Old 03-03-2012, 03:37 AM   #1

US must keep RV quality up or ??

yes just what I hoped to never see
units made in China
RV factories here need to keep RV quality up
let us not lose another market over seas
Mountainman

Old 03-03-2012, 07:15 AM   #2

i personally would quit rving if i had to buy import . i refuse to buy non-american care and l check the label on everything i buy ,if i cant buy american i really consider how much i need the item. rv ing is a choice so i could give it up if i choose too . BTW i find the quality of my unit quite good and have no complaints with forest river
brianj

take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tncruiser View Post
i personally would quit rving if i had to buy import . i refuse to buy non-american care and l check the label on everything i buy ,if i cant buy american i really consider how much i need the item. rv ing is a choice so i could give it up if i choose too . BTW i find the quality of my unit quite good and have no complaints with forest river
brianj
The lines on what is American made have become blurred. Many foreign labels cars are assembled here in the U.S. and some American label cars are produced in Mexico. When it comes to clothes I canít tell you the last time I saw a manís shirt with a made in USA label.

The only thing I refuse to purchase is something made in Vietnam. Ainít gonna happen.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
The lines on what is American made have become blurred. Many foreign labels cars are assembled here in the U.S. and some American label cars are produced in Mexico. When it comes to clothes I canít tell you the last time I saw a manís shirt with a made in USA label.

The only thing I refuse to purchase is something made in Vietnam. Ainít gonna happen.
you are right on veitnam is becoming very active in our markets most seafood come from vietnam and i have seen the toilet habits of viet,s and their fishing into the same pond and china was really who we were fighting in viet nam
my car a jeep wrangler 79% American content ,wifes car 2012 ford explorer 89% american content with no taxpayers $$$
brianj
take us
tncruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #5

My DW's car, a subaru build in the U.S. and 99% U.S. made part. My Dodge Dakota, build in Canada with parts from ????, the new Dodge Rams are built in Mexico, so what is MADE IN THE U.S.of A. anymore???

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #6

"RV factories here need to keep RV quality up"
==============================
Before they can "keep" the quality up, they have to produce a quality product. They are not there yet, too many cost-saving measures that mean a substandard, if not outright faulty, product. The frames and axles on many of their units are dangerously under-sized, as evidenced by torn frame members and bent axles. China couldn't do much worse.

As for not buying anything Chinese, I have to laugh when I picture the poster walking around naked!

And the prejudice against Vietnam is revealing. It was your government that sent you to Vietnam, be mad at them.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
"RV factories here need to keep RV quality up"
==============================
Before they can "keep" the quality up, they have to produce a quality product. They are not there yet, too many cost-saving measures that mean a substandard, if not outright faulty, product. The frames and axles on many of their units are dangerously under-sized, as evidenced by torn frame members and bent axles. China couldn't do much worse.

As for not buying anything Chinese, I have to laugh when I picture the poster walking around naked!

And the prejudice against Vietnam is revealing. It was your government that sent you to Vietnam, be mad at them.
I am mad at them and they know it because of the many emails I've sent, and continue to do so. Over 58,000 names are on the Vietnam War Memorial. All gave their lives fighting communism.
For the year 2011 the U.S. had a 13 billion dollar trade deficit with Vietnam. Essentially, we are now supporting that same communist government that so many gave up their lives fighting.
I don't have a problem with the U.S. having trade relations with Vietnam, but I do have a problem with a TRADE DEFICIT with that country. As far as I'm concerned, this is a crime against the American people. Once a month I send an email to both of my senators and the white house expressing this feeling.

I can't speak to the motorized portion of the RV industry, but the quality is certainly lacking in fifth wheels and bumper pulls. I too would hate to see the RV industry taken over by foreign imports. However, competition is good for the consumer so...

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #8

I would have to agree with the idea that competition is good for the consumer. If the China-made RV products turn out to be junk, then American consumers will call them on it (through forums like this and other word of mouth outlets,) and they'll be out of business in a hurry. If they make a quality product, they'll gain market share and force the American industry to improve quality. It may make their costs go up, competing with cheap Chinese labor, but I don't think any if us are in this because it's a cheap pastime. The net result is a win-win for the RV consumer getting a better product. In terms of cars--I haven't purchased an "American" car since 2002 (my truck) because the European and Japanese products beat them in quality hands down, and if Toyota or Nissan were to build a serious 2500 style diesel, I'd have to seriously consider it over a D/C/F product. I've spent more money keeping my Dodge on the road over the past 10 years then I paid for it, so if someone is making a better quality product, I don't care where it's made.
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Its a free market people and the smart consumer shops and buys the best quality at the best price regardless of origin and I bet you do, too.

Or, don't. Its your choice, but then don't complain.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #10

somebody needs to

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
somebody needs to
make a stand for Made In American to come back
I have not been naked outside for a long time
but
if that would truly help our very sad situation
I would strip down
and make a big stand
in my own little way

I'am still willing to pay twice the price
for THINGS made in the USA
sure
it would be very painful