to goggle the terms later.
You realizine I was joking, of course. See the smiley.

Wikipedia has a reasonable entry for supper that makes some sense.

Seems that one usage is supper is informal, mom, dad and the kids at the kitchen table. Dinner is more formal, a birthday dinner in the dining room.

Also appears to be regional in usage.

Which ever meal of the day was the biggest, no matter what time that was, then that was dinner. Apparently you can not have supper unless you also have dinner. That makes sense. I have relatives that eat supper at noon and dinner around 6PM. They do not eat lunch because in there vocabulary there is no such thing. Just breakfast, supper and dinner.

My dad really confused his brother. We were going to drive for 4 hours to visit. Dad said to hold supper for us. My dad used supper and dinner as the same meal. Dad expected to arrive around 6PM. Poor uncle Charlie got very worried around 2 and phoned the police to report us missing. That was around 1965 and I have never forgotten that story.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #112
Plain Old Member

Everything's referred to as a Coke to us, no matter what it is. I drink Diet Coke, Wife drinks Dr. Pepper, but if anybody in our family asks for something, it's referred to as a Coke, which translates to whatever that person usually drinks.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #113
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Everything's referred to as a Coke to us, no matter what it is. I drink Diet Coke, Wife drinks Dr. Pepper, but if anybody in our family asks for something, it's referred to as a Coke, which translates to whatever that person usually drinks.
I have a little story about Dr.Pepper and my first encounter with it.

I joined the U.S.A.F in July of 1960 and like all other new enlisted troops I was sent to Lackland AFB in San Antonio, Texas for basic training. As most of us know, San Antonio in July is very hot. As new troops, we were not allowed any soft drinks for the first few weeks of training. Being from upstate NY back then, Dr.Pepper was unknown to me as it was not sold in that part of the country and I was used to drinking Coke, Hires Root Beer and other various soft drinks.

After the first few weeks in San Antonio, we were finally allowed our first what was called "Patio Break" where we could purchase soft drinks from vending machines located around the base.

I was very thirsty for any kind of soft drink so I punched the first button that I saw. The drink I purchased was a Dr.Pepper. After my first swallow, I went to the edge of the patio and spit it out. I was not used to the taste of it as it tasted nothing like I was accustomed to back in NY.

I have never drank another Dr.Pepper to this day.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #114
Plain Old Member

Dr. Pepper is not my favorite by no means, but, wife hates Diet Coke. We agree to disagree on flavors. I don't like, and don't need all the sugar. I could see how if you'd never had a Dr. Pepper, it'd be quite a shock.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #115
MI Camperz

Quote:
I have a little story about Dr.Pepper and my first encounter with it.

I joined the U.S.A.F in July of 1960 and like all other new enlisted troops I was sent to Lackland AFB in San Antonio, Texas for basic training. As most of us know, San Antonio in July is very hot. As new troops, we were not allowed any soft drinks for the first few weeks of training. Being from upstate NY back then, Dr.Pepper was unknown to me as it was not sold in that part of the country and I was used to drinking Coke, Hires Root Beer and other various soft drinks.

After the first few weeks in San Antonio, we were finally allowed our first what was called "Patio Break" where we could purchase soft drinks from vending machines located around the base.

I was very thirsty for any kind of soft drink so I punched the first button that I saw. The drink I purchased was a Dr.Pepper. After my first swallow, I went to the edge of the patio and spit it out. I was not used to the taste of it as it tasted nothing like I was accustomed to back in NY.

I have never drank another Dr.Pepper to this day.

I believe he said he had to pee.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #116
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Dr. Pepper is not my favorite by no means, but, wife hates Diet Coke. We agree to disagree on flavors. I don't like, and don't need all the sugar. I could see how if you'd never had a Dr. Pepper, it'd be quite a shock.
"Quite a shock" is an understatement I cannot stand the smell of it and I have bite my tongue every time I have to buy it for my wife. She is a native born Texan and somehow they seem to like the stuff.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #117
MI Camperz

It's a Southern thang!
Old 04-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #118
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
It's a Southern thang!
It was back then, but now it is nationwide. I guess I will never understand people's taste

There is a small town about 100 miles from here called Dublin where until recently they made and bottled the stuff using natural sugar.

I also remember back when they pushed it as being a drink of choice in the winter if you heated it up.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #119
MI Camperz

Yuck! Now warm Vernors is awesome! It's for the common cold and flu.
(Vernors = very special Ginger Ale in MI.)
Old 04-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #120
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
You realizine I was joking, of course. See the smiley.

Wikipedia has a reasonable entry for supper that makes some sense.

Seems that one usage is supper is informal, mom, dad and the kids at the kitchen table. Dinner is more formal, a birthday dinner in the dining room.

Also appears to be regional in usage.

Which ever meal of the day was the biggest, no matter what time that was, then that was dinner. Apparently you can not have supper unless you also have dinner. That makes sense. I have relatives that eat supper at noon and dinner around 6PM. They do not eat lunch because in there vocabulary there is no such thing. Just breakfast, supper and dinner.

My dad really confused his brother. We were going to drive for 4 hours to visit. Dad said to hold supper for us. My dad used supper and dinner as the same meal. Dad expected to arrive around 6PM. Poor uncle Charlie got very worried around 2 and phoned the police to report us missing. That was around 1965 and I have never forgotten that story.
In northern Missouri, we had breakfast, dinner and supper. Dinner was always at noon and supper at night. My folks always joked and said they were not in a high enough income bracket to have breakfast, lunch and dinner.