Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2012, 03:37 AM   #1

US must keep RV quality up or ??

yes just what I hoped to never see
units made in China
RV factories here need to keep RV quality up
let us not lose another market over seas
Mountainman

Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:15 AM   #2

i personally would quit rving if i had to buy import . i refuse to buy non-american care and l check the label on everything i buy ,if i cant buy american i really consider how much i need the item. rv ing is a choice so i could give it up if i choose too . BTW i find the quality of my unit quite good and have no complaints with forest river
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tncruiser View Post
i personally would quit rving if i had to buy import . i refuse to buy non-american care and l check the label on everything i buy ,if i cant buy american i really consider how much i need the item. rv ing is a choice so i could give it up if i choose too . BTW i find the quality of my unit quite good and have no complaints with forest river
brianj
The lines on what is American made have become blurred. Many foreign labels cars are assembled here in the U.S. and some American label cars are produced in Mexico. When it comes to clothes I can’t tell you the last time I saw a man’s shirt with a made in USA label.

The only thing I refuse to purchase is something made in Vietnam. Ain’t gonna happen.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
The lines on what is American made have become blurred. Many foreign labels cars are assembled here in the U.S. and some American label cars are produced in Mexico. When it comes to clothes I can’t tell you the last time I saw a man’s shirt with a made in USA label.

The only thing I refuse to purchase is something made in Vietnam. Ain’t gonna happen.
you are right on veitnam is becoming very active in our markets most seafood come from vietnam and i have seen the toilet habits of viet,s and their fishing into the same pond and china was really who we were fighting in viet nam
my car a jeep wrangler 79% American content ,wifes car 2012 ford explorer 89% american content with no taxpayers $$$
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #5

My DW's car, a subaru build in the U.S. and 99% U.S. made part. My Dodge Dakota, build in Canada with parts from ????, the new Dodge Rams are built in Mexico, so what is MADE IN THE U.S.of A. anymore???

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #6

"RV factories here need to keep RV quality up"
==============================
Before they can "keep" the quality up, they have to produce a quality product. They are not there yet, too many cost-saving measures that mean a substandard, if not outright faulty, product. The frames and axles on many of their units are dangerously under-sized, as evidenced by torn frame members and bent axles. China couldn't do much worse.

As for not buying anything Chinese, I have to laugh when I picture the poster walking around naked!

And the prejudice against Vietnam is revealing. It was your government that sent you to Vietnam, be mad at them.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
"RV factories here need to keep RV quality up"
==============================
Before they can "keep" the quality up, they have to produce a quality product. They are not there yet, too many cost-saving measures that mean a substandard, if not outright faulty, product. The frames and axles on many of their units are dangerously under-sized, as evidenced by torn frame members and bent axles. China couldn't do much worse.

As for not buying anything Chinese, I have to laugh when I picture the poster walking around naked!

And the prejudice against Vietnam is revealing. It was your government that sent you to Vietnam, be mad at them.
I am mad at them and they know it because of the many emails I've sent, and continue to do so. Over 58,000 names are on the Vietnam War Memorial. All gave their lives fighting communism.
For the year 2011 the U.S. had a 13 billion dollar trade deficit with Vietnam. Essentially, we are now supporting that same communist government that so many gave up their lives fighting.
I don't have a problem with the U.S. having trade relations with Vietnam, but I do have a problem with a TRADE DEFICIT with that country. As far as I'm concerned, this is a crime against the American people. Once a month I send an email to both of my senators and the white house expressing this feeling.

I can't speak to the motorized portion of the RV industry, but the quality is certainly lacking in fifth wheels and bumper pulls. I too would hate to see the RV industry taken over by foreign imports. However, competition is good for the consumer so...

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #8

I would have to agree with the idea that competition is good for the consumer. If the China-made RV products turn out to be junk, then American consumers will call them on it (through forums like this and other word of mouth outlets,) and they'll be out of business in a hurry. If they make a quality product, they'll gain market share and force the American industry to improve quality. It may make their costs go up, competing with cheap Chinese labor, but I don't think any if us are in this because it's a cheap pastime. The net result is a win-win for the RV consumer getting a better product. In terms of cars--I haven't purchased an "American" car since 2002 (my truck) because the European and Japanese products beat them in quality hands down, and if Toyota or Nissan were to build a serious 2500 style diesel, I'd have to seriously consider it over a D/C/F product. I've spent more money keeping my Dodge on the road over the past 10 years then I paid for it, so if someone is making a better quality product, I don't care where it's made.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Its a free market people and the smart consumer shops and buys the best quality at the best price regardless of origin and I bet you do, too.

Or, don't. Its your choice, but then don't complain.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #10

somebody needs to

Quote:
somebody needs to
make a stand for Made In American to come back
I have not been naked outside for a long time
but
if that would truly help our very sad situation
I would strip down
and make a big stand
in my own little way

I'am still willing to pay twice the price
for THINGS made in the USA
sure
it would be very painful
that's the problem these days
many want someTHING for free
or in the case of China
close to it

Mountainman
Old 03-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #11

"I've spent more money keeping my Dodge on the road over the past 10 years then I paid for it"
==================
I think that would be the exception. My last truck was a 1997 Ram 1500, and the only thing I ever had to do was change the spark plugs (once), and tires. It was a great vehicle. And I absolutely love my new Ram.

As for the guy compaining about the trade deficit with Vietnam, the US doesn't have anything they want, so what do you want the government to do?
And consider how well Vietnam's economy has done after the US abused it in their phoney fight against "communism". They have a vibrant and powerful economy, fueled by a people who have little to do with the communist boogeyman.
Maybe if the US wasn't so worried about protecting the interests of their rich corporations around the world, it wouldn't be bankrupt today?
Old 03-03-2012, 10:34 AM   #12

a new language at my age

wow
seems many of us here
are a little up tight here on this morning
after I posted this thread
got to wondering
how much of our trailer is already
Made In The Old China Place ??

probably way more
than I ever would have thought

yes
they have a plan
next THING we know
they will own our LAND

Mountainman

PS
saw a special on TV a while back
China already owns ((much property)) here
as I thank God today
they have not moved in next door to us here yet
on the old dirt road in the mountains
I don't want to learn a new language at my age
Old 03-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Mountainmanbob,

Sure, there are many products that are designed and produced here that are better than non-US products and the cost difference is reasonable.

But certainly not all products are built better.

So, let me ask you three questions:

What priority are you placing on quality?

What priority are you placing on price?

And

If presented with two products; one from a company out of the US and one that is made in the good ol' US of A. Would you pay twice as much for a significantly substandard product just because its from this country?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #14
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
"I think that would be the exception. My last truck was a 1997 Ram 1500, and the only thing I ever had to do was change the spark plugs (once), and tires. It was a great vehicle. And I absolutely love my new Ram.
"
==================
I disagree, our 2008 Ram 2500 in the first 25 months was in for repairs 42 times. It was soo bad Chrysler Canada extended the 60k bumper to bumper out to the power train 100k. And that included everything for blower and windshield wiper motors to front end rebuild to a complete replacement of the heater box and all the servo motors and doors, rear end problems, cracked exhaust manifold and well the list goes on.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #15

here's another one I will throw out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Mountainmanbob,

If presented with two products; one from a company out of the US and one that is made in the good ol' US of A. Would you pay twice as much for a significantly substandard product just because its from this country?
good Sat morning Triguy

I would be willing to pay twice the price
for the same quality built THING
not a rich man by no means
sitting up here on the mountain top
but
so as to save or rebuild our Country
I would be more than willing
to pay twice the price
for my products made in the USA
would it change the way in which I live
a little
probably so
I think that we will all need to suffer some
if
we wish to re-claim the United States
here's another one I will throw out
such as all of our entitlement Programs
we are giving away a little too much
FREE MONEY
some of the lazy goofballs receiving
don't even have a clue where it comes from
>>>>> our pockets <<<<<
and what happens
when you take their
Free Money drug away
a good look at Greece today tells the story

Mountainman
Old 03-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #16

the little trailer that you are showing is very cute but regarding the reviews on this elite it has its parts of problems also and quite heavy for its size.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #17

this thread has me all worked up now

Quote:
Originally Posted by capucine View Post
the little trailer that you are showing is very cute but regarding the reviews on this elite it has its parts of problems also and quite heavy for its size.
I don't want one
no matter how cute it is
or even if the cost is close to free
unless it is made in the US
not to step on our (real friend) neighbor's toe
or Made In Canada

Mountainman

signing off for the morning
going out to wax my THING
I hate to even look
that wax is made where ??????
the only THING I know for sure to be made here
is my wife
and after all of these early morning thoughts
I'am checking her papers today
Old 03-03-2012, 11:34 AM   #18

I once posted a political statement and it was promptly removed by Big Brother (Moderators) and I received some scolding for said post. I am amazed that previous posts on this forum remain.

On the other subject at hand, it makes no sense to pay double simply because it is a home grown product. You tie your money up on one or just a few products. A good consumer shops for the best value for a product, purchases it and has money left over for other commodities. That's how a vibrant economy works. If you purchase a foreign made product, not all that money goes overseas. It is short sighted to think it does. Maybe things work different in the mountains where the air is thin,but I doubt it.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #19

mountainmanbob: have you checked how many items in your trailer are not made in the States. You would be surprised of the amount even if it is an American company it does not mean it was fabricated in the States.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #20

And some of the most problem-prone parts, like axles and frames, are definitely made in the US. So much for that.