View Poll Results: What Cellphone Carrier to have and like the best?
AT&T 19 19.39%
Sprint 3 3.06%
T-Mobile 3 3.06%
Cricket 0 0%
Metro-PC 0 0%
Other 35 35.71%
Verizon 38 38.78%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2016, 05:19 PM   #1
What Cellphone Carrier do you use and like?

What Cellular phone carrier do you like for travels in the USA as well as cost?

I'm looking to change a basic plan with Sprint for my 2 Samsung Galaxy S4 Smartphones.
I am now month to month with only 1 Gig Data per phone and unlimited Text and phone calls and pay $50 a month for each.

Looking to upgrade both phones and service plan that has Unlimited Data, Texting and Talk.

Looking to see what carrier you like and cost and any other reason you like them.

This should produce many comments I'm sure.

2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 49,000 miles
(2013 - 98 days) (2014 - 117 days) (2015 - 67 days) (2016 - 115 days)
USAF Retired - MSgt

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:24 PM   #2
Left Coast
Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Don't see the 'books', but using Verizon, unlimited texts, phone.....but data, mine is 12 g, isn't cheap, Don't think we hit a dead zone going cross country..

Bob/Linda, 99 Dodge 2500 Cummins,2010 8280 Rockwood Ultra-lite 5er, PullRite Superglide----- I'm retired......but work part time as a pain in the ass!........... USMC.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:24 PM   #3
Other: Verizon... best coverage.
Brian - Stacy - Liam Camp Dogs: Pepper & Bentley
Nights Camped: 2015 - 34 2016 - 7

"I need a time out, send me to the mountains and don't let me out until my attitude changes!"
BKBuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:29 PM   #4
(Dry Huunday)
Ditto on Verizon. Superb reception but pricey

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:31 PM   #5
I have Verizon with 10GB which is great but pricy. (My company pays for it, though)

I set my DW up with Straight Talk for her OnePlus One smart phone that she owns.

$45 a month on the AT&T network for unlimited talk and text with 5GB of 4G LTE data per month. The phone has a hotspot built in and no matter where we are, one of our services work.

Straight Talk also has a Verizon network option, so you can have one phone on each network. A real life saver when on the road.
2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped
TOAD: 2014 Fiat 500 Abarth

(Sold the Vibe 6506)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:36 PM   #6
I have AT&T for 2 iPhones and a mobile hotspot on a unlimited talk & text and a 15gb shared data plan. Pro for AT&T is that they rollover unused data to the next month (you can't accumulate multiple months worth, but sometimes that 1 month is sufficient). Generally speaking, it has treated me pretty well. I've hit a few dead zones- mostly Colorado Springs and to the west of there. A serious pro to AT&T and iPhones (I think Verizon may be doing it now, too) is WiFi calling; if you don't have cell service but do have wifi, it'll magically use the wifi data for cellular service. With needing to attend at least an hour of conference calls a day, this can be a saver for me.

I also have an unlimited Verizon data plan with a mobile hotspot. I have gone through a couple of variations (the now defunct OmniLynx, leasing a line, and finally buying my own). My costs have ranged from $50/month for OmniLynx to $140 for the leased line to what I expect will be $80 for my own line. The same places that I was in dead zones with AT&T, I was dead with Verizon with 1 exception where the booster helped AT&T voice but not Verizon data.

I have speed tested my Verizon data plan on a regular basis. I don't usually speed test my AT&T. It could be a fluke here (Las Cruces, NM), but AT&T was 4-6 times faster than Verizon.

I will possibly pickup a T-Mobile or Sprint "pay as you go" type of unlimited plan in the future. I have read reports that in highly congested areas (such as snowbird infested Florida), the cell towers can be overwhelmed. In these cases, the lesser used carriers can really shine because they have less load and therefore potentially higher speed of service. Their downfall is their coverage maps. I wouldn't pick either as my primary source of Internet, but have no qualms as using them for the backup.
2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:51 PM   #7
Verizon for us works better than others we live in a dead zone and works best for us in SW Virginia (Many dead zones around here) and Myrtle Beach have tried some of the others but Verizon has worked best.......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:14 PM   #8
Google Fi

Google Fi is another option.

I haven't used it personally, but if you read the fine print it isn't a bad deal. Besides not being the top carriers (Spring & T-Mobile) you have to pay for a specific phone, but you can pay over time.

The points that I find of particular interest are:

1) Trusted Wi-Fi - The phone will automatically connected via VPN to trusted wi-fi networks that are in range. This allows you to make calls over wi-fi and use data that doesn't count against your data plan.

2) Flat rate billing. $20 for unlimited calling and text. $10 per gig of data.

3) Only pay for what you use. If you pay for one gig of data ($10) and you only uses 500 mB, or half, then you will get a $5 bill credit for the next bill.
Kf4mnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:34 PM   #9
Sorry I left our Verizon. I knew one was missing.
Seems you all like Verizon and that helps a bunch.
Sorry I can't add it to the pole but we will use Other as Verizon now.
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 49,000 miles
(2013 - 98 days) (2014 - 117 days) (2015 - 67 days) (2016 - 115 days)
USAF Retired - MSgt

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:42 PM   #10
I voted other for Rogers... We have Bell, Rogers, Telus, Mobility (Sasktel, TBay Tel, MTS), Wind and Fido.

B and B
2013 Rockwood 8289 Diamond Edition
GY D's/2.5 inch lift kit/Powerhouse 4 KW EFI Generator
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote