Old 03-04-2014, 12:16 PM   #91
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
Ummm well....

"I'm from the (Federal) Government and I'm here to help."

Paraphrasing President Reagan.

President Ronald Reagan called the phrase “the nine most terrifying words in the English language” in 1986.

I guess it depends on the individual Fed and the particular agency he/she works for,but I have always felt that the FAA and especially the FAA division I worked in as an inspector ( Flight Standards) really performs a valuable service to the American flying public. Flight Standards is the FAA division whose inspectors are those people who you might see inspecting aircraft,mechanics,giving check rides to pilots,performing en-route inspections sitting in the aircraft flight deck jump seat,etc.and many behind the scences activities that you never see. This goes to making and keeping the American aviation industry one of the safest in the world and copied by many other countries.

Yeah I have used the " I'm from the government and I'm here to help you" line before,but only as a light hearted way to perhaps break the ice when dealing with some individuals who might be a little nervous dealing with a FAA inspector for the first time. Sometimes it helped and sometimes it didn't.

So I guess my point is that not all government agencies are bad IMO.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:25 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
I guess it depends on the individual Fed and the particular agency he/she works for,but I have always felt that the FAA and especially the FAA division I worked in as an inspector ( Flight Standards) really performs a valuable service to the American flying public. Flight Standards is the FAA division whose inspectors are those people who you might see inspecting aircraft,mechanics,giving check rides to pilots,performing en-route inspections sitting in the aircraft flight deck jump seat,etc.and many behind the scences activities that you never see. This goes to making and keeping the American aviation industry one of the safest in the world and copied by many other countries.

Yeah I have used the " I'm from the government and I'm here to help you" line before,but only as a light hearted way to perhaps break the ice when dealing with some individuals who might be a little nervous dealing with a FAA inspector for the first time. Sometimes it helped and sometimes it didn't.

So I guess my point is that not all government agencies are bad IMO.

I have had the pleasure of meeting several FAA inspectors and they are here to help. Thanks for all you do.
I am a early retiree and still trying to get used to it. Good days and bad we enjoy our Berkshire and each other's company.
Oh I retired after 30+ years in the food service industry as a restaurant manager and a salesperson with a large independent food service company.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:39 PM   #93
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I have had the pleasure of meeting several FAA inspectors and they are here to help. Thanks for all you do.
I am a early retiree and still trying to get used to it. Good days and bad we enjoy our Berkshire and each other's company.
Oh I retired after 30+ years in the food service industry as a restaurant manager and a salesperson with a large independent food service company.
Thanks Phil for the kind words. Glad to hear your experiences with meeting FAA inspectors were good ones. It's drilled into our heads at the FAA Academy during indoctrination that we should strive for "voluntary compliance" with the regulations before reaching for our guns.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:17 PM   #94

A very interesting read for sure. Me a retired aircraft mechanic (AME) Licensed on many types of commercial aircraft, 36 years in aviation, with last 30 with our country's major airline (AC). retired at 58 never looked back, well sometimes I miss not being there! I don't miss the shift work, the stress as a lead line mech, and company politics. Wife retired as a nurse (LPN) after 25 years at a former veteran's hospital.

Now we need to work on our health (3 days a week at the gym) so that we may enjoy camping/traveling life more with the new trailer we bought in the fall of 2012. The company pension and SS just keep coming, life is good. Next
Old 03-04-2014, 01:29 PM   #95
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
A very interesting read for sure. Me a retired aircraft mechanic (AME) Licensed on many types of commercial aircraft, 36 years in aviation, with last 30 with our country's major airline (AC). retired at 58 never looked back, well sometimes I miss not being there! I don't miss the shift work, the stress as a lead line mech, and company politics. Wife retired as a nurse (LPN) after 25 years at a former veteran's hospital.

Now we need to work on our health (3 days a week at the gym) so that we may enjoy camping/traveling life more with the new trailer we bought in the fall of 2012. The company pension and SS just keep coming, life is good. Next
"AME"? Guessing Aircraft Mechanic X? Always enjoyed working with our Canadian counterparts. I believe your system of restricting mechanics privileges/ratings to certain classes of aircraft is better than ours where any A&P can work on any aircraft providing he/she meets the previous experience requirement.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:40 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
"AME"? Guessing Aircraft Mechanic X? Always enjoyed working with our Canadian counterparts. I believe your system of restricting mechanics privileges/ratings to certain classes of aircraft is better than ours where any A&P can work on any aircraft providing he/she meets the previous experience requirement.
AME kind of a misnomer to some I guess, Aircraft Maintenance Engineer.
Since aviation is global it would be nice if we could take all the best practices of every nation and combine it into 1 standard, but being somewhat biased I believe the USA and Canada have the highest standards. Although it is personal knowledge, passion and committment to the job that truly make the skies safe.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:49 PM   #97
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiecamper View Post
AME kind of a misnomer to some I guess, Aircraft Maintenance Engineer.
Since aviation is global it would be nice if we could take all the best practices of every nation and combine it into 1 standard, but being somewhat biased I believe the USA and Canada have the highest standards. Although it is personal knowledge, passion and committment to the job that truly make the skies safe.
I can't argue with that.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:31 PM   #98

I retired after 20 in the Air Force. I currently work in a small rural hospital in the radiology department doing a wide variety of things. Mainly Nuclear Medicine, MRI, Cat Scan, PAC's, and diagnostic radiology.

DW is the Education Coordinator for the regional Headstart.

2002 GMC Sierra C2500 HD 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2013 Sabre Silhouette 291BHTS
Pat, Michele and 2 old dogs, Shug & Sissy
rowdydog77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:07 PM   #99

I am a retired deputy sheriff, had to go out on disability, but got in enough time to get full retirement. DH is a retired school teacher and administrator who had a construction company on the side.

We still have young children, but we have a great time and get lots and lots of time in our RV. We camp host 3 months in the summer at a Va state park and a Md state park.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:19 PM   #100
Mod free 5er

Retired 2006- design engineer for 24 yrs, manufacturing engr 5 yrs and quality engineer the last 10 yrs. TOWTA didn't retire, she just quit working in 2000 and traveled with me quite a bit of the times. She worked from 1960 until 2000 at numerous jobs, secretary-Moline & Hinsdale, IL, financial aid advisor in a jr. college-Trenton, MO and librarian in Carlisle, AR.

Tags
camping