Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2014, 01:23 PM   #21

We camp in the U.S. a lot. I never fly my Canadian flag out of respect for the U.S. while there. I do not own an American flag. When camping in Canada, I always fly my flag. People can tell where you're from by your vehicle plates. IMHO.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:24 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Not trying to start an issue here and I'm not thinking or implying that you are dis-respectful, but why don't you care about displaying your country's flag properly? There are protocols and established customs for displaying the flag that reflect what your flag stands for and what the men and women fought for under that flag.

Not too difficult to display it properly.
Maybe I didn't explain my thoughts correctly, or maybe I didn't read the links correctly. But as I read Rick and Paulette's web page it stated the correct way to fly the flags was on separates flagpoles of equal height, thus the remarks in my previous post of campers carrying flagpoles. I suppose the other options is the crossed flag display. Thanks for your reply, you're right it,s not that difficult to do it properly and I will.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:29 PM   #23
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
Maybe I didn't explain my thoughts correctly, or maybe I didn't read the links correctly. But as I read Rick and Paulette's web page it stated the correct way to fly the flags was on separates flagpoles of equal height, thus the remarks in my previous post of campers carrying flagpoles. I suppose the other options is the crossed flag display. Thanks for your reply, you're right it,s not that difficult to do it properly and I will.
You're welcomed and I'm certain you and others respect your country's flag as much as I and others respect ours.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:35 PM   #24

Piperman I love it when Canadians fly their flag in the US. I have traveled on snowmobile in Canada and have loved the remoteness of the country and the people. We have run into the most wonderful helpful folks and I always take time to welcome Canadians when I see the Maple Leaf flying proudly. Please always let it fly and boo to anyone that doesn't like it.
We hope to make our first trip to Canada next year in a MH and will most likely fly both flags.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:52 PM   #25
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Not trying to start an issue here and I'm not thinking or implying that you are dis-respectful, but why don't you care about displaying your country's flag properly? There are protocols and established customs for displaying the flag that reflect what your flag stands for and what the men and women fought for under that flag.

Not too difficult to display it properly.

Out of curiosity- is it better to fly a flag improperly or not at all?
Old 01-01-2014, 01:59 PM   #26
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Kind of asking why the chicken crossed the road

Not sure there is a clear cut answer to that. I would think it depends on the circumstances at the time e.g. In wartime I think it's just important to get it flying. In peacetime,probably better to do it properly.

That's my take on it.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #27
Mod free 5er

Quote:
My grandpappy always told me, "Either do it right or don't do it at all", but he wasn't talking about our Flag, but I think it applies.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:39 PM   #28

What I do know about flying another Country flag is respecting that country. In maritime law that I know about and the requirement is that once you enter a Country's water you fly there flag from the mast or yard arm. You still are required to fly our flag in my case was off the stern of the boat. I traveled to 15 different Countries in 5 years trying to sail around the world and had to have there flag flying. It is due to respect. Under the Country flag when you enter port you add a quarantine yellow flag until port official comes out to your vessel to sign you in. You fly that flag (Country) until you hit international waters again. If I was going to Canada I would also follow that same procedure. It is a sign of respect to them. So if I ever go to Canada I would make sure I also flew there flag also. If I was going to fly the good old stars and strips.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:45 PM   #29

I always fly the Texas Flag along side of the American Flag. Texas is the only state that can fly its flag at the same height a USA flag. Always fly them properly.
Poppy Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:49 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy Bill View Post
I always fly the Texas Flag along side of the American Flag. Texas is the only state that can fly its flag at the same height a USA flag. Always fly them properly.
It is the same in Virginia as long as they are on different poles, If it is on 1 pole the USA is on top.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:01 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My DW's family is from your great state and we had this conversation with her kin a few years ago. The bottom line is that all state flags may fly at the same height as the U.S. flag.

Its about 1/3 of the way down this page ...

Flag Frequently Asked Questions

And here, too ...

http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:01 PM   #32

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
All state flags can be flown along side the Stars and Stripes. They cannot be flown above the US flag or in what is considered a state of prominence. See attached verbage from the US Code of Federal Regulations.

(c) No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the same level, to the
right of the flag of the United States of America, except during church services
conducted by naval chaplains at sea, when the church pennant may be flown
above the flag during church services for the personnel of the Navy. No person
shall display the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international
flag equal, above, or in a position of superior prominence or honor to or in place
of the flag of the United States or any Territory or possession thereof: Provided,
That nothing in this section shall make unlawful the continuance of the practice
heretofore followed of displaying the flag of the United Nations in a position of
superior prominence or honor, and other national flags in positions of equal
prominence or honor, with that of the flag of the United States at the
headquarters of the United Nations

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Rockford, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:04 PM   #33

Sorry, Poppy - Not True
While the Lone Star flag may be special to Texans, nothing in federal law makes it more special than any other state's flag.
There is nothing in Federal law which states the Texas Flag is equal to the US Flag in any way. It may be for Texans but it is not any more special than any other State flag. Check out the US Flag law before stating feelings. Sorry, but it is what it is. What gljurczyk says is true, and no flag can be flown higher than the US Flag, equal to, not higher with the exception of the "church" flag which is struck after services.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:08 PM   #34
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I have been told not to fly it if you do not know flag etiquette.
Camped 2012 19, 2013 110, 2014 129, 2015 97
2016 93, 2017 79, 2018 84, 2019 59, 2020 0,
2021 4 reserved
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:09 PM   #35

Oh you need to be careful bursting a Texan's bubble. Having lived there I know they are a rightfully proud bunch. If they ever become an independent country again I would be knocking on the door.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:40 PM   #36

Click image for larger version

Name:	US_Canada_Flag.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	44360Here is one flag that will cover both countries. Only one flag pole needed.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 03:46 PM   #37
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
Attachment 44360Here is one flag that will cover both countries. Only one flag pole needed.
You have a copyright or patent on that?
Old 01-01-2014, 03:59 PM   #38
B47

Quote:
Talk about stirring up a Hornets nest
Old 01-01-2014, 04:22 PM   #39

Quote:
You have a copyright or patent on that?
They are available at many souvenir stores in our area.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:24 PM   #40
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
They are available at many souvenir stores in our area.
Really? I might pick one up if and when I'm ever up in Canada again.

Thanks