Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2010, 10:59 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to pjeffreysr1
Thumbs DOWN on one of the BIG THREE Campgrounds in MB

We started to reserve a site this year at Lakewood (Myrtle Beach) after they sent us a flyer reminding us that the season was starting. We have camped there for five years-mainly because they are supposed to be a "Christain" campground. However, after being on the phone with them for 15 minutes (and having given personal and credit card info) I was advised that we had been declared as "undesirable" by the management due to an incident at the camp store last year. Let me explain: my wife (who is the Sunday school Secretary at the church we attend, and where I am a Deacon) found a wallet which had been left on a table. She is not a person who trusts those she does not know - not even "security officers". She removed the contents and turned the wallet over to a "rent a cop" - telling him at the time to please have the owner come see her in the camp store parking lot for the contents. Next thing she knows, another one (an EX COP) has her by the arm taking her into a back room of the store. He then starts to question her by saying: "Just agree with me and you will be out of here in a few minutes." Then "Marshall Dillon" really stuck his foot in it by saying: "I know you stole that wallet, because I SAW you spend money directly from it." (She was so nervous, that when she took the money out to hand to "Marshall Dillon", she actually gave him $10.00 more than was originally in it.) She was able to call me to come to the store, where I heard this 'goon' badgering her and forbidding me to be with her. After which her cell phone was taken from her and not returned until we left the store to pack up camp. Se was so terrified I was afraid she might have a heart attack (she does have heart problems). Finally they called the owner of the wallet (an employee) who said everything was there and refused to press charges. In fact the wallet owner apologized for my wife being detained by security. Then another female employee (who was trying to get on the MB police force) tried to pressure the wallet owner into pressing charges. When that did not work, the wanna be cop started saying the wallet was HERS. We were finally ORDERED off the premises with only 2 hours to break camp - and NO REFUNDS. We lost over $700.00 (camp site and golf cart rent). MORAL - If you go there - touch nothing you can not PROVE is yours. I was advised by an attorney, that we definitely have grounds for a suit, but the time lost from work, travel, etc, was not worth it to us. We were able to book at another resort for this year - at a better price, too.
pjeffreysr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:19 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjeffreysr1 View Post
We started to reserve a site this year at Lakewood (Myrtle Beach) after they sent us a flyer reminding us that the season was starting. We have camped there for five years-mainly because they are supposed to be a "Christain" campground. However, after being on the phone with them for 15 minutes (and having given personal and credit card info) I was advised that we had been declared as "undesirable" by the management due to an incident at the camp store last year. Let me explain: my wife (who is the Sunday school Secretary at the church we attend, and where I am a Deacon) found a wallet which had been left on a table. She is not a person who trusts those she does not know - not even "security officers". She removed the contents and turned the wallet over to a "rent a cop" - telling him at the time to please have the owner come see her in the camp store parking lot for the contents. Next thing she knows, another one (an EX COP) has her by the arm taking her into a back room of the store. He then starts to question her by saying: "Just agree with me and you will be out of here in a few minutes." Then "Marshall Dillon" really stuck his foot in it by saying: "I know you stole that wallet, because I SAW you spend money directly from it." (She was so nervous, that when she took the money out to hand to "Marshall Dillon", she actually gave him $10.00 more than was originally in it.) She was able to call me to come to the store, where I heard this 'goon' badgering her and forbidding me to be with her. After which her cell phone was taken from her and not returned until we left the store to pack up camp. Se was so terrified I was afraid she might have a heart attack (she does have heart problems). Finally they called the owner of the wallet (an employee) who said everything was there and refused to press charges. In fact the wallet owner apologized for my wife being detained by security. Then another female employee (who was trying to get on the MB police force) tried to pressure the wallet owner into pressing charges. When that did not work, the wanna be cop started saying the wallet was HERS. We were finally ORDERED off the premises with only 2 hours to break camp - and NO REFUNDS. We lost over $700.00 (camp site and golf cart rent). MORAL - If you go there - touch nothing you can not PROVE is yours. I was advised by an attorney, that we definitely have grounds for a suit, but the time lost from work, travel, etc, was not worth it to us. We were able to book at another resort for this year - at a better price, too.
Why in the world would you ever think about going back there? The only thing I question is if you went there because it's a Christian Campground why didn't your wife ask for the owners or go to the rental office and turn the wallet in with all of it's belongings to one of them. There's summer help at camp stores and I understand she may have not trusted kids and as for Barney Fife she should have told him if I was stealing the money why would I be here in the first place. I came in here and told all of you about the wallet!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
Site Team

While your wife's motives may have been crystal squeaky clean,
there is something "unethical sounding" about finding a wallet,
removing the money and then turning in the wallet.
It just "sounds" fishy.....

And I agree with the other poster, why in the world would you
even consider going there again after that?!?!
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:41 PM   #4

As stated above, don't think it was the smartest thing to remove the contents of anyone's wallet. Security didn't seem to handle the situation well either, but I think at that point I would have demanded to see a manager in the main office. I've been to Lakewood many times, and never heard of any one having such trouble. The front office staff has always been helpful anytime I went in there. Seems like all of the actions just snowballed and you never resolved the issue. You at least could have stopped at the main office at your exit and left a better explanation.
MightyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:02 PM   #5

I have stayed at the big 3 in MB, but have found them to be to busy for my taste. If you don't mind being a few miles from the beach, may I suggest Willow Tree RV Resort. A nice clean campground with a great work staff. We decided to take in a few shows last Fall and didn't need to be right on the beach. We decided to give Willow Tree a try and now we have found a new home away from home.

2008 Forest River Berkshire 390QS
2006 Ford Focus Toad
Sometimes 6X12 enclosed trailer with a
2007 1200c HD Sportster & a 2006
HD Night Train
06nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:38 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to pjeffreysr1
The manger was the one who ordered us off the CG, even though the wallet owner steadfastly REFUSED o press the issue.
pjeffreysr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #7

If it were my DH there would have been a new doorway to the back of the store so he could get to me. Sorry about what happened. We stayed at Myrtle Beach State Park and loved it.
2011 Shamrock 23ss
2010 Ford F150 super cab 4 X 4
ilovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:36 AM   #8

Lake wood is too busy and too large to suite us. We go to Myrtle Beach Travel park in North Myrtle Beach. It has all of the ammenities that lakewook has and its right on the beach.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:38 PM   #9
A HAPPY CAMPER

Wow oh my god..You are good people but when you find something turn it in.After that you are not responsible, when you remove contents then turn it in ..Well you just gave your self a big red flag for them to figure out why you took the contents out..To many nice people out there..
chico is offline   Reply With Quote