Old 09-28-2012, 11:59 PM   #1
TeresaInCAL

Angry Tire recycling

So I got new tires on mt truck today. I had planned on keeping my old tires, because I'm making a retaining wall for my landscape. Anyway, as the guy was quoting what my total would be, I made sure to tell him, "make sure you don't charge me the recycle fee, I'm keeping the old tires for a landscape project." "Oh no, we still have to charge you the fee." He says. "But you're not recycling them." I say. "Oh well, let me ask the manager." He says
Manager starts talking real fast about people reusing the old tire on their trailers, causing accidents, and they are liable. And they CANT give me the tire. "But they're MY tires.". I say. Then someone said, you could punch a hole in them, so they're not useable. I said that was fine with me, I plan on filling them with dirt.

Anyway, they ended up giving them to me, but told me, don't tell anyone they gave them to me.

Well, I didn't tell anyone. ;0)

What is your take on this?

TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:27 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaInCAL
So I got new tires on mt truck today. I had planned on keeping my old tires, because I'm making a retaining wall for my landscape. Anyway, as the guy was quoting what my total would be, I made sure to tell him, "make sure you don't charge me the recycle fee, I'm keeping the old tires for a landscape project." "Oh no, we still have to charge you the fee." He says. "But you're not recycling them." I say. "Oh well, let me ask the manager." He says
Manager starts talking real fast about people reusing the old tire on their trailers, causing accidents, and they are liable. And they CANT give me the tire. "But they're MY tires.". I say. Then someone said, you could punch a hole in them, so they're not useable. I said that was fine with me, I plan on filling them with dirt.

Anyway, they ended up giving them to me, but told me, don't tell anyone they gave them to me.

Well, I didn't tell anyone. ;0)

What is your take on this?
I say b.s. but in California who knows ? Call another tire shop and ask them !
Btw I assume you live in cali via your user name ?

Turbs

Old 09-29-2012, 01:01 AM   #3
TeresaInCAL

Yes, I'm in CA. I think it's a lot of BS, but he has me wondering. There's also a law about them giving you replaced parts, if you ask for them in advance. I don't see how tires would be any different.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:03 AM   #4
TeresaInCAL

When I had the tires replaced on the TT, @ America's tire, they had no problem giving them to me.
This was the Ford dealership.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:13 AM   #5
Southwestern Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaInCAL
When I had the tires replaced on the TT, @ America's tire, they had no problem giving them to me.
This was the Ford dealership.
Our policy at Discount/America's tire was to gladly avoid keeping them because we had to pay someone to take them away. However, make sure you have the right fee. In AZ there is a disposal fee AND an environmental fee. The disposal fee could be waived if you kept your own, we could never waive the enviro fee bc it was on the new tires. My guess, somebody there wanted your old tires.
Misterdanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:25 AM   #6
TeresaInCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterdanderson View Post
My guess, somebody there wanted your old tires.
I wondered about that too. The back 2 tires still had a bit of tread on them. It was the front 2 that were worn.

I have nothing but good things to say about America's tire. They're always very helpful, fair, and courteous. It took less than 1 hour for them to replace 3 tires on the TT, plus rotate the other tires, plus balance them.

I waited at the dealership today for over 2 hours. :0/
Old 09-29-2012, 03:13 AM   #7
Southwestern Newbie

Cheaper doesn't always mean low cost...
Misterdanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
TeresaInCAL

Cheaper?
Old 09-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #9
Site Team

I don't know exactly how CA waste tire laws are setup. They are most likely posted online thru your state environmental agency..

Here in Louisiana, we are required to have signs posted in the lobby area, that state the following (I would think other states would require similar). I am trying to get out of town for the weekend, but I will come back and state the reasoning for each section later. Although I didn't renew my waste tire processing permit last year, our company was one of only seven permitted waste tire processors in the state of LA.....so I am extremely familiar with all of our tire regs.

In accordance with LAC 33:VII.10519.E, “Standard and Responsibilities of Generators of Waste Tire” tire dealers must provide notification to the public sector via signs, made available by the department, indicating that:

1. “It is unlawful for any person to dispose, discard, burn, or otherwise release waste tires to the environment in a manner in contravention to the Louisiana Solid Waste Regulations. A fine of up to $32,500 per day, per violation may be imposed on any company or individual who violates these rules and regulations.”

2. “All Louisiana tire dealers are required to collect a waste tire cleanup and recycling fee from the consumer of $2 for each passenger/light truck tire, $5 for each medium truck tire, and $10 for each offroad tire, upon sale of each tire. These fees shall be collected upon replacement of all recall and adjustment tires. For recapped or retreaded, a waste tire fee of $1.25 shall be collected upon the sale of each recapped or retreaded tire. These fees must be collected whether or not the purchaser retains the waste tires. No fee shall be collected on tires weighing more than 500 pounds or solid tires. Tire dealers must accept from the purchaser, at the time of sale, one waste tire for every tire sold, unless the purchaser
elects to retain the waste tire.”

In accordance with LAC 33:VII.10521.D, “Standards and Responsibilities of Motor Vehicle Dealers” motor vehicle dealers must provide notification to the public via a sign, made available by the department, indicating
that:

“All Louisiana Motor Vehicle Dealers selling new vehicles are required to collect a waste tire cleanup and recycling fee from the consumer of $2 for passenger/light truck tire, $5 for each medium truck tire, and $10 for each off-road tire, upon sale of each new motor vehicle. These fees shall also be collected upon replacement of all recall and adjustment tires. This fee must be collected whether or not the purchasers retain the waste tires. No fee shall be collected on tires weighing more than 500 pounds, solid
tires, or on the designated spare tire. Tire dealers must accept from the purchaser, at the time of sale, one waste tire for every tire sold, unless the purchaser elects to retain the waste tire.”

Note: “Tire Dealer” refers to those dealers who engage in the retail sale of new and used tires.

Note: “Motor Vehicle Dealer” refers to any person, business or firm registered with the state of Louisiana that engages in the commercial sale of new motor vehicles.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #10
Site Team

I did a quick search and here is CA's law on the matter:

Text of section operative January 1, 2005 to December 31, 2014

42885. Disposal fee; seller reimbursement retention; California Tire Recycling Management Fund; reimbursement of board. (a) For purposes of this section, "California tire fee" means the fee imposed pursuant to this section.

(b) (1) A person who purchases a new tire, as defined in subdivision (g), shall pay a California tire fee of one dollar and seventy-five cents ($1.75) per tire.

(2) The retail seller shall charge the retail purchaser the amount of the California tire fee as a charge that is separate from, and not included in, any other fee, charge, or other amount paid by the retail purchaser.

(3) The retail seller shall collect the California tire fee from the retail purchaser at the time of sale and may retain 1˝ percent of the fee as reimbursement for any costs associated with the collection of the fee. The retail seller shall remit the remainder to the state on a quarterly schedule for deposit in the California Tire Recycling Management Fund, which is hereby created in the State Treasury.

(c) The board, or its agent authorized pursuant to Section 42882, shall be reimbursed for its costs of collection, auditing, and making refunds associated with the California Tire Recycling Management Fund, but not to exceed 3 percent of the total annual revenue deposited in the fund.

(d) The California tire fee imposed pursuant to subdivision (b) shall be separately stated by the retail seller on the invoice given to the customer at the time of sale. Any other disposal or transaction fee charged by the retail seller related to the tire purchase shall be identified separately from the California tire fee.

(e) A person or business who knowingly, or with reckless disregard, makes a false statement or representation in a document used to comply with this section is liable for a civil penalty for each violation or, for continuing violations, for each day that the violation continues. Liability under this section may be imposed in a civil action and shall not exceed twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000) for each violation.

(f) In addition to the civil penalty that may be imposed pursuant to subdivision

(e), the board may impose an administrative penalty in an amount not to exceed five thousand dollars ($5,000) for each violation of a separate provision or, for continuing violations, for each day that the violation continues, on a person who intentionally or negligently violates a permit, rule, regulation, standard, or requirement issued or adopted pursuant to this chapter. The board shall adopt regulations that specify the amount of the administrative penalty and the procedure for imposing an administrative penalty pursuant to this subdivision.

(g) For purposes of this section, "new tire" means a pneumatic or solid tire intended for use with on-road or off-road motor vehicles, motorized equipment, construction equipment, or farm equipment that is sold separately from the motorized equipment, or a new tire sold with a new or used motor vehicle, as defined in Section 42803.5, including the spare tire, construction equipment, or farm equipment. "New tire" does not include retreaded, reused, or recycled tires.

(h) The California tire fee shall not be imposed on a tire sold with, or sold separately for use on, any of the following:

(1) A self-propelled wheelchair.

(2) A motorized tricycle or motorized quadricycle, as defined in Section 407 of the Vehicle Code.

(3) A vehicle that is similar to a motorized tricycle or motorized quadricycle and is designed to be operated by a person who, by reason of the person's physical disability, is otherwise unable to move about as a pedestrian.

(i) This section shall remain in effect only until January 1, 2015, and as of that date is repealed, unless a later enacted statute, that is enacted before January 1, 2015, deletes or extends that date.

History.—Stats. 2006, Ch. 77 (AB 1803), in effect July 18, 2006, renumbered former subdivision (b)(1)(A) as (b)(1), substituted "A" for "Every" in the former subdivision (b)(1)(A), and substituted "one dollar and seventy-five cents ($1.75)" for "one dollar ($1.00)" in the former subdivision (b)(1)(A); deleted subdivisions (b)(1)(B) and (b)(1)(C); substituted reference "subdivision (b)" for "subdivision (a)" in subdivision (d); substituted "A" for "Any" and "a" for "any" in subdivision (e); substituted "a" for "any" two times in subdivision (f); substituted "shall" for "may" "a" for "any" in, and substituted "A" for "Any" in paragraphs (1), (2), and (3) of subdivision (h).

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote