Old 03-19-2016, 05:03 PM   #1
Talk about a trade in insult

Wife and I been all over looking at toy haulers .And she seen a Xlr nitr she really liked .Company was a whole sale rv place the said.
Gave them My trade in price with out seeing it . which is My Sandpiper.
They told us 15k
They said they discounted the new rv so much that's why.And they would sell it for 17k on their lot.
Even the nada guide the gave me said whole sale trade in was 20,550.
Talk about getting a low blow

2007.5 Chevy 3500Ltz cc lb Duramax
2010 Sandpiper 345 RET (SOLD)
hrlyguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:16 PM   #2
Sounds like they are probably shooting you straight actually. It's not a rip off, it's just an offer that you can take or leave. These wholesalers do mark their units WAYYY down, well...Jeff Couch does anyway. I can see how they can't leave any room on trades. Why don't you sell your unit and then go get the good deal from the wholesaler? Probably work out best for you that way.

bandtroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:19 PM   #3
Shop around to see what others would give you and compare numbers. It's just like car sales one place will give you better trade but the price of new is higher. I sold my old camper outright because they would only give me $1000 and NADA had $6000 value.

Now that you wife likes a certain model shop around dealers that can get you that one at the price/trade in deal that makes you comfortable.

I drove seven hours to Ohio to get mine because no one local was willing to make the right deal.
2016 Grey Wolf 26rr
2005 Honda VTX 1300
2002 F150 5.4L extended cab 6.5 bed
Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:26 PM   #4
We did get a offer for 22k for ours at another dealer on a 2015 vengeance that was about same price as we looked at this place.
But When we drove 2 hours away to see it in person some one put a phone deposit on it and couldn't sell it to us.
We were mad but couldn't do nothing about it except more shopping.
I did put ours on Craigslist see how that goes .With everything new and a Warranty see if it will sell
2007.5 Chevy 3500Ltz cc lb Duramax
2010 Sandpiper 345 RET (SOLD)
hrlyguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:46 PM   #5
We bought our (used) TT from a reputable dealer for the same price folks were asking on CL, eBay, etc.... The dealer kept the price low because they were having a big sale on new units, same as ours, and they included a "free" Equalizer 4 WDH, installation of WDH, new battery, new CO2 detector, full propane, and $100 store credit.

Best of all, they also included a pressurized leak test & re-caulking, adjusted both slide-out cables & the power awning, and provided a 2.5 hour PDI which I videotaped for future reference. Friends & family who bought from them receive faster service w/reasonable pricing vs. folks who bought their RVs elsewhere... We have camped for 2 seasons without any serious issues, so IMO we got a good deal on a great unit.

So, if I were to buy from a private seller, who cannot offer the same level of service, I'd better get a truly great deal. IMO dealers don't want a lot of used RVs cluttering their lots so they offer low trade-in values & then price them to move quickly. The person trading in takes the hit, not the dealer, or the new buyer. The unit we bought was a trade-in on a more expensive RV & it was only on their lot a couple days before we snatched it up. They didn't even get the ad posted online let-alone on their printed advertisements....

Note on deposits - Multiple salespersons are showing the same RVs to multiple potential buyers... The first person to make a deposit tags it as a "sold" item so that other competing salespersons cannot sell it... That's only fair & our dealer said they would refund the $1000 if we found something during the PDI that made us change our mind.
2011 RAM 2500 ST Crew Cab 5.7 Hemi
2011 Primetime 3150BHD Touring Edition
Days camped in 2016-36
Days camped in 2015-37; Days camped in 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:40 PM   #6
cogito ergo moo
NADA seems to be worthless. They say my Roo is worth like $23,000 market value. I tell you what... Someone offers me $23k for it, the title would hit them in the face so fast it would make their eyes spin. They also say my Excursion is only worth $8800. You would need about 3 times that to buy it off me.

The value of your rig is not what NADA or KBB says it is, but what people in your area would be willing to pay for it, and what you would be willing to take to part with it

FROG Member MO-0008-571 Since 2012
Temporarily Camperless
Nights camped 2016 -9
Nights Reserved 077121212125 ..........My Project Blog:

Cowracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:49 PM   #7
What they offer is actually immaterial. What the new one sells for is immaterial. IF you are trading an old for a new, one number matters, and one number only. The difference.

If I'm trading anything, usually a vehicle, for a new one.......I will tell them "I'll trade wholesale to wholesale, OR retail to retail, but don't offer me wholesale for my trade in and try to sell me yours for retail". That usually works, and the few times they balked when I said that, I walked.
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:11 PM   #8
It's all what they want to pay.

I toyed with the idea of a super c.
They offered me 37k cdn, for my fifth, that I paid 60k for, 6 month prior. ( used two nights )
Nada had a value of 55k usd.

They were selling the Force, at a loss, so that was that!!
Reality set in, and came to my senses... I don't really need a $250k motor home for 4 months of the year. But, it sure was pretty!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1458529852.682482.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	102461

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS

Kenny kustom is offline   Reply With Quote