Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2013, 10:39 PM   #41

And if you get a chance check Earndit. I mentioned it above but it's a reward site that you link your fitness apps to.
simplyrwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #42

While you are looking for an inexpensive pedometer, I'd recommend looking into wearable technology like the FitBit or Jawbone. More than just a pedometer!

Btw, why a cell phone mount for the bike?
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:58 PM   #43
Minnesotan

Phone mount for bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
My wife and I have yet to find an affordable pedometer that is worth it. Everything we've bought at or under $40 has been junk.

Yes to apps - right now I have MyFitnessPal and MapMyRun. For Christmas, Santa is supposed to be bringing me a phone mount for my bicycle.

And, it's cold for running!
I have the Topeak SmartPhone DryBag 5" which fits my 5s. It was $34.99 at my local bike shop. I also have the 4" which fit my 4s. I'm guessing your gonna use MapMyRide. I also have a kinetic power computer T-725 for spin class. I find for me if it's scheduled and I paid for it I'm gonna do it and get my monies worth. So I have spin class 2 hrs a week at the local bike shop with a great group of people and a coach. I leave my bike there. Having a puppy that just turned a yr encourages me to get out and run even if it's cold. Otherwise she is bursting with energy. The sweet tooth in me is satisfied with Dove dark chocolate. Two small pieces a day does the trick. Keep in mind that with each step towards reaching your goal, you will feel even more energized.
kaschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:46 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaschultz View Post
The sweet tooth in me is satisfied with Dove dark chocolate. Two small pieces a day does the trick. Keep in mind that with each step towards reaching your goal, you will feel even more energized.
As for my sweet tooth I use a hard candy like a jolly rancher. You just need to find something that will kill the trigger for you.

If your looking for cheap...I used to use my $4.99 arm band phone holder from amazon I just strapped it on the handle bars real good. A little rigged but it worked for me.
simplyrwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:26 AM   #45
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCCowboy View Post
While you are looking for an inexpensive pedometer, I'd recommend looking into wearable technology like the FitBit or Jawbone. More than just a pedometer!

Btw, why a cell phone mount for the bike?

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!

The cellphone mount is for having a map up or checking distance as we ride. Right now, I keep the phone in my backpack and feel like I get it out like 10 times as daughter and I ride. I was just thinking it'd be more convenient.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:08 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!

The cellphone mount is for having a map up or checking distance as we ride. Right now, I keep the phone in my backpack and feel like I get it out like 10 times as daughter and I ride. I was just thinking it'd be more convenient.
Understandable. I only ask because mine never comes out during a ride (I have a small under seat pack that holds it, tools, tube, and co2 cartridge). For distance and speed I have a bike computer (also tracks cadence, heart rate, and other items as well). I use my phone for music and phone calls, if necessary, and use a set of blue tooth headphones.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #47
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCCowboy View Post
Understandable. I only ask because mine never comes out during a ride (I have a small under seat pack that holds it, tools, tube, and co2 cartridge). For distance and speed I have a bike computer (also tracks cadence, heart rate, and other items as well). I use my phone for music and phone calls, if necessary, and use a set of blue tooth headphones.
Sadly, in a classic bit for me - I misplaced my bike computer. The mount is happily staring me in the face each time I ride and, for the life of me, I cannot find it. Thought it was in the camper, but I didn't find it when we emptied everything out. Worse yet, the first time I went to use it- I couldn't figure out how to get it started! It's been a comedy of errors.

I haven't had headphones while riding (fear of not hearing something and moreso- my daughter is my riding partner) and I'd have to stop for a phone call (no one wants to hear a grown man pant!).

My underseat pack is pretty small. With a little multi-tool and tube, it's pretty well filled up. I keep a bike pump strapped to the bike itself.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Doug,
I don't think you need a bike computer anyway and you might be better off without one. I know they're fun and all but (really), a plain old stop watch is fine.

Although I'm a big supporter of tracking running miles (Garmin GPS watch), I think its best to track the bike by time instead of distance. I do this with my own race training and find that time is a better measurement for the bulk of my training on the bike. The reason is that a bike, opposed to running, is much more impacted by the environment such as wind. So, one hour on a windy day is the same as one hour on a windless day at the same perceived exertion. The windy day might only yield you 13 miles vs 15 miles, for example, but your output is the same and you won't feel bad about not hitting your ave mph.

Also, I really have to second your thoughts on the use of no headphones ever while on the bike. Even on trails; but especially on public roads. Besides the phone, you must be able to hear cars and other cyclists coming up behind you.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote