Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2015, 04:20 PM   #21

I bought a 2013 diesel Passat about 9 months ago. Its a large comfortable car with loads of rear seat leg-room and a cavernous trunk. I'm a large guy at 6' and a fluffy 275 and it fits me just fine.

I average about 38 mpg in combined city/freeway driving and go 2 to 3 weeks in between fill-ups. I travel about 650-700 miles in that time. You pay a premium price for diesel, but if you use the gasbuddy app, it's easy to save yourself at least $0.30/gal by shopping. I love the car and planned on keeping it a good decade, maybe longer.

That said, I'm disappointed in VW's behavior. I suppose I've been damaged in re-sale value...but as I had no plans to sell the car, I've suffered no tangible loss. I'm interested in the plan to make right the cars. I can live with a horsepower decrease, as I didn't buy the car to race. If I read where I will suffer a fuel-mileage penalty...I'm pretty unlikely to bring the car in for the recall without a pretty attractive carrot.
chriszke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:32 PM   #22
DDC

VW is a corporation, they only come under part of the laws, they get to agree on a punishment, usually a punitive fine (by their standards) look at GM with the ignition switches (how many dead) AGREED to a fine. The whole system is just pathetic and completely stinks.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 01:12 PM   #23

With the American Outrage Cycle having moved on to Volkswagen’s diesel cheating, it would appear everyone has forgotten that General Motors’ cars killed nearly 130 people. But Reuters reports the automaker could still face punitive damages over the ignition switch, maybe:

The decision from U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Robert Gerber in Manhattan could increase GM’s financial exposure to claims for injuries, deaths or loss of vehicle value stemming from the 2014 recall.

Unlike compensatory damages, which are meant to make up for plaintiffs’ losses, punitive damages are designed to punish defendants for egregious or negligent conduct, and to deter future misbehavior.

However, while his ruling leaves punitive damages available in some cases, Gerber said plaintiffs could not argue that post-bankruptcy “New GM” was liable for what pre-bankruptcy “Old GM” “knew or did.”
Heli-Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel