Old 09-25-2015, 09:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by French View Post
Mquay point Understood... if you are planning to drive that VW car into the ground and never sell then go ahead ,fill your boots. If ,however, you have any concern about residual value at trade in time you are going to take a bath. The brand is wounded, perhaps not mortally but definitely hurt. if you wait and buy low and then down the road sell low you should be fine. My comment was to a previous comment about how they are going this weekend to purchase a TDI!
Unfortunately they have pulled all new TDIs off the market. I couldn't buy one tomorrow if I tried, even used cannot be sold now.

My big concern is as you said, value. When and if they come back on the market I'll look at them again and if the mileage, performance and "value" are still there then I'll buy.

I feel though VW will come out of this wiser, smarter and with empty pockets. Hopefully I'll be able to get one at rock bottom prices and drive it until I take it to the scrap yard.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:51 AM   #12
DDC

While it has done some damage to the company, it is far from being fatal, all of the parts are on the cars and all it will take is a software update to engage the emission system all the time as opposed to just when it was being asked to pass a test, the big winners in this will be VW dealers who will have to install the software update, this is not the first time this has happened, Caterpillar and Cummins and Volvo bought their way out of this when they got caught in 2009, this one is just larger.

Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:02 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
While it has done some damage to the company, it is far from being fatal, all of the parts are on the cars and all it will take is a software update to engage the emission system all the time as opposed to just when it was being asked to pass a test, the big winners in this will be VW dealers who will have to install the software update, this is not the first time this has happened, Caterpillar and Cummins and Volvo bought their way out of this when they got caught in 2009, this one is just larger.
It may not be as simple as software. They may have to retrofit these vehicles with some kind of DEF system. It is all going to depend on what the govt ultimately ends up doing about this. I'm sure they don't like having egg on their face. They also may want to make an example of VW. It's all really supposition right now. Time will tell.

Here's What It Might Cost To Fix Each 2.0 TDI Volkswagen

VW Owners Aren't Going to Like the Fixes for Their Diesels | WIRED

EDIT: This stuff is also spreading over to Europe, and could possibly entail millions of diesels there. I'm now reading that BMW is being looked at and their shares are also going down.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:52 AM   #14
Engineer of Crazy Train

VW should have put on a SCR with Urea treatment when it needed to meet the NOx levels. They didn't. I personally would buy one, even with he recalled programming, and have it reprogrammed with a tune.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:59 AM   #15
Site Team

Agree with WMTire on this. If it is as simple as a software update there would be no reason to risk getting caught. A software update may reduce emissions to acceptable levels, but not without a significant impact in performance and mileage. Also expect EPA to use VW as an example of why you should not cheat. Addition of a DEF system would be a major retrofit and certainly generate a Class Action suit. I am sure there are many law firms out there looking at this as a major improvement to their bottom line. Not condoning , just stating facts.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:39 AM   #16
DDC

They pass when they are connected to the testing system.
There is some great info out there about this, look at this one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	12042918_1142828829064658_337766541681515591_n.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	89815
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:14 AM   #17

DDC.... "the big winners in this are the VW dealers who have to install the software update" Really? That's a new meaning for "big winners" I am not familiar with. I think you will have to look long and hard to find any VW dealers who are feeling like winners right now. They apparently cannot even sell much of their inventory and the units they can are sell are suddenly less desirable
2015 Rockwood 8285IKWS Diamond
Jokes about German sausage are the wurst
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:34 AM   #18

The Government will give them a slap on the wrist and install software.

Remember the early 80's and Chrysler under Lea Iacocq?? They provided shut K cars and Relieve 's that ran on regular gas and did not meet emissions standards. They were cheap, had safety flaws and fell apart. This was to save chrysler back then. VW will learn it's lesson and move on. People love TDI VW very loyal crowd.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:27 PM   #19
Site Team

And even more models are getting brought into the dieselgate. Just letting the members know, in case they have any of these newly listed vehicles that are most likely going to get recalled.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/epa-find...185452277.html

Federal regulators said today they had found 10,000 additional diesel engines in Volkswagen Group vehicles—including Audi sedans and Porsche SUVs—that fake their emissions under testing through software, adding another layer to the scandal engulfing the German automaker.

The results belie VW’s statements six weeks ago that a software program which could sense whether a vehicle was being tested by authorities was only installed in four-cylinder turbodiesels. VW has said 11 million vehicles worldwide were affected by that software, and has pledged to spend billions of dollars bringing them into compliance. The scandal has led to the ouster of VW’s CEO and investigations around the world.

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency said its testing uncovered similar software in seven new models equipped with 3-liter V-6 diesels: the 2014 Volkswagen Touareg, 2015 models of the Porsche Cayenne and 2016 models of the Audi A6 Quattro, Audi A7 Quattro, Audi A8 and Audi Q5.

“VW has once again failed its obligation to comply with the law that protects the air for all Americans,” said Cynthia Giles, EPA’s Assistant Administrator for Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance.

According to the agency, its testing following the first revelation about VW engines also found a two-mode setup in the 3-liter V-6 turbodiesels. When the vehicles sensed they were undergoing federal emissions testing, they would turn on a “temperature conditioning” mode that changed several engine settings. In that setting, higher exhaust temperatures warmed up the catalytic converter, allowing the vehicles to meet federal standards.

But exactly one second after the required testing time passed, the software switches to normal mode, which ends several strategies for limiting pollutants. The software also doesn’t turn on “temperature conditioning” if it doesn’t sense the vehicle is being tested. In this mode, the EPA found the VW, Audi and Porsche models spew up to nine times more nitrous oxides than allowed by law—a pollutant that causes smog and lung disease.

Under federal law, VW could be liable for up to $375 million in fines under the federal Clean Air Act for the violations. The EPA said it had found no other automaker with similar devices in its testing, but declined to say how many other vehicles it has examined.
VW and its brands did not have an immediate comment on the news. While the vehicles are legal and safe to drive, VW will have to eventually recall them to bring them into compliance. It wasn’t immediately clear whether Audi dealers could continue selling any of their affected diesel models.

Since the scandal was uncovered in September, VW has replaced or suspended several executives. Prosecutors in the United States and Europe have launched probes into the automaker, which has vowed to begin repairing its vehicles early next year.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:48 PM   #20

Farfegnugen

That brings back memories...

Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel