Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
Mod free 5er

Tire treatment

Does anyone put any kind of protectant on their tires? Don't mean covers, spray on or wipe on. If so, what did you use?
Old 07-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

I currently don't use anything other than the covers, but I would like to find a good UV protectant (don't give a hoot about shiny).
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I currently don't use anything other than the covers, but I would like to find a good UV protectant (don't give a hoot about shiny).
While it is a pain, probably the best thing to do would be to cover them with a light-coloured slip-on cover. I have never seen a tire manufacturer recommend any "protectant".
But I do have 303 Aerospace Protectant, and that is the only product I would even consider.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #4

For your reading pleasure;
--------------------
Tire Tech Facts

The sidewalls of tires which are parked for extended periods, dry check and eventually crack and split. Annually, tire "dry-rot" is a multimillion dollar problem for RVers, trailer boaters and owners of classic cars. This engineering memorandum is a scientific examination of the whys of this process and explains in detail how 303® Aerospace Protectant™ is an answer to the tire dry-rot problem.
Tire manufacturers blend into the tire polymer certain chemical ingredients which inhibit damage from ozone and ultraviolet light, the main environmental degradants of tires and all other types of synthetic and natural rubbers. Ozone is an odorless gas, but is commonly thought of as the "electric train smell". Though more severe in cities and manufacturing centers, ozone is part of the air we breathe everywhere on earth. Hastened by the hazardous effects of UV light, ozone eventually causes rubber to dry and become brittle no matter the locale.
Ultraviolet Light
The need to protect rubber against UV damage is why tires are black. For this purpose, a common type of UV stabilizer called a "competitive absorber" is used. Competitive absorbers work by capturing and absorbing harmful UV light wave energy (instead of the adjacent molecule of tire polymer..that's why it's called "competitive"). Competitive absorbers have the added ability to convert harmful UV light wave energy into heat so it can dissipate harmlessly. All tire manufacturers use the same competitive absorber, carbon black...an extremely inexpensive compound. All other UV stabilizers are prohibitvley expensive. This is why tires are black and why tires are not available in designer colors. All UV stabilizers are sacrificial, meaning they are gradually "used up" to where they can no longer protect against UV damage. As carbon black loses the ability to do its job, it turns gray. This is why rubber grays as it ages.
Ozone
Tire manufacturers use waxes to protect against ozone. When tires are in use (regularly running up and down the road for example) they flex. Flexing causes the protective waxes to migrate to the surface where they form a physical barrier between the air (ozone and oxygen) and the tire polymer. This process...the waxes migrating to the surface of the tire during flexing..is called "blooming". When tires are not regularly used ( a parked RV, boat trailer, or classic car, etc), blooming does not occur. Ozone begins eating away the protective wax and before long reaches the tire polymer. Often by this time, the surface carbon black has lost its ability to protect against UV. With UV light and ozone working in concert, degradation starts. The tire dries, checks, and will eventually crack.
Other Degradants
Petrochemicals and silicone oils can remove the protective waxes and increase the rate of degradation. Common automotive "protectants" and "tire dressings" are typically devoid of UV stabilizers of any type and contain petrochemicals and/or silicone oils which dissolve away the protective waxes and can actually aggress the sidewall. In the event of warranty sidewall failure, one of the first things tire manufacturers look for is evidence of the use of these types of products. When found, this is often cause for not warranting the sidewall failure.

303® Aerospace Protectant™ For Tires
303® Aerospace Protectant™ contains no petrochemicals or silicone oils and does not remove the protective waxes. 303® is actually absorbed into tires, delivering its unique set of powerful UV stabilizers into the tire polymer, supplementing and surpassing the UV protective action of the carbon black, and leaving a long-lasting flexible protective finish that is water repellent, detergent resistant, and will not attract dust. Ozone must eat through the 303® before it can get to the wax. 303® is an extremely effective anti-oxidant and anti-ozonant. 303® is the longest lasting, most powerful protective and beautifying treatment for tires and all other synthetic and natural rubber.
Tips For Tires
303® treated tires have the rich, waxy, almost vinyl-like, dark black look of new rubber. 303® tires look and feel like brand new, not greasy new. For Maximum Tire Beauty: Spray 303® Aerospace Protectant™ directly on a clean and dry tire until the sidewall is thoroughly wet with 303®. Without touching the rubber, easily wipe any 303® overspray from the rim. Do each tire the same way. After 10-20 minutes, wipe around each tire once or twice with a dry rag to pick up unabsorbed 303®. Your tires will have the look and feel of fresh new rubber.
First Time Use:
On sidewalls that are excessively dried out, two treatments may be necessary the first time. To note: A) The regular use of 303® can entirely prevent the UV and ozone damage associated with parked tires. Reapply 303® every 20-30 days. B) 303 is 100% safe for all types of wheels, all alloys. Wheels regularly treated with 303® repel water, road grime and brake dust and clean up far easier than untreated wheels.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Interesting stuff. Going shopping again
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Interesting stuff. Going shopping again
They're proud of it, pretty pricey, but it works on vinyl too.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:29 AM   #7

303 on the tires and covers. Works for me.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #8

While out in the shop yesterday I decided to use up the rest of my 303 on the tires, did both the camper and my truck. Easy to use, just spray on, let it soak in, and wipe off the excess. Dried to a nice semi-gloss black.
Even my old truck tires, which I have never treated before, came out a lot blacker. Another treatment and I'd bet they would look like new.

So I need to go shopping as well, but will get the GIANT economy size this time. Looks like this will be another job to do on an annual basis from now on. And every time I have to take the camper tires off for any reason, the inside sidewalls will get treated as well.

303 isn't cheap, but neither are tires or blowout damage!
Old 07-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Ordered a gallon 21Jul and it was delivered UPS today. $41.99/gal. Have a 32 oz container of it I gave $18.95 for and an empty 16oz container that I paid $13.99 for when new. Can't beat the price of a gal and the shipping from:
303 Products 030370 Aerospace Protectant Gallon*-*303 Products*030370 - 303 Cleaners - Cleaners and Wax - Maintenance - Boatersland Marine
Old 07-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #10
Camper Less Camping

Thanks guys...on my to do list!

Old 07-26-2013, 10:48 PM   #11

I used it on aircraft de-icing boots all the time.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:34 PM   #12

Works great on the dash and plastics (bumpers) and rubber all around your vehicle.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #13

I just did my Marathons, front and back, and they look great! That was so easy. It says this should be done every 3 to 5 weeks. Here's hoping it works well for protection. (I didn't do the tread, mostly because I didn't have a way to wash it first. Does anyone think that would be beneficial?)
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #14

Thanks for the info, I often wondered about tire care on my 5thwheeler, the last thing I need is a flat on the highway.
hcondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #15
phat phrog stunt crew

do not apply to tread. all tire treatments tell you that somewhere in the directions. my future son in law didnt read the directions and applied to all surfaces of his motorcycle tires. you can guess the outcome. he is fine, and a bit wiser too ( i hope).
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #16

I use 303 all the time. We use it on our zodiac small boats to protect the tubes in the south Florida sun. Works great.
cstover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:58 AM   #17

Thanks dwaynerz,

That I will not do, glad your future son in law is ok.
hcondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #18
phat phrog stunt crew

glad your future son in law is ok

darwin awards arent foolproof, but i was wondering if he wasnt testing the boundries. i advised against it when he was doing so. maybe someday i may eventually become as smart as he is.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote