Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2016, 07:49 AM   #1

We had a First

Friday we were on the way to one of our favorite camping spots. It's about an hour drive, well not Friday, we got a little over half way there and the traffic came to a stop. It took us an hour to go one mile, again we are stopped I tell my DH that I might as well go take care of pressing matters (potty), I finish my business come back, I'm standing up looking out the windshield trying to see if I can see what has caused this problem, when I see the lady next to us open her window, then my DH opens his window, a young lady walked up knocked on the drivers window and asked to use our bathroom. Of course we let her use it, she thanked us very much, she said she was beginning to get panicked , trust me I understand. I don't think she would have had it otherwise, we were still stuck in the traffic jam for about another 45 minutes.

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:02 AM   #2

LOL good story. I'm sure you MORE than made her day!
matwiyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:57 AM   #3
Always Learning

Good for you! I saw a post on RV.net a long while ago where this topic was debated. I was shocked at the lack of trust in humanity shown in that thread.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:06 AM   #4

Good for you.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins TD, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:10 AM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Good for you! I saw a post on RV.net a long while ago where this topic was debated. I was shocked at the lack of trust in humanity shown in that thread.
There was one here as well several months ago. It amazed me reading it. Some even saying they simply ignored the people at their window or door until they went away... Sad.

Good on you OP for being kind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:14 AM   #6

You know, I used to think about refusing someone like that in the same situation. Then I thought back, before we started to rv, about the many times I had been caught in backed up traffic on a limited access interstate. The times that got so bad my eyes were turning yellow, and started to look for a cup, bottle, anything I could use. Had there been someone near with an rv, I think I'd have been tempted to ask to use their "facilities".
Now, I truly think I would accomidate them. Just a matter of being considerate.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
This is a "double edged sword" topic. Best a person can do is use their best judgment and hope for the best outcome.

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:15 AM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
There was one here as well several months ago. It amazed me reading it. Some even saying they simply ignored the people at their window or door until they went away... Sad.

Interesting, I missed that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briorick View Post
This is a "double edged sword" topic. Best a person can do is use their best judgment and hope for the best outcome.

Definitely.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:45 PM   #9
Broken Toe

I had an issue like that once, and I had to take a hard line and say no to some people.

I used to have an older class-a. Every year there is a parade in my town and when my son was in marching band, we always went. One year, I took the motorhome as I always get there hours early to get a good spot. I had the awning out, the grills going, and tables set up. We had a good time "tailgating" in a parking lot adjacent to the parade route, before the parade even started.

I must have turned away 20 people who asked if they could use my toilet. Some where downright rude. I recall one mother practically demanding that I let her young daughter use my restroom. The most liberating lesson I have learned in my life is to be able to say "no" without having to make excuses or explain yourself. "No" should be sufficient. She actually screamed at me "Well, where is she supposed to go potty at?!?!" She did not react well when I said "That aint my problem, lady..."

The reason I did not let anyone use my toilet was that the nearest place to dump my tanks is about 20 miles away (40 mile round trip) and I did not want to take the time and gas to drive there to dump, nor did I want my tanks sitting there full of strangers urine till the next time I got my unit out near a dump site. I didn't even let my 'crew' use the toilets for that reason.

I don't think it was selfish in the slightest for me to deny the steady stream of people who expected me to be the solution to their lack of planning.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:58 PM   #10
'11 390BH

That is a a good reason and "No" is always a perfectly acceptable answer
Old 04-04-2016, 03:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
I had an issue like that once, and I had to take a hard line and say no to some people.

I used to have an older class-a. Every year there is a parade in my town and when my son was in marching band, we always went. One year, I took the motorhome as I always get there hours early to get a good spot. I had the awning out, the grills going, and tables set up. We had a good time "tailgating" in a parking lot adjacent to the parade route, before the parade even started.

I must have turned away 20 people who asked if they could use my toilet. Some where downright rude. I recall one mother practically demanding that I let her young daughter use my restroom. The most liberating lesson I have learned in my life is to be able to say "no" without having to make excuses or explain yourself. "No" should be sufficient. She actually screamed at me "Well, where is she supposed to go potty at?!?!" She did not react well when I said "That aint my problem, lady..."

The reason I did not let anyone use my toilet was that the nearest place to dump my tanks is about 20 miles away (40 mile round trip) and I did not want to take the time and gas to drive there to dump, nor did I want my tanks sitting there full of strangers urine till the next time I got my unit out near a dump site. I didn't even let my 'crew' use the toilets for that reason.

I don't think it was selfish in the slightest for me to deny the steady stream of people who expected me to be the solution to their lack of planning.

Tim
Tim, the big difference is that people planned to be at the parade and made poor planning decisions. that's one thing and I agree with you

But its another whole situation when something completely unexpected happens like being stuck in traffic jam for 2 hours.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:10 PM   #12

I find this thread quite funny. I’ve read threads about how to change locks on their RV because they’re afraid of break-ins. I’ve read threads about carrying guns for protection in campgrounds. I’ve read threads about not leaving anything outside for fear it will be stolen during your absence or at night. The number of threads about fearing theft or harm on RV forums are numerous. And now I read this thread about allowing a complete stranger on the highway into your RV to use the bathroom and some of you are saying that’s good. This is too funny.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 03:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I find this thread quite funny. I’ve read threads about how to change locks on their RV because they’re afraid of break-ins. I’ve read threads about carrying guns for protection in campgrounds. I’ve read threads about not leaving anything outside for fear it will be stolen during your absence or at night. The number of threads about fearing theft or harm on RV forums are numerous. And now I read this thread about allowing a complete stranger on the highway into your RV to use the bathroom and some of you are saying that’s good. This is too funny.
So if I let someone in my trailer to use the restroom while stuck in a traffic jam, where are they gonna go if they grab my TV? chances are they will get shot in the process anyway. But still, i doubt people drive along hoping to get stuck in traffic jams so they break in to my trailer. Now, i do know that people drive down the street looking for things they can steal. That's the difference to me
Old 04-08-2016, 08:15 AM   #14

It's a good thing to have a bathroom with you in those situations. Last year we were in standstill traffic and I had to go. I just got out of my truck and into the 5th wheel. I got some confused looks when I got out of the truck. Every year one of the kids will need to go and it seems to be when there is nothing close by our convenient to pull into. Pull off on the side of the highway and instant rest area.
OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:14 AM   #15

Yeas ago before we ever owned a RV I was working an event moving semi trailers around & pulled up next to a small Class C to visit with the couple.
Next thing I know the wife is asking me if I would like her to make me a sandwich. Boy did I appreciate that sandwich it was some 25 years ago - thanks for reminding me how great RVer's are.

Number of nights camped in 2012 65
Number of nights camped in 2013 82
Number of nights camped in 2014 105!
Number of nights camped in 2015 81
Emptypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:10 AM   #16
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post

Tim
I do not blame you here.. I'd have to draw the line as well. I think this is a diffrent issue, not the kids stuck in traffic. There I'd have to probably let them do their thing.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 04-08-2016, 11:23 AM   #17

My DW knocked on a tour bus door once when we were stuck in I295 traffic (before RV). They let her on and when she came back she said the people clapped when she came out and left. Have to say I may have a tough time letting a stranger use our facilities but I would also say there may be exceptions.

Marty
2016 Rockwood 2703WS
2011 F150 EB
Martsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:48 AM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

This made me think of a couple weeks ago when we were stuck in beach traffic heading to our campground. I had to GO, so I called to my wife, put it in park and got up. She sat down and asked "What do I do?". Pull forward if you can! She moved about 2 car lengths and I sat back down, relieved! I'm not sure I could have made the next 100 yards to campground.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:32 PM   #19

Its interesting the underlying theme here is the perceived danger FROM a stranger by letting them use the toilet. No one has mentioned the possible danger the girl had to weigh by going into a strange persons vehicle.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 01:08 PM   #20
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
Its interesting the underlying theme here is the perceived danger FROM a stranger by letting them use the toilet. No one has mentioned the possible danger the girl had to weigh by going into a strange persons vehicle.
Well you know it IS a little known fact... Roving bands of TV thiefs lay in wait by traffic jams waiting to pray on a nice, unsuspecting RVer to let them use their bathroom.. Just like the serial killers in their rv's hope for traffic jams to abduct people using their toilet... It is actually a very lucrative business model and tactic that proves very effective... .

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB