Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #21

I answered honestly about gun ownership when crossing into Canada. "do you have any weapons or guns?", "no" I said. "Do you own any?", "Yes, but they are at home" I said.

Same questions repeated a few questions later, Same answers.

The border agent soon closed his window and was writing away in the card.... Then he came out the other door and placed the card under the windshield wiper and directed us to the inspection area.

Quick search of the car and some more questions later by other border agents and we were allowed to go on into Canada. Had a lovely trip. Might however change how I answer those questions in the future - just to save the 20 minutes.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Old 05-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #22

Glad we camp in Canada. We have a strict gun law for hand guns. If you feel the need to use extra force call 911. That is what the police are for. If you have a gun around a unruly group of people it could mean that they could get the gun away from you and then you and your family are now at risk of major harm.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Before staying at any state park, I check the gun rules there. I have a CHP (concealed handgun permit) in Va. I am allowed to carry in the state and federal parks here. But you really got to check out state parks elsewhere. On a recent trip to a South Carolina state park, I did not take a gun along. Even though South Carolina recognizes my carry permit, their state park information reads "no guns". So instead of taking a chance of ending up in a SC jail, I left my gun at home.

By my understanding, any one has the right to transport a gun on any highway through any state.....including strict NY. But the gun has be unloaded, in an area that is not easily accessible, and preferable with a lock or in a locked case.

Before I leave on a trip, I check reciprocity laws in the states that I will be traveling through. Plus I make a copy of the most current information, just in case I am stopped.

There have been very few times that I have ever felt threatened while traveling. A gun is always a last resort. Avoidance, non confrontational conversation, readily giving up my valuables (if so requested), and getting the heck out of Dodge are my preferred alternatives. I have never felt the need to even think about pulling my firearm.

Wild animals are also non on my non-dangerous list.....unless I believe something is rabid, and will not quit chasing me......that be a whole different ball game.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
Old 05-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #24

Darn .

I dont want to close this debate, but i would like to put my two cents into it.
Being Canadian, most of us are scared of hand guns. We dont like the idea of carrying them, possession and the crime that goes along with them. But for me ... this is a Canadian issue.
For people visiting in the US from Canada, its truely a non issue. From all my travellings through eastern seaboard of the US, and even into Texas ...this never even came to mind. People are at most times ..always respectfull of others .. especially fellow campers .. and in no need to be approached.
Your safety zone is common sense ...use it and enjoy your travels.

d-mo
Old 05-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #25
Site Team - Lou

The difference between a sheep dog and a wolf is moot between the two of them.

It makes a big difference to the flock however.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:55 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper_Lucy View Post
Kix,

I do not think guns belong in campgrounds at all.

I am not anti-gun, I actually have a permit to carry but have never taken it to a CG it goes against the reason I camp. CG should be a family and friendly environment where i want to feel like i do not even need to lock my camper door and the idea of needing my gun just kills that.
I was in Surfside Beach Texas over Easter weekend and a nice quiet island turned into a mess as The Kappa Beach Party, also named The Texas Beach Party was kicked out of Galveston and only via the internet was advertised to take place in Surfside Beach. 20,000 inner city youths swarmed over this little quiet beach town. I was glad I had both my Glock and my AR15 with me. I never travel without either one of them. BTW 5 people were shot and 1 died that night....... The red and blue lights from the cop cars city and county made it look like Christmas lights on the tree. This is the reason I bring them with you never know what is going to happen. Oh and I brought my dog as well as she gets in the truck before the guns do.
Oh yes i am licensed to conceal carry in every state I visit except Illinois
Green= Permits I have
Blue=permit is honored
Red=Not allowed
Black=Screwed

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
1999 Yamaha Grizzly
1996 HD Dyna Wide Glide
Old 05-24-2012, 06:41 AM   #27
Site Team - Lou

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf

for the latest CCA reciprocity.

FL and UT will issue to non-residents PROVIDED you have a current permit from YOUR state. I have all three (PA, UT,and FL) to make sure I am good to go if I carry when traveling (almost always [gun or Taser] unless I am transiting a US state that prohibits it, like IL).
Old 05-24-2012, 07:10 AM   #28
Site Team - Lou

Traveling with Fireams

This thread is being created to have a place to post information "specific to traveling with firearms while RVing." Please limit your comments to that venue.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:16 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

I agree Herk. I hunt and shoot but don't travel with guns so the information is interesting to me. It can be useful to read (if everyone can avoid the posturing).

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Old 05-24-2012, 07:33 AM   #30

We all know where this post is leading. This topic has been discussed in the past and it inevitably ends up in the gutters. Makes for entertaining reading though.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 05-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #31

It can be a lot of work traveling with firearms because of the different state requirements, licensing, transport protocols, etc. traveling within your home state is generally less complicated. In my experience, most legal gun owners are hyper compliant, sane, non-comfrontational, discreet individuals and you'd never know they were carrying. I've run into dogs and dog owners in my travels that were more threatening than legal gun owners.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:40 AM   #32
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
We all know where this post is leading. This topic has been discussed in the past and it inevitably ends up in the gutters. Makes for entertaining reading though.
As with all issues where there are strongly held beliefs; PLEASE keep your comments civil. It is far too easy to climb up on your "high horse" and then you get a lot of "name calling" once logic fails to convince.

If our "north of 49th" friends and the ban guns folks want to participate great. Just remember the rules on post baiting. This thread is not for you.

The thread is here to provide information to those who LEGALLY want to carry or bring guns for recreation while camping.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

For those who are interested in a non-internet resource, I recently picked up "The Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States" by Kappas. Its updated for 2012 (so it includes the info on WI's new CC law). Lots of useful information on reciprocity, how to travel, Castle doctrine, and so on

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Old 05-24-2012, 07:56 AM   #34
flc

As someone who carried a firearm for the 42years before I retired from federal service I always have one where legal to do so. I believe there are many more traveling with firearms than most people believe. If you are uncomfortable with a firearm please do not have one. In my years of traveling with an RV I have found most places I stayed to be filled with courteous campers that are enjoyable to be around. I hope you always find that as well. I hope you will never need a law enforcement officer and find one just out of reach. The final say in self defense of you and yours rests with you.

2013 Bullet 248 RKS (soon)
2012 F150 SuperCrew w/Ecoboost 3.5L
Old 05-24-2012, 08:01 AM   #35
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by flc View Post
The final say in self defense of you and yours rests with you whether you are a sheep or sheepdog.
Personally, it is the wolves that are the concern.
They sometimes hide amongst the flock...
Sheepdogs do the same thing.
Sort of like "Q-ships" in the fleet.
Q-ship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 05-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #36

As an observer in this debate, if I can interject and ask a question, my question would be for those who carry firearms, do you feel personnally safer with one and if you do, wouldn't another option be to visit only parks that are known to be safe. And as a supplementary comment, Canada is not immune to drunken idiots who only exist to cause trouble and strife. As you know, we cannot carry firearms and I would avoid those areas. I guess you can say, I'm a lover , not a fighter, and that comment is not meant to be disparaging in any way. I just love travelling in the US and comments here scare me sometimes.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 05-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #37

You never know where safe is and unsafe is not. People have walked into McDonalds and other establishments and just opened fire. I wouldn't go to a place if I thought I was going to get into a firefight.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
I agree Herk. I hunt and shoot but don't travel with guns so the information is interesting to me. It can be useful to read (if everyone can avoid the posturing).
I'm also a hunter and the only time I do travel with a hunting rifle and/or pistol is to and from a hunting camp. And the only time I show it is when I have wild game (not the two-legged type) in my sites.

But, there is some good information coming out of this thread.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:31 AM   #39
Site Team - Lou

I certainly can NOT speak for anyone but myself.

I feel that the defense of my family from the unexpected (be it animal or person) rests with each of us. I used to be better "unarmed" when I was younger; but as I got older and "fatter" I felt I needed "the great equalizer" as Sam Colt once said, to be able to provide that same degree of protection.

Most policemen will tell you that their mandate is to investigate crime; find and apprehend the criminal; and detain them for the Justice System. In nearly ever case the crime has already occurred before they are even notified there is a problem.

I strongly believe that I, and my family, should be prepared to "Not Be a Victim." That means being aware of our surroundings; constantly be alert for potential threats; and taking precautions to avoid being the "victim in the paper."

That means carrying and knowing how to use Bear Spray in Bear country or a "personal protective device" in "wolf country." Some say that is paranoia; I say it is just good common sense.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:34 AM   #40

I'm sure these campers didn't think they were camping in a bad area. I would bet if they thought it was they would have camped elsewhere.

Norway killings: suspect beckoned young campers to him before shooting them dead - Telegraph
Closed Thread

Tags
led pad