Old 12-02-2012, 03:13 AM   #11
Tire speed/damage

Like in all posts, there is never full amount of data....but would think a transporter would be at empty weight, so the damage to the sidewall may have been at a minimum since not fully loaded or overloaded like most ...
Is hard to make decisions since most data here is about negative conditions and the data is never I keep driving at 56-58 mph....and try and keep tires near 80 % of posted weight at posted tire pressure....use tpms so can keep up with temps....since my tires are 2012s, I will have more data in 3-5 which time will replace.....
right now tires move 4-6 times a month at a rate of 500 miles a month

Good luck to slow, keep weight down and pressure correct....
what is the big hurry since your house is with you.....oh yes lugs correct torque.....and tires protected from uv....

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:12 AM   #12
Wanna Be Camper
3 rd year done here on our V-Lite and have abt 12,000 miles on them. They still look new. We drive 60 -65 and I have a TPMS system as well as an IR temp gun I check the tread and axle/hub temps every stop. Our tires are always covered with tire covers when the trailer is not in use so that may be helping with cracking etc.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2013: 16 2014: 5 2015: 3
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:48 AM   #13
Driving 75-80 mph on ST tires which are speed rated for 65 max might not cause in immediate tire failure, but with all the ST tire failures that I've not only read about on 3 RV forums, but also personally experienced, why would you want to drive that fast? Having a tire failure can be catastrophic at 65, how bad do you think one is at 80?
It's not will an ST tire failure occur when driving 80? It's when will it occur?
2013 Palomino Columbus 320RS
2007 Dodge RAM 2500 6.7 Cummins
Reese 15K manual slider
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #14
Oklahoma Proud
I usually tow my boat & 5er around 70-75 mph on interstate. On my tri axle gooseneck w/14ply tires, I tow between 70-80 loaded. Semi I would tow up to 72mph(that where the govnr. Was)
I usually only run truck and trailer tires about 3 years, on higher risk trailers (rv and boat) about 2 years(no failures from doing this). I check pressures, thump tires and feel hubs.
Yes I've had tire failures, but when its 110 out side everybody does, and if you pay attention you can feel the vibration before the tread flys off.
MillerTime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #15
What is it about the 65 mph top limit nobody seems to get? The manufaturer, DOT, Trailer manufacturer all state for ST tires - No Faster Than 65 _ Should be enough said. Not, "I tow at xx mph never had a problem" - does not make it right, just makes you lucky. Hopefully you will stay lucky, and so will the family driving next to you or behind you.
Brenda and John
'14 Ram 3500 MCSB 6.7L HO PullRite 16K S/G, Grey Columbus 320RS Camped '14 - 146 days/'15 - 196 days
USN-EOD(Ret), Master Chief, 30 yrs,
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:25 PM   #16
Low end Chinese RV Tires

Most manufacturers use these low end ST tires. We do not tow 200 miles to a weekend campground, when we leave home we are usually travelling 400 miles per day for several days. Therefore, we did not leave these low end Chinese ST tires on for any more than 10,000 miles. A dealership service manager says that he upgrades his tires on day one after the purchase.

We have installed 4 Maxxis ST tires, if you do the search online it will be very difficult to find a customer giving a negative review on MAXXIS tires. They have produced very high level tires for off road vehicles and bikes. They have slowly moved up the international tire manufacturers sales list and are now ranked ninth, they have very high quality standards.

I agree with the post, 65 mph is the manufacturers rating, after that you are putting everyone at risk. Of course they will tow, "with no problem" at 70-75 mph, just because the safety is not on the gun doesn't mean that the gun will discharge, same result, maybe!
Ken & Judy
2012 Prime Time Lacrosse 301RLS
2014 Ford F-150 Lariat - Max. Tow - Ecoboost
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Average 50-60 nights/yr
Walke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #17
Oklahoma Proud
All my reserch of st tires is that some are marked for 65mph, but if traveling between 66 &75mph you are to increase your cold psi by 10psi if your wheel is rated for the psi also. Also you should not increase the load past spec if doing so and no more than 10psi increase.
- I heard that goodyear says this and other.
Do some research other that on forums and see what you come up with.

Ps. Most transporters and myself from time to time carry $1million or more in liability ins. incase a tire failure or something else damages you or someone else property

MillerTime is online now   Reply With Quote