Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2014, 09:10 PM   #201
PPST OGCDG

Herk Thanks for the update Y'all are in our Prayers.
Frank-VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:15 PM   #202
Site Team

Glad to hear it.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:32 AM   #203

Great News, Thanks for the update, Ours Prayers are with you as always....

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:33 AM   #204
Site Team - Lou

Final loading for the Rally this weekend is in progress.
We can not wait...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:12 AM   #205
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
... We discovered a new Mod for the cycler when traveling and the PD nurses are going to spread the word through their channels.

Also invented a way for her to use a hot tub and swim with it...
Now THAT sounds like Herk! Tinkering, improving, documenting, and getting the word out. Watch for details at a Herk-brary near you.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:36 AM   #206
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post
Now THAT sounds like Herk! Tinkering, improving, documenting, and getting the word out. Watch for details at a Herk-brary near you.
YOU da man!

Thanks for holding her Goshen supplies till we get there. Will be ordering them today (after her month order gets here - no sense confusing them).

Was more like "re-purposing" items to solve problems.

Since when staying at a beach condo (planned in late August) and at our friend's house involve bedrooms too far from the bath to use as a drain, we found we can use a 24 hour urine collection bag as a sealed drain and it holds her drain contents perfectly so she can travel to places she could not before (or with "25 feet of extension hoses" that run along the floor all over the house!).

The other "re-purposed" idea involved using a colostomy stoma seal used for patients with that system for showering, to completely cover her portal, hose and valve so she can swim in a pool or even use a hot tub (normally prohibited). The seal is completely waterproof and disposable.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:58 AM   #207
Site Team - Lou

So, our first trip with the dialysis machine (starting Friday) is off to a rocky start:

Storms went through and we lost power to the house about 9PM.

Gave them an hour to get it back on, but with the DW on home dialysis, I could not wait much longer to get her and all her (pre-set up ) equipment moved to the camper; get the generator powered up and connected; open it up and set it up as we would be camping (thus weekend! ) all the while in 90 degree 100% humidity and the dog freaked out from the heavy thunder. Been a while since she was this bad and we could not find her medicine!

Plans for today completely shot as we did not get much sleep while trying to work the bugs out of the dialysis set up I had planned to do in daylight! Turns out the rubber seal on the shower door compresses the drain tube enough to turn on the "slow drain" alarm every 15 minutes till I figured it out.

The unit, plus TWO 5 liter bags of dialysate, and all the filled connecting hoses are heavy!

The PD nurse trainer's advice for this situation (yes, I did ask during training - which shocked them as no one had ever asked before) turned out to be wrong.

They said the machine had a battery that would hold everything for two hours in the event of power failure was incorrect. Turns out no battery and I had to re-run the entire setup checklist to get the machine caught up to the point where she gets connected (when the power failed). Had she been connected, I have no clue as to what would have happened. Call to the manufacturer going out today.

Can't wait for Friday. Luckily, one of our PD nurses and her husband will be camping at the campground just down the road from us this weekend.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:31 AM   #208
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
So, our first trip with the dialysis machine (starting Friday) is off to a rocky start:

Gave them an hour to get it back on, but with the DW on home dialysis, I could not wait much longer to get her and all her (pre-set up ) equipment moved to the camper; get the generator powered up and connected; open it up and set it up as we would be camping (thus weekend! ) all the while in 90 degree 100% humidity and the dog freaked out from the heavy thunder. Been a while since she was this bad and we could not find her medicine!

Plans for today completely shot as we did not get much sleep while trying to work the bugs out of the dialysis set up I had planned to do in daylight! Turns out the rubber seal on the shower door compresses the drain tube enough to turn on the "slow drain" alarm every 15 minutes till I figured it out.

The unit, plus TWO 5 liter bags of dialysate, and all the filled connecting hoses are heavy!

The PD nurse trainer's advice for this situation (yes, I did ask during training - which shocked them as no one had ever asked before) turned out to be wrong.

They said the machine had a battery that would hold everything for two hours in the event of power failure was incorrect. Turns out no battery and I had to re-run the entire setup checklist to get the machine caught up to the point where she gets connected (when the power failed). Had she been connected, I have no clue as to what would have happened. Call to the manufacturer going out today.

Can't wait for Friday. Luckily, one of our PD nurses and her husband will be camping at the campground just down the road from us this weekend.
Lou your a man of steel buddy!
Takes a lot of heart soul and dedication!
You keep up the good work and reassure Laura you've got it handled!
We're thinking about you!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #209
Site Team - Lou

Should be much better by the weekend.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:57 AM   #210
DDC

Good luck this weekend you are having a lot of issues and managing them well, I can't imagine the emotional stress you must be under.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:08 AM   #211

Quote:

Lou,

Really sad to hear about all the difficulties. Perhaps I can help in one area. We have friends who have a dog that freaks when thunder is on TV They got this item and no more drugs and poochie is fine:
Thundershirt | The Best Dog Anxiety Treatment

You and Laura are in our thoughts and prayers daily - looking forward to seeing you at Goshen in 3 weeks!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #212
NELA

Herk,

Not sure if you have it in your state, but here in LA there is a registry for those with health/medical issues that depend on power (oxygen, etc.). This registry is maintained by our power company and these customers are considered "priority response" when there are power outages.

Edited to add: of course this would only be relevant when you and Ms. Laura are at home base, not camping.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:33 AM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Herk,

Not sure if you have it in your state, but here in LA there is a registry for those with health/medical issues that depend on power (oxygen, etc.). This registry is maintained by our power company and these customers are considered "priority response" when there are power outages.

Edited to add: of course this would only be relevant when you and Ms. Laura are at home base, not camping.
Yes, in PA there is such a "list" but Herk will have to call his utility, either PECO OR PPL, as they maintain it for their region.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:50 AM   #214
NELA

Yes, the patient or patient's family makes the call. I think it helps expedite matters if a doctor or medical facility letter is provided.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:14 PM   #215
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Lou,

Really sad to hear about all the difficulties. Perhaps I can help in one area. We have friends who have a dog that freaks when thunder is on TV They got this item and no more drugs and poochie is fine:
Thundershirt | The Best Dog Anxiety Treatment

You and Laura are in our thoughts and prayers daily - looking forward to seeing you at Goshen in 3 weeks!
Have a tight field vest that seems to help normally, but between the thunder and mom and dad running like chickens really did her in. Good news; found her meds so we should be ready if we have a repeat tonight.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:11 PM   #216

Your a good man Herk, and may God bless you and Laura, I'm hoping to see you in Goshen, May you have safe journeys together. Your quite a man my friend and she is quite the lady. Best wishes to both of you.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:57 PM   #217
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post
Yes, in PA there is such a "list" but Herk will have to call his utility, either PECO OR PPL, as they maintain it for their region.
OK, I checked this out and here is the PA "skinny"

Yes, there is such a list.

The person must submit an application to get on the list.

The paperwork must be signed by a medical professional (a nurse will do).

The application is only good for 30 days and must be re-submitted every month.

Since nearly every street in PA has at least one person on the list, the only real priority is given to patients on respirators (who get bumped to the top).

In reality, no one else gets priority restoration services.

Power is restored by the maximum amount of customers that can be restored in order of actionable failure.

Transformers off public access roads are served dead last after all transformers/poles on public byways have been restored unless a respirator dependent person is off that private road.

Another great idea ruined.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:03 PM   #218
NELA

Is a whole house generator an option for y'all?

Mom was on oxygen for the last three years of her life, and while we got them on the "first fixed" list, Dad has the whole house generator for "insurance" (as he's approaching that situation quickly now).

Or maybe solar panel for part of the house....there were HUGE rebates for installation of solar for a few years...not sure those are still in effect.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:00 AM   #219

Quote:
OK, I checked this out and here is the PA "skinny"

Yes, there is such a list.

The person must submit an application to get on the list.

The paperwork must be signed by a medical professional (a nurse will do).

The application is only good for 30 days and must be re-submitted every month.

Since nearly every street in PA has at least one person on the list, the only real priority is given to patients on respirators (who get bumped to the top).

In reality, no one else gets priority restoration services.

Power is restored by the maximum amount of customers that can be restored in order of actionable failure.

Transformers off public access roads are served dead last after all transformers/poles on public byways have been restored unless a respirator dependent person is off that private road.

Another great idea ruined.
Ok. I learned something there. I had no idea it was a 30 day cycle. That isn't know by the average employee where I work.

My company usually does restore as you have stated, precisely. Biggest number of customers with minimal effort first. Then restore the main feeders. Finally connect the single customers.

I know though that there have been expedited restorations due to medical conditions. Today we had one in which a person was on oxygen, but not a tank, it was a generator. This person called to report the outage, and just mentioned her condition. The crew was sent to restored her power as soon as that particular circuit was restored. Her neighbors won't get power until possibly Saturday afternoon. Was it priority or could it could have been that that crew's dispatcher has a soft heart too.

BTW, another 16+ hours on the clock. Another day tomorrow. I'm tired and going to bed. Gotta be back in the office in 6 hours.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:16 AM   #220

Herk,
Good luck this weekend. Can't wait to see you both at Goshen.
FROG Member
FMCA Member #F438633 - Good Sam Life Member
Coachmens Owners Group Member
ResQfrog is offline   Reply With Quote