View Poll Results: What Cellphone Carrier to have and like the best?
AT&T 19 19.39%
Sprint 3 3.06%
T-Mobile 3 3.06%
Cricket 0 0%
Metro-PC 0 0%
Other 35 35.71%
Verizon 38 38.78%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2016, 12:25 AM   #41

We use T-Mobile and been happy with it, unlimited talk and text plus 10 gig data, 2 phones for 135 a month plus 50 for the phones, so total is 185 and tax. We had upgraded from go phones last year to Samsung note 4. We are never going back to at&t, service is poor and the way they change your rates like its the stock market. I used the most gigs per\month, about 2 gigs, so were still within the basic package. But I have it set to wifi as to minimize the usage. The great thing about this phone and its set up is, while plugged into your laptop, you can use the phone's internet to browse on your laptop.

Days camped in 2015, 0 Days so far (0)
This Space for Rent
Night Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:03 AM   #42

It seems the majority here have Verizon and they seem very happy.
So if I read in general terms $50-$60 is a general price for unlimited data and text plus phone calls.

I'm still on Sprint and the only one in the Poll. LOL
My time is coming up to end my 2 year with Sprint.
The problem I have is our Samsung Galaxy S4 phone are told I can't use on any other carrier. Does this sound true?
I know Sprint has a unique thing that the other carriers don't called SPARK but not sure if that has anything to do with changing carriers.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:15 AM   #43

I've been with Republic Wireless for a couple of years. You have to buy your phone but it pays for itself pretty quickly. I pay $10/mo plus taxes for unlimited cellular text and phone with WiFi data and no roaming fees. They've recently changed their plans but before that I could upgrade to unlimited 4G phone, text and data for $25/mo plus taxes. The nice thing is they let you upgrade or down grade twice within the billing cycle so you only pay for it when you need it. They have gone to graduated block purchase of wireless data so I don't know how that lines up to the old plan price wise as I haven't tried it yet.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:57 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
So if I read in general terms $50-$60 is a general price for unlimited data and text plus phone calls.

The problem I have is our Samsung Galaxy S4 phone are told I can't use on any other carrier. Does this sound true?
I know Sprint has a unique thing that the other carriers don't called SPARK but not sure if that has anything to do with changing carriers.

That is not correct I have a Galaxy 5 and Verizon is my carrier...
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:11 PM   #45

Quote:

Verizon uses a different phone than Sprint. However, they will pay you for your old phone making the transition less costly. I think it was $300 for a working smartphone when we switched. I would recommend talking to the rep in a Verizon store about the current phone transfer schemes . . .

I don't know if they have an unlimited data plan at all. I pay for 12GB a month shared between the lines. Verizon currently has both a 24 month contract and what is basically a month-to-month plan. They change their new user plans occasionally, so like the phone your best bet is to visit a Verizon store.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:25 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
That is not correct I have a Galaxy 5 and Verizon is my carrier...
Each manufacturer makes carrier specific phones including Samsung. If you want to switch carriers, the phone would need to be 'unlocked' from that carrier's software. You would still need to verify with Verizon that a particular unlocked phone could be transferred in.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:28 PM   #47

Even after unlocking the phone might not be usable as some carriers have customized their phones hardware to only work with their network. In other cases you might be able to make phone calls or text but not be able to access data.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:30 PM   #48

Quote:

We've been with Sprint for years but will more than likely change to Verizon at some point in the future. Our needs are more driven by our home internet service. We only have satellite internet available in our area and HughesNet is painfully slow and expensive. We often activate a mobile hotspot with Sprint and find it is faster than HughesNet.

For us at this point, Sprint is cheaper than Verizon. Since we're not able to travel the countryside yet coverage ranks 2nd under cost. Verizon, at least here in Texas, does not offer an unlimited data plan. We visited a Verizon store this weekend to compare plans and were looking at their 12 GB and 18 GB plans. We have 3 iPhone 6's on our plan that can't be used on the Verizon network but they will give a credit for the phones. Verizon will also buy you out of the remaining Sprint contract. Specifics on the credit for the phones was not very clear, I guess it comes as gift card at a later date. Contract buyout comes as a bill credit I believe. What we found is that for 3 phones on the 18 GB plan and a $10 monthly charge for the mobile hot spot (Jet pack) service, it would cost us about $40 per month more compared to Sprint's unlimited data plan with a 6 GB hotspot added per month. From what we were told, Verizon no longer does contracts so you don't get a price break on a new phone when you sign up, you pay for the phone monthly. For a 64 GB iPhone 6s, that monthly rate is about $32. My DW is pushing hard to switch to Verizon and that is a battle I will lose sooner than later but for now I'm sticking with Sprint and saving my $40 a month.

Happy shopping!
Pullrite Superglide 16K Hitch
slide5r4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:30 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_h View Post
Even after unlocking the phone might not be usable as some carriers have customized their phones hardware to only work with their network. In other cases you might be able to make phone calls or text but not be able to access data.

Yes, without getting too technical Verizon uses a transmission method called CDMA and uses different radio frequencies than Sprint. Ask Verizon.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:48 PM   #50

ATT
Tried Verizion and Sprint and do not have coverage at our Michigan summer home, Have had ATT since 1994, we find its been very good, Was just as good across the country as the others, Our friends have verizion and as you will find some have coverage here and some do not, Its about a wash.