So, our first trip with the dialysis machine (starting Friday) is off to a rocky start:
Storms went through and we lost power to the house about 9PM.
Gave them an hour to get it back on, but with the DW on home dialysis, I could not wait much longer to get her and all her (pre-set up
) equipment moved to the camper; get the generator powered up and connected; open it up and set it up as we would be camping (thus weekend!
) all the while in 90 degree 100% humidity and the dog freaked out from the heavy thunder. Been a while since she was this bad and we could not find her medicine!
Plans for today completely shot as we did not get much sleep while trying to work the bugs out of the dialysis set up I had planned to do in daylight! Turns out the rubber seal on the shower door compresses the drain tube enough to turn on the "slow drain" alarm every 15 minutes till I figured it out.
The unit, plus TWO 5 liter bags of dialysate, and all the filled connecting hoses are heavy!
The PD nurse trainer's advice for this situation (yes, I did ask during training - which shocked them as no one had ever asked before) turned out to be wrong.
They said the machine had a battery that would hold everything for two hours in the event of power failure was incorrect. Turns out no battery and I had to re-run the entire setup checklist to get the machine caught up to the point where she gets connected (when the power failed). Had she been connected, I have no clue as to what would have happened. Call to the manufacturer going out today.
Can't wait for Friday. Luckily, one of our PD nurses and her husband will be camping at the campground just down the road from us this weekend.