Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #1

Traveling with Fireams

OK, I need to ask another question that may raise some eyebrows. Most of the campgrounds we visit typically are full of very nice people and we have seldom if ever had any problems. However, we have visited some campgrounds that are a bit wild in terms of behavior of some of the campers. One of these is at a lake that we like very much but it is a party place for the younger crowd and this inevitably attracts the drinkers and party folk. We have no problem with this as long as people stay to themselves and leave us alone. On a few trips we have made this has not been the case. We have been approached by unsavory types who were intoxicated beyond reason and I didn't feel comfortable at all. If we have not been set up for the night I would have left but we made the decision to stay the night and leave at first light. It was a bad choice. The wild antics continued on through the night and there were fights, property damage and police. Ever since this experience, I carry a pistol with me when we travel. I am licensed to carry it and it is completely legal for me to do so. Trust me, the LAST thing I would ever want to do is to hurt anyone and I would go out of my way to avoid such a confrontation. We do however live in a world of folks that can and often do make bad decisions. I feel safer knowing that if I was FORCED into protecting myself or my family I could do so. I wonder if any of you have had experiences like this and how you feel about legally carrying a firearm when you go camping. I apologize in advance if this subject matter offends anyone.

Kix
Old 05-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #2

I don,t bring a gun camping.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #3

As for safety, that's why we have the 2nd Amendment. However, I've never stayed anywhere (yet) where I felt unsafe but we've not boondocked. At state parks, etc, if there was an issue I would call a ranger or host to handle... the most useful weapon you have is between your ears and the ability to listen to your gut and stay away from potential trouble in the first place.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #4

I don't go camping without my dog or my gun. If my dog isn't welcome I go elsewhere.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
Old 05-22-2012, 06:44 PM   #5

For us, we stay at only Provincial Parks, National Parks, ... and when down in the US of A ... State and Nationals. We find there is a large difference in clients that go the provincal, state and national parks, that those who go the private campground route.
Good campgrounds have rules to abide by, and security to back them up.
I just got back from camping in an Ontario provincial park this morning, I was one of only 3 campers in there ... and this morning I saw a OPP cruiser driving around .. making sure everyone is ok.

hope this helps .. d-mo ..
Old 05-23-2012, 06:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kixonrt66 View Post
OK, I need to ask another question that may raise some eyebrows. Most of the campgrounds we visit typically are full of very nice people and we have seldom if ever had any problems. However, we have visited some campgrounds that are a bit wild in terms of behavior of some of the campers. One of these is at a lake that we like very much but it is a party place for the younger crowd and this inevitably attracts the drinkers and party folk. We have no problem with this as long as people stay to themselves and leave us alone. On a few trips we have made this has not been the case. We have been approached by unsavory types who were intoxicated beyond reason and I didn't feel comfortable at all. If we have not been set up for the night I would have left but we made the decision to stay the night and leave at first light. It was a bad choice. The wild antics continued on through the night and there were fights, property damage and police. Ever since this experience, I carry a pistol with me when we travel. I am licensed to carry it and it is completely legal for me to do so. Trust me, the LAST thing I would ever want to do is to hurt anyone and I would go out of my way to avoid such a confrontation. We do however live in a world of folks that can and often do make bad decisions. I feel safer knowing that if I was FORCED into protecting myself or my family I could do so. I wonder if any of you have had experiences like this and how you feel about legally carrying a firearm when you go camping. I apologize in advance if this subject matter offends anyone.

Kix

Do what you have to do to protect your family. I own multiple pistols, shotguns, AR 15's, etc.. but unfortunately live in the land of no concealment. You dont seem like your looking to wave it around like an idiot every chance you get.

I am a firm believer in gun safetly and concealment (if you can). Never know what kind of animals you could possibly run into if you're boondocking too.

TV = 2016 F-150 5.0L SCREW
Pit Crew: DW (Robin)
Kids: 9yo DD (Riley), 5yo DD (Kennedy)
Security: Boxer (Harley), yorkie (Willow)
Old 05-23-2012, 07:01 AM   #7

I'm also one that carries a firearm legally, and not just while I camp.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #8

Guns and camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeB View Post
Do what you have to do to protect your family. I own multiple pistols, shotguns, AR 15's, etc.. but unfortunately live in the land of no concealment. You dont seem like your looking to wave it around like an idiot every chance you get.

I am a firm believer in gun safetly and concealment (if you can). Never know what kind of animals you could possibly run into if you're boondocking too.
No, I'm not a gun waving unsafe person, just a responsible citizen who believes in protecting myself in a last resort situation. Calling law enforcement and letting them do their job is always the first and best choice. I only carry for situations where there may not be time for this option. I assure you, my firearms are never brandished or displayed in a threatening way, this type of behavior can land you in jail PDQ.

Kix
Old 05-23-2012, 11:34 AM   #9
Flagstaff 625D Popup

Kix, this reminds me of the saying "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

I would carry, but I shot myself in the leg one time (by accident) now my wife won't let me own a gun. Well, maybe she has a point...

Bean
Old 05-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #10

Carry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean View Post
Kix, this reminds me of the saying "When seconds count, the police are only minutes away."

I would carry, but I shot myself in the leg one time (by accident) now my wife won't let me own a gun. Well, maybe she has a point...

Bean
I seldom carry on my person even though I am licensed to do so. I usually will keep my gun in a safe but accessible place when I am camping. I don't want to give folks the impression that I am some kind of gun waving fanatic, I am not. I have been a hunter, fisherman and outdoorsman all my life and I grew up around firearms used for hunting. I was taught to be a safe responsible gun owner and also to have great respect for the environment. I was also taught to mind my own business and how to avoid trouble if at all possible. Sometimes trouble is unavoidable whether it be crazy people or wild animals run amuck. I just wondered how many folks carry a firearm when camping for when an absolute unavoidable situation might occur.

Kix
Old 05-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #11

Kix,

I do not think guns belong in campgrounds at all.

I am not anti-gun, I actually have a permit to carry but have never taken it to a CG it goes against the reason I camp. CG should be a family and friendly environment where i want to feel like i do not even need to lock my camper door and the idea of needing my gun just kills that.

Boondocking I understand that makes sense that you want to be able to protect yourself, As for your camping in a CG with party people, my suggestion would be find a new CG sooner or later that owner will figure out the trouble is not worth the effort and set some limits to get the family campers back.
2023 Road Glide ST
Old 05-23-2012, 12:48 PM   #12

Guns and camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper_Lucy View Post
Kix,

since this thread has seemed to move from dogs to guns, guess i'll add my 2 cents...

I do not think guns belong in campgrounds at all.

I am not anti-gun, I actually have a permit to carry but have never taken it to a CG it goes against the reason I camp. CG should be a family and friendly environment where i want to feel like i do not even need to lock my camper door and the idea of needing my gun just kills that.

Boondocking I understand that makes sense that you want to be able to protect yourself, As for your camping in a CG with party people, my suggestion would be find a new CG sooner or later that owner will figure out the trouble is not worth the effort and set some limits to get the family campers back.
I see your point Lucy and I agree. The VAST majority of campground that we frequent are great. People are polite, mind their own business and we have no issues. However, we do boondock fairly regularly. Some of the places we visit are very remote and have no cell service, no hook ups, nothing. This is part of the reason we chose a small hard side camper instead of a larger travel trailer with more room. Larger trailers are impossible to get into some of the places we like. We cross places where we have had trouble with unsavory types off of our list of destinations, but we like to explore new places too. I just believe in being prepared for any emergency. I carry my hand gun just like I carry a well stocked first aid kit. It never comes to mind really, but it's comforting to know it's there.

Kix
Old 05-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper_Lucy View Post
Kix,

since this thread has seemed to move from dogs to guns, guess i'll add my 2 cents...

I do not think guns belong in campgrounds at all. ....

Boondocking I understand that makes sense that you want to be able to protect yourself. ...
Lucy, I totally agree with you. This thread is depressing. At this point, I am not certain it serves any useful value. I believe that it takes away from the true joy in why I like to camp (36+ years of tent camping - and now hard-side camping).
Old 05-23-2012, 03:39 PM   #14

Guns seriously.
I think I will stick to Canadian parks.

Even those Canadians that have a license to carry guns can only carry their guns between their home and the shooting range (or hunting grounds). As I understand it.

2020 Salem Cruise Lite 241QBXL
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn Eco-Diesel
Previous Trailer -> 2012 Rockwood Roo 233s
-> 1996 Jayco 1207
Old 05-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #15

Making good guys helpless doesn't make bad guys harmless...
at least we all have our early warning systems... Model No. = DOG.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #16

Yea, let's not turn this into a gun carry right and wrong debate, that will ensure this thread gets a big fat lock.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #17

Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFugate View Post
Yea, let's not turn this into a gun carry right and wrong debate, that will ensure this thread gets a big a big fat lock.
I agree. I only asked this question to see if there were others who also take firearms with them when camping. I'm sorry if this subject has made anyone uncomfortable. I have an answer to my question, so let's just let this topic go.

many Thanks,

Kix
Old 05-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #18

Guns: I am a CC permit holder in PA, I don't always carry (but I guess I should.) I'd like to think that we live in a world where the crazies would never bother people in a family campground, but the truth is: there are a lot of crazy people out there. Your chances of meeting one when you leave your house in the morning are pretty slim, but you want to be prepared if it happens. If you're in line at McDonalds and a nut job comes in the place blasting, I'd like to be able to return fire. So to me, camping is no different than going out in public like I do everyday. Most campgrounds have no firearms policies, but they're not going to know I have one unless something bad happens. At that point, getting kicked out of the CG is the least of my worries. I'll still be alive.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Old 05-23-2012, 05:25 PM   #19

As far as personal protection, I think many RVers do carry weapons including the idiots at the campground where you were. I'm sorry you had that experience. I think the campground is at fault for allowing such behavior. Contact the owners and let them know what happened.

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
Old 05-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFugate
Yea, let's not turn this into a gun carry right and wrong debate, that will ensure this thread gets a big fat lock.
I didn't mean to make it a gun carrying debate.
One thing I was trying to point out is that the laws in Canada and the US.

In the US you have the right to bear arms and that is fine, in Canada we do not.

A US citizen should not try to cross into Canada carrying a gun. They could get into a heap of trouble. That is all.

2020 Salem Cruise Lite 241QBXL
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn Eco-Diesel
Previous Trailer -> 2012 Rockwood Roo 233s
-> 1996 Jayco 1207
Closed Thread

Tags
led pad