Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2016, 09:08 PM   #1

Travel Safety

I have traveled to several campgrounds in Texas and Oklahoma without any weapons or other type of self-protection other than common sense. Fortunately, I have never been attacked or harmed. I am planning a long distance solo trip next spring. I am interested in camper's thoughts on traveling and camping safety. Thanks!
Hector517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:36 PM   #2

Watch where your going, plan to stay in estsblished camp grounds. 99.5% of the people out there are just fine using this stradigy.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:25 AM   #3

Unfortunately, when you travel, there are too many places where you get into serious legal trouble with a weapon to be able to carry one everywhere. You could carry pepper spray, a baseball bat and/or wasp and hornet spray.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
Unfortunately, when you travel, there are too many places where you get into serious legal trouble with a weapon to be able to carry one everywhere. You could carry pepper spray, a baseball bat and/or wasp and hornet spray.
X2

Probably 99% of camper do not carry any weapons.............. Many campgrounds do not allow it. Been camping 30 plus years have never felt threatened. But use common sense.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
X2

Probably 99% of camper do not carry any weapons.............. Many campgrounds do not allow it. Been camping 30 plus years have never felt threatened. But use common sense.
Seems as if the World has changed somewhat in the last 30 years! Youroo! !
Old 12-07-2016, 05:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post

Yes and no ................ we just hear about it quicker and more than we did 30 years ago......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:09 AM   #7
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
According to statistics it is actually safer...

Quote:
Yes and no ................ we just hear about it quicker and more than we did 30 years ago......
And the 'news' is quick to sensationalize everything.

I do agree that using some common sense and paying attention to your surroundings will go a long ways towards keeping you safe.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:19 AM   #8
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
According to statistics it is actually safer...

And the 'news' is quick to sensationalize everything.

I do agree that using some common sense and paying attention to your surroundings will go a long ways towards keeping you safe.

Aaron
Agree with all of this and being aware is key!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:31 AM   #9
Citrus County, Fl.

Quote:
X2

I am going to go out on a limb here and say probably 99% will not admit to carrying any weapons. I do agree though that after camping (tent, TT, motorhome) for 60+ years I have never seen an incident where a weapon was needed. Although, I did have a close encounter with a copperhead once and probably would have used it since we had dogs with us
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:28 AM   #10

There is much information about CCL and just possession out there. I had a CCL and let it expire??? I don't know why. There are aps for the legal stuff as needed.
There is/was a law about traveling out of town and being in possession of a firearm. They used to require the weapon be unloaded and stored separately from the ammo/clip w/o a CCL of course. Do your own research and be smart. If you have no warrants, no felony convictions and tell the police officer up front then I cannot see a problem.
I am sure someone smarter than me can help.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:45 AM   #11

If you have a CHL, many states have reciprocity agreements with Texas and Oklahoma. Those that do not almost always have laws regarding how to legally have a firearm in your vehicle. Very few states don't allow any way for you to legally enter the state with a firearm. Most of the time this involves you locking the unloaded firearm in some type of case and storing the ammunition separately. This book is a very valuable resource if you're wanting to travel with a firearm:

https://www.gunlawguide.com/

I will agree that it is very unlikely that you'd ever need a firearm for protection. But there are many that have. And, man, would it ever suck to be facing down a couple bad guys thinking about the weapon I have at home locked in the safe. Just sayin'. And after watching Drugs, Inc. for the past couple of months, you come to realize just how prevalent the criminals around us are.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:54 AM   #12

I carry 24/7, basically cause I am so used to carrying a gun I feel more naked without it than I do if I leave my cell phone home. However, it is NOT for everyone.
As for campgrounds, I only camp in Forest Service/BLM campgrounds therefore there is no legal problem with carrying a weapon, and in most states that is either carrying concealed or open. (So far I only camped in ID, MT, WY, CO, UT, NM, AZ, NV and WA (next year headed to OR) so no problems. And last Sept in a FS campground east of Yellowstone, I saw more guns on hips than when I worked for the Feds.)
Also, you have to know what to carry for. If worried about people, that is one thing, but a normal concealed weapon carried by most will do nothing to stop a bear so if in bear country, I recommend bear spray and for a last effort a short barreled .44 mag or larger.
But have never needed it in years, only used bear spray.

I'll also note if doing a lot of hiking in the forests, there are a lot of illegal growers in the national forests out west and probably in the east. So be careful.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:12 AM   #13
Handyman

I carry a weapon with a CCL not because I expect to need it, but because if I do need it, I don't want to regret I didn't have it. Many states recognize other state's CCL. However, when in another state, you are bound to that state's laws. Plan your trip and research each state. As far as private restrictions, I don't advertise.
tfmdgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post

I'll also note if doing a lot of hiking in the forests, there are a lot of illegal growers in the national forests out west and probably in the east. So be careful.

Yep. On Drugs, Inc. last night I learned that Tennessee produces the most marijuana of any state. Who'd've thunk it?
Old 12-07-2016, 10:11 AM   #15
Always Learning

We overnight at Walmarts and truck stops occasionally and have been to campgrounds across the country. I've never felt threatened.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
We overnight at Walmarts and truck stops occasionally and have been to campgrounds across the country. I've never felt threatened.
That's funny, cause I feel threatened every time I go to my local WalMart!!
Old 12-07-2016, 10:20 AM   #17
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
That's funny, cause I feel threatened every time I go to my local WalMart!!

As much as my kid claims it is, stupidity isn't contagious!
Old 12-07-2016, 01:22 PM   #18

For the most part I think campgrounds are pretty safe. It's on the road that can be pretty sketchy. Two years ago we stopped at a gas station and there were people near the door with backpacks and signs and not many vehicles around. I was filling the tank as my wife went inside for a beverage. I finished the tank and was getting in the truck when some kid showed up at the door. At first I didn't hear what he said then he repeated his plea for gas money. I told him to leave and now I was not going to leave my vehicle unattended. My wife finished up and after several minutes came outside. She said she was waiting for me to come inside for a snack or such but I was taking so long. She asked why I looked so worried. I told her about the events and we both realized we had let ourselves become complacent. I wish that day I could have carried a concealed weapon. We decided from that point on we would not separate like that again. Funny thing is we had my sons truck which has a siren in it that I could have touched off and probably scattered all the people in the place.
tdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:14 PM   #19

In Texas it is now a license to carry and not a CCL. We are permitted to carry in plane site now. I always carry but not in plane site. As I got older it seemed that I would be more vulnerable to crime because one or more young men could nock me down and take what they wanted.
whj469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj469 View Post
In Texas it is now a license to carry and not a CCL. We are permitted to carry in plane site now. I always carry but not in plane site. As I got older it seemed that I would be more vulnerable to crime because one or more young men could nock me down and take what they wanted.
I have heard both sides of the concealed versus open carry argument, and they make valid points. On one hand, criminals tend to avoid conflict and go for the easiest target. This would indicate that open carry would be preferred since you would clearly NOT be an easy target. An openly carried firearm also offers a much more rapid response if drawing it is necessary. However, the main argument for concealing is that the criminal doesn't know you are carrying and you would therefore have a tactical advantage.

Tags
safety, travel