Old 07-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
Another rat in the race
The Good - Bad- Old Days

This was started as a response in another thread and moved for off topic reasons, which I completely understand.

-end disclaimer

My DW and I are one of the next generation, and I can tell you it is an up hill battle. We eat dinner at the dinner table every night, the kids are sent outside (with out tech) for most of the the day to play, we DO spank our kids from time to time (my 4 yr old will not understand the painful transfer of electrons from the plug to his hand through a time out but he will understand if I put this metal object near a plug again I'll get my but popped). I expect my neighbors to punish my kids when they do something wrong in front of an adult (and I encourage it), my kids do have chores and they do not get paid for them its called living in my house, and probably the worst of all if they want a drink of water and they are outside run the hose til its cold then take a drink there's no need to muddy up the house.

I survived bears on the way to school, snow on the roads, NO protective gear (with a life long case of boredom, bad combo) mom's wooden spoon, dads belt, older brothers beatings, fessing up for your mistakes and no recognition for your accomplishments and after 35+yrs I'm glad my parents treated me like their kid not a voter in the next popularity contest.

Like my dad said, If my kids hated me enough to move out get a job to pay their own bills and not live under my rules anymore then I did something right.

Most of my kids friends won't come over to my house and some of the parents too. Here's the weird part, my brother is one of the other type of parent, my parents and myself cant figure it out.

A rainy day camping is better than any sunny day at work
2004 F250 V10 SD Xcab 2011 Wildwood T26BHXL
jar3316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
IT Guru
Send a message via AIM to jsilvius Send a message via Skype™ to jsilvius

2006 Flagstaff 831FKSS
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Turbo Diesel Quad Cab
1 - DH (me); 1 - DW (Tee); 1 - DS (Jarod, 12)
Nights Camping: 2010 - 15; 2011 - 7; 2012 - 9
jsilvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
Amen!!! Amen!!! And get this our kids have left home and have good jobs and can take care of themselves.
Dennis and Julie
2012 Flagstaff 30WFKSS
2006 Chevy Silverado 1500
2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2013 nights reserved/camped 46/71
2014 nights reserved/camped 6/21
Dennis and Julie is online now   Reply With Quote