Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
camping

tires/ RV transporters

so I left work a little early today and was headed home when an RV transporter pulling a nice Wildcat 5th wheel passed me by doing about 70 + (i was doing 65 mph) swerving in and out of the few cars that were on the road and it got me thinking could this have any effect on the tires and why so many seem to fail? does that hold any water with any of you?
its not the first transporter I have seen that has driven faster than the tires should go - which I believe is 65mph-

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentcamper1 View Post
so I left work a little early today and was headed home when an RV transporter pulling a nice Wildcat 5th wheel passed me by doing about 70 + (i was doing 65 mph) swerving in and out of the few cars that were on the road and it got me thinking could this have any effect on the tires and why so many seem to fail? does that hold any water with any of you?
its not the first transporter I have seen that has driven faster than the tires should go - which I believe is 65mph-
Probably many factors involved here - but IMO I guess that some factors would be how long any RV is pulled or driven at a speed higher than recommended by the manufacturer, if the tires are properly inflated, the temperature, etc.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #3

This is a Pic.of a wheel on (Backwards) at the Factory,already hooked up and ready to go by a (Professional Hauler)! The Amish lot boy stopped him and said it did not look right. Do you think he checked the tire pressure when the valve stem was on the inside ? Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	084.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	21884  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
This is a Pic.of a wheel on (Backwards) at the Factory,already hooked up and ready to go by a (Professional Hauler)! The Amish lot boy stopped him and said it did not look right. Do you think he checked the tire pressure when the valve stem was on the inside ? Youroo!!
Very good eye to catch that.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #5

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentcamper1 View Post
I'd like to hear some answers on this one. I went to Black Hills this last Sept and was doing 70-75 a lot of the time on I-90 (speed limit 75) and was just down to Branson and did 70 most of the way there and back and have had no tire problems and the truck pulls the 320RS better at 70 than at 60-65.
2012 Columbus 320RS
K-9's Lucy & Lizzie
Enjoying Life 1 Campground at a time
hotrodj125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodj125 View Post
I'd like to hear some answers on this one. I went to Black Hills this last Sept and was doing 70-75 a lot of the time on I-90 (speed limit 75) and was just down to Branson and did 70 most of the way there and back and have had no tire problems and the truck pulls the 320RS better at 70 than at 60-65.
You will likely get many opinions (but not answers) regarding this topic. Do a search here about RV tires.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #7

Two things I can guarantee is that the transporters never check tire press, or retorque lug nuts. They're paid by the run and the quicker they make the run the better for them.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #8
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
Two things I can guarantee is that the transporters never check tire press, or retorque lug nuts. They're paid by the run and the quicker they make the run the better for them.

Right on - it's the same thing to them as driving a rental car.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
camping

saw another good one today - was coming home from breakfast in Shipshewana heading west on 20 and there was a Brookstone 5th wheel ahead going slow-about 20 mph- and in the "Amish" lane (shoulder) - both wheels on the passenger side of the 5th wheel were gone and he was riding the rims.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #10
Trailer Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodj125 View Post
Same drill here - towing in Iowa during end of June and it's 90-105 degrees during day. Stopped a few times to hand check hubs and tires. Hubs cool to touch. Tires warm but not hot at all. 65psi nitrogen filled. Tow speed 65-70 most of the time. 320RS tows very smooth!
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:13 AM   #11

Tire speed/damage

Like in all posts, there is never full amount of data....but would think a transporter would be at empty weight, so the damage to the sidewall may have been at a minimum since not fully loaded or overloaded like most ...
Is hard to make decisions since most data here is about negative conditions and the data is never complete.....so I keep driving at 56-58 mph....and try and keep tires near 80 % of posted weight at posted tire pressure....use tpms so can keep up with temps....since my tires are 2012s, I will have more data in 3-5 yrs......at which time will replace.....
right now tires move 4-6 times a month at a rate of 500 miles a month

Good luck to all....drive slow, keep weight down and pressure correct....
what is the big hurry since your house is with you.....oh yes lugs correct torque.....and tires protected from uv....

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #12
Wanna Be Camper

3 rd year done here on our V-Lite and have abt 12,000 miles on them. They still look new. We drive 60 -65 and I have a TPMS system as well as an IR temp gun I check the tread and axle/hub temps every stop. Our tires are always covered with tire covers when the trailer is not in use so that may be helping with cracking etc.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #13

Driving 75-80 mph on ST tires which are speed rated for 65 max might not cause in immediate tire failure, but with all the ST tire failures that I've not only read about on 3 RV forums, but also personally experienced, why would you want to drive that fast? Having a tire failure can be catastrophic at 65, how bad do you think one is at 80?
It's not will an ST tire failure occur when driving 80? It's when will it occur?
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #14
Oklahoma Proud

I usually tow my boat & 5er around 70-75 mph on interstate. On my tri axle gooseneck w/14ply tires, I tow between 70-80 loaded. Semi I would tow up to 72mph(that where the govnr. Was)
I usually only run truck and trailer tires about 3 years, on higher risk trailers (rv and boat) about 2 years(no failures from doing this). I check pressures, thump tires and feel hubs.
Yes I've had tire failures, but when its 110° out side everybody does, and if you pay attention you can feel the vibration before the tread flys off.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #15

What is it about the 65 mph top limit nobody seems to get? The manufaturer, DOT, Trailer manufacturer all state for ST tires - No Faster Than 65 _ Should be enough said. Not, "I tow at xx mph never had a problem" - does not make it right, just makes you lucky. Hopefully you will stay lucky, and so will the family driving next to you or behind you.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:25 PM   #16

Low end Chinese RV Tires

Most manufacturers use these low end ST tires. We do not tow 200 miles to a weekend campground, when we leave home we are usually travelling 400 miles per day for several days. Therefore, we did not leave these low end Chinese ST tires on for any more than 10,000 miles. A dealership service manager says that he upgrades his tires on day one after the purchase.

We have installed 4 Maxxis ST tires, if you do the search online it will be very difficult to find a customer giving a negative review on MAXXIS tires. They have produced very high level tires for off road vehicles and bikes. They have slowly moved up the international tire manufacturers sales list and are now ranked ninth, they have very high quality standards.

I agree with the post, 65 mph is the manufacturers rating, after that you are putting everyone at risk. Of course they will tow, "with no problem" at 70-75 mph, just because the safety is not on the gun doesn't mean that the gun will discharge, same result, maybe!
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Average 50-60 nights/yr
Walke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:45 PM   #17
Oklahoma Proud

All my reserch of st tires is that some are marked for 65mph, but if traveling between 66 &75mph you are to increase your cold psi by 10psi if your wheel is rated for the psi also. Also you should not increase the load past spec if doing so and no more than 10psi increase.
- I heard that goodyear says this and other.
Do some research other that on forums and see what you come up with.

Ps. Most transporters and myself from time to time carry $1million or more in liability ins. incase a tire failure or something else damages you or someone else property
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote