Old 09-21-2015, 11:50 AM   #1
Site Team

Volkswagen's Dieselgate

For those who own diesel VW's (maybe a toad) or may own stock in VW, it's been going bad since Friday when the US government announced they have been purposefully cheating the emissions tests on their diesel cars. If you own one, then most likely it's going to be recalled, and if you own stock, then most likely it's losing value (dropped 17.4 billion this morning). Also if you are looking at buying one, there has been a stop order placed on any dealer being allowed to sell them.

Here are some articles on what's known so far:

Your Guide To Dieselgate: Volkswagen's Diesel Cheating Catastrophe*

Volkswagen Stock Plummets As CEO Apologizes For Emissions Cheat : The Two-Way : NPR

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:41 PM   #2

I was going this weekend to purchase a new Sport Wagen TDI, she was a red beauty. Oh well, I'll wait awhile and see what happens. I might get a great deal if and when this gets settled.

Old 09-24-2015, 09:53 PM   #3

Don't walk run

IMHO purchasing a Volkswagen now or anytime soon is exceedingly unwise. Just like the VW stock the intrinsic value and actual value of all things VW is tanking. VW may be a proud brand again in the future but if that happens or unless that happens run away from these poison vehicles as fast as you can. This will end badly and the worst is yet to come
2015 Rockwood 8285IKWS Diamond
Jokes about German sausage are the wurst
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:00 PM   #4

I have a 2013 TDI Jetta ... to many of us this is mostly "ho hum" stuff. Mine drives out fine and it may take me a long time to get it in if a recall happens. There are hundreds of thousands of vehicles in the world that can't or don't have to pass todays emissions standards and who says the big 3 don't have their little emissions skeletons undiscovered??? At 46 mpg hiway all day long any day of the week she's a keeper. Poison ???? mpg and reliability is powerful anti-venom!
Old 09-24-2015, 10:56 PM   #5

We have a 2011 Jetta TDI and it will never have the recall done! My 08 Ram is missing some parts to and drives a lot better than new!
Old 09-25-2015, 06:52 AM   #6

Diesel guy.... I understand your position , if I owned a VW diesel I would say the same. I was just suggesting to the previous poster that now is a poor time to jump into a new VW deal if they can avoid it. These cars have just taken a huge hit in value why willingly be part of that?
Old 09-25-2015, 07:01 AM   #7

I look at it from the other standpoint. I'm thinking that now or shortly would be the best time to buy one. 1. Yes the value has dropped...so should the cost.
2. Buy it now before the recall is initiated. It is the responsibility of the owner to return the vehicle to the dealer for any recall. Personally I would not have the recall performed so that I may enjoy the power and fuel economy.

jm2c
Old 09-25-2015, 08:20 AM   #8

Mquay point Understood... if you are planning to drive that VW car into the ground and never sell then go ahead ,fill your boots. If ,however, you have any concern about residual value at trade in time you are going to take a bath. The brand is wounded, perhaps not mortally but definitely hurt. if you wait and buy low and then down the road sell low you should be fine. My comment was to a previous comment about how they are going this weekend to purchase a TDI!
Old 09-25-2015, 08:27 AM   #9
Site Team

According to the article in the opening post, there has been a stop sale placed on these vehicles. You can't buy a new one if you wanted one, currently.

Edit: Found this

http://blog.caranddriver.com/vw-issu...diesel-models/

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:10 AM   #10
Site Team

Not sure this is as simple as I will just keep driving it and ignore a recall. If the pollution levels are as high as initially reported, some mandatory measures will have to be taken or else other manufacturers will sue to have standards reduced. Most likely an EPA mandate so not state specific. Even if your state dose not have an emissions test, EPA could require proof of correction as a condition of registration renewal. Odds are that satisfactory correction will have an measurable impact on performance or mileage or both which will most certainly result in a class action suit. If there was an easy fix which did not impact performance, there would be no need to cheat in the first place.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel