Old 04-04-2016, 08:49 AM   #1

We had a First

Friday we were on the way to one of our favorite camping spots. It's about an hour drive, well not Friday, we got a little over half way there and the traffic came to a stop. It took us an hour to go one mile, again we are stopped I tell my DH that I might as well go take care of pressing matters (potty), I finish my business come back, I'm standing up looking out the windshield trying to see if I can see what has caused this problem, when I see the lady next to us open her window, then my DH opens his window, a young lady walked up knocked on the drivers window and asked to use our bathroom. Of course we let her use it, she thanked us very much, she said she was beginning to get panicked , trust me I understand. I don't think she would have had it otherwise, we were still stuck in the traffic jam for about another 45 minutes.

Days Camped 2014 - 83, 2015 - 56, 2016 - 58, 2017 - 86

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:02 AM   #2

LOL good story. I'm sure you MORE than made her day!

Old 04-04-2016, 10:57 AM   #3
Fulltime family RVer

Good for you! I saw a post on RV.net a long while ago where this topic was debated. I was shocked at the lack of trust in humanity shown in that thread.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:06 AM   #4

Good for you.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins TD, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:10 AM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Good for you! I saw a post on RV.net a long while ago where this topic was debated. I was shocked at the lack of trust in humanity shown in that thread.
There was one here as well several months ago. It amazed me reading it. Some even saying they simply ignored the people at their window or door until they went away... Sad.

Good on you OP for being kind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:14 AM   #6

You know, I used to think about refusing someone like that in the same situation. Then I thought back, before we started to rv, about the many times I had been caught in backed up traffic on a limited access interstate. The times that got so bad my eyes were turning yellow, and started to look for a cup, bottle, anything I could use. Had there been someone near with an rv, I think I'd have been tempted to ask to use their "facilities".
Now, I truly think I would accomidate them. Just a matter of being considerate.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
This is a "double edged sword" topic. Best a person can do is use their best judgment and hope for the best outcome.
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD LT 4x4 6.0 / 4:10

The best plans can be of those that happen in the spur of the moment!
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:15 PM   #8
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
There was one here as well several months ago. It amazed me reading it. Some even saying they simply ignored the people at their window or door until they went away... Sad.

Interesting, I missed that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briorick View Post
This is a "double edged sword" topic. Best a person can do is use their best judgment and hope for the best outcome.

Definitely.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:45 PM   #9
cogito ergo moo

I had an issue like that once, and I had to take a hard line and say no to some people.

I used to have an older class-a. Every year there is a parade in my town and when my son was in marching band, we always went. One year, I took the motorhome as I always get there hours early to get a good spot. I had the awning out, the grills going, and tables set up. We had a good time "tailgating" in a parking lot adjacent to the parade route, before the parade even started.

I must have turned away 20 people who asked if they could use my toilet. Some where downright rude. I recall one mother practically demanding that I let her young daughter use my restroom. The most liberating lesson I have learned in my life is to be able to say "no" without having to make excuses or explain yourself. "No" should be sufficient. She actually screamed at me "Well, where is she supposed to go potty at?!?!" She did not react well when I said "That aint my problem, lady..."

The reason I did not let anyone use my toilet was that the nearest place to dump my tanks is about 20 miles away (40 mile round trip) and I did not want to take the time and gas to drive there to dump, nor did I want my tanks sitting there full of strangers urine till the next time I got my unit out near a dump site. I didn't even let my 'crew' use the toilets for that reason.

I don't think it was selfish in the slightest for me to deny the steady stream of people who expected me to be the solution to their lack of planning.

Tim
Rallies Attended:
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:58 PM   #10
'11 390BH

That is a a good reason and "No" is always a perfectly acceptable answer