Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2014, 08:34 PM   #1
RKR

Southern Weather

My thoughts and prayers out to the Southern States, be strong. I see many stories of people coming together to help one another.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1391045550.017266.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	45504
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:55 PM   #2
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKR View Post
My thoughts and prayers out to the Southern States, be strong. I see many stories of people coming together to help one another.

Attachment 45504
X2. It was on the national news tonight that GA.has sent helicopters out to scout for stranded motorists.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:56 PM   #3
phat phrog stunt crew

Where is that at. Nice thing tho, it will be gone in a few days.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
X2. It was on the national news tonight that GA.has sent helicopters out to scout for stranded motorists.
They did that here in B'ham too because so many people walked away from their cars no one could get through, but some would not leave their car.
CampingDixieDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:01 PM   #5
RKR

That pic is from Atlanta
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:26 PM   #6
NELA

Not sure about GA, but during the time of the OP we were predicted to have the same. It was a no show, thankfully.

Right now we're *again* under that weather forecast. Last night the ice was a no show, again thankfully.

Today we're predicted to have more ice than was predicted last night, so I burned through an AL day for today...

So I'm watching the weather-in-motion map and it appears that front is splitting just before it reaches us, going south and north of us...thankfully.

I'm *not* burning through another AL leave day for tomorrow. I'm going to work come heck or frozen water.

DOTD brought in a fleet salt trucks and tons of salt for last night and today....(sigh)

We pulled our 5er out into the driveway last night to get it out from under the many huge water oaks and live oaks in the back yard...only ice I saw this morning was a few 1/2 inch ice cycles on the nose of the 5er. Better safe than sorry...leaving it there through tonight. Kept it on shore power even though it's winterized so we're keeping the small heater on inside...yeah I'm paranoid about freezing anything inside it.

The wind is screaming right now. 32* with WCF of 24* I am *SICK* of this winter!

Yes, I know those in the great white north are having much more severe weather, but we're not used to this down in the deep south!

OK, I'm done whining...for now....nope I don't feel any better about it.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:27 PM   #7
NELA

Oh, I forgot...one positive thing about this nasteh weather;

Don't even have to put our sodas in the fridge in the garage. Just set 'em on the floor still in the carton out there and they're dang near frozen! :-}

Old 02-11-2014, 01:03 PM   #8
B47

It's 30 here now with a predicted high of 36 and a low tonight of 27- no snow

The Weather Channel last night was predicting severe weather starting later today and continuing for the next few days for the Atlanta area.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:23 PM   #9
NELA

Our map is changing by the minute. 30 minutes ago we were covered in GREEN, meaning freezing rain!

Now we're covered in PINK, meaning sleet. I'll take sleet any day over freezing rain. Sleet bounces off the tree limbs, and with freezing rain every pine needle becomes a HUGE icicle, bringing down tree limbs across power lines.

Beginning to look like I should have worked today and saved the AL leave day for tomorrow.

I gave DH my 4wd Jeep today because Biff is still hooked up to Buffy in the driveway. He called just now on his way back to work from lunch and said it's sprinkling rain on him.

I hate weather forecasters!

I was telling DH a bit ago that they've begun doing to us with winter forecasts the same thing they do with hurricanes and tornadoes. They either go WAY overboard predicting total disaster and it turns out to be nothing, (yesterday/last night for example) or they go WAY underboard and we're caught off guard like Atlanta was a couple weeks ago. With today's technology you'd think they could be more precise.

"They" can send Google Earth over my home, especially Google Street View and one can count the blooms on the rose bushes in my yard, but "they" can't accurately predict the weather?

Old timers use black birds to predict bad winter weather. If I go by that we're in for a rough time. My entire property is covered in black birds right now, front and back yard. I'm thinkin' I'll go out and scatter a sack of deer corn for 'em. Maybe I'll garner brownie points with mother nature if I do that.

Old 02-11-2014, 03:36 PM   #10

I am unamused by the fact that it is warmer at the Olympics than it is here in southern Idaho.....
Old 02-11-2014, 03:53 PM   #11
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I am unamused by the fact that it is warmer at the Olympics than it is here in southern Idaho.....
Wasn't in warmer in some parts of Alaska than in some of the southern states recently also?
Old 02-11-2014, 04:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Wasn't in warmer in some parts of Alaska than in some of the southern states recently also?
I have seen that before, so I would not doubt it one bit.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:11 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Oh, I forgot...one positive thing about this nasteh weather;

Don't even have to put our sodas in the fridge in the garage. Just set 'em on the floor still in the carton out there and they're dang near frozen! :-}
You are right about that. I had some Power-aids in the back of my truck, and they are cold.

Come on down to the shop, and I'll treat you to some hot chocolate.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:24 PM   #14
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
You are right about that. I had some Power-aids in the back of my truck, and they are cold.

Come on down to the shop, and I'll treat you to some hot chocolate.
Ummm that'd be nice, but I'd have to walk. DH has my Jeep and his truck's still hooked up to the 5er in the driveway.

thanks for the offer though!

I feel bad for your employees. Are you givin' them hot chocolate? they're out there in the shop while you're all cozy in there in your office.

Remember, I've been there a few times....never caught you out in that shop! Ya *did* come out and check something (low tire pressure indicator) on DH's truck once when I drove it over there, but that doesn't count! It wasn't freezing cold that day!

If you ain't doin' so, give 'em hot chocolate!

Old 02-11-2014, 05:08 PM   #15
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Ummm that'd be nice, but I'd have to walk. DH has my Jeep and his truck's still hooked up to the 5er in the driveway.

thanks for the offer though!

I feel bad for your employees. Are you givin' them hot chocolate? they're out there in the shop while you're all cozy in there in your office.

Remember, I've been there a few times....never caught you out in that shop! Ya *did* come out and check something (low tire pressure indicator) on DH's truck once when I drove it over there, but that doesn't count! It wasn't freezing cold that day!

If you ain't doin' so, give 'em hot chocolate!
wntire - I always thought you were a nice guy. Come on with the hot chocolate for your employees and maybe a bit more.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:26 PM   #16
phat phrog stunt crew

warming trend here in illinois. -14 acording to my truck thermometer this morning, only going down to +10 tonight. a 24 degree temp swing. supposedly near 50 by sunday, but rain is forecast. i think i heard somebody mutter near 60 by midweek.

i can only hope.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:10 PM   #17
NELA

And so it begins....grrrrrr

We're getting sleet equivalent to a solid rainfall.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:22 PM   #18

I'm right in the bulls-eye....
Hudlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:31 PM   #19
Site Team

North Louisiana is getting hit hard now and expected to go all night. Please pray for power line workers. Those guys really earn their money in these ice storms.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140211_182957.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	46095

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:36 PM   #20
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
North Louisiana is getting hit hard now and expected to go all night. Please pray for power line workers. Those guys really earn their money in these ice storms.

Attachment 46095
They certainly do. A Dallas Fireman lost his life last night while attempting to assist a motorist involved in an accident on an ice covered bridge. He slipped and fell onto the highway below.