Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2014, 05:08 PM   #101
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
I guess it depends on the individual Fed and the particular agency he/she works for,but I have always felt that the FAA and especially the FAA division I worked in as an inspector ( Flight Standards) really performs a valuable service to the American flying public. Flight Standards is the FAA division whose inspectors are those people who you might see inspecting aircraft,mechanics,giving check rides to pilots,performing en-route inspections sitting in the aircraft flight deck jump seat,etc.and many behind the scences activities that you never see. This goes to making and keeping the American aviation industry one of the safest in the world and copied by many other countries.

Yeah I have used the " I'm from the government and I'm here to help you" line before,but only as a light hearted way to perhaps break the ice when dealing with some individuals who might be a little nervous dealing with a FAA inspector for the first time. Sometimes it helped and sometimes it didn't.

So I guess my point is that not all government agencies are bad IMO.
I never intended my post in a negative way B47. That's why I put the grin at the end of it. I used it in a "wink wink" sort of way.

I too perform a valuable and much needed service.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:38 PM   #102

Been a flooring installer over 20 years now.Wife has been in food ingredients for over 20 years aswell
Old 03-04-2014, 05:45 PM   #103
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
I never intended my post in a negative way B47. That's why I put the grin at the end of it. I used it in a "wink wink" sort of way.

I too perform a valuable and much needed service.
Check your PM box soon.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:06 PM   #104
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Retired after 36 years in route sales for major snack food company. I now work part time driving school bus 20 hrs/wk and every other weekend driving shuttle bus at a local ski resort. I have holidays, spring break, snow days and summers off. This doesn't feel like work, but I still get paid for it.
Dw still has a year to go till retirement as an EMT.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 07:22 PM   #105
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
Retired after 36 years in route sales for major snack food company. I now work part time driving school bus 20 hrs/wk and every other weekend driving shuttle bus at a local ski resort. I have holidays, spring break, snow days and summers off. This doesn't feel like work, but I still get paid for it.
Dw still has a year to go till retirement as an EMT.
I think we have paid into your retirement plan - Frito-Lay are about the only chips/dips we buy.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:07 PM   #106
NELA

Quote:
Check your PM box soon.

Did, and responded...

TAG... YER IT!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:32 PM   #107
RKR

I work in the oilfield to get that stuff out of the ground that keeps everybody able to get down the road.
My wife and I also own a software and website design company that she runs. The last of 3 kiddos graduated from college last May and is currently in the process to be a fireman. It's our time to roam around and "glamp" in comfort.
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:35 PM   #108
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKR View Post
I work in the oilfield to get that stuff out of the ground that keeps everybody able to get down the road.
My wife and I also own a software and website design company that she runs. The last of 3 kiddos graduated from college last May and is currently in the process to be a fireman. It's our time to roam around and "glamp" in comfort.
I see you call Laredo home - is there oil there or do you commute to Midland/Odessa for work?
Old 03-04-2014, 08:41 PM   #109

pre retired

we have worked hard all of our lives and made good decisions with our money investments so now we are pre-retired enjoying every month we can... oh by the way we are new to this forum, this is my first post looking to go from motor home 30' to 5r 40 vengeance in the next two weeks
rick11flor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:48 PM   #110
RKR

Quote:
I see you call Laredo home - is there oil there or do you commute to Midland/Odessa for work?

No commute for me. I've been down here for 15 years mostly gas drilling but the Eagle Ford shale took off in 2009 so now it's pretty much all oil drilling. We have crews in the Permian though.
We're in the process though of moving to San Antonio. The company I work for wants me to move there and be a manager at the new yard.They gave me a complete move package so what the heck. It just screws up our spring travel plans though.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:56 PM   #111
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSMRetired View Post
+ 1

+2
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:00 PM   #112
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKR View Post
No commute for me. I've been down here for 15 years mostly gas drilling but the Eagle Ford shale took off in 2009 so now it's pretty much all oil drilling. We have crews in the Permian though.
We're in the process though of moving to San Antonio. The company I work for wants me to move there and be a manager at the new yard.They gave me a complete move package so what the heck. It just screws up our spring travel plans though.
Good luck to you in your new location and job.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:05 PM   #113
RKR

Quote:
Good luck to you in your new location and job.

Thanks bud. 👍
Old 03-04-2014, 09:19 PM   #114
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
I think we have paid into your retirement plan - Frito-Lay are about the only chips/dips we buy.
I'm close to the last retires to get a pension and insurance. New hires get saving programs for their retirement if they want to save for it.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:21 PM   #115
Jack of All Trades

Jack of All Trades, Master of None!

I have a degree in Pulp and Paper Engineering , and have been with the same company for 38 years - through 5 name changes due to mergers and buy-outs - that is a major equipment supplier to the Pulp and Paper Industry.

I started as a Technical Service Engineer, and have held positions of Sales Engineer, Product Manager, Project Engineer, Senior Project Manager (Major Projects), Manager of Projects, and Senior Process Engineer.

Currently I am the Facilities Manager of our Pilot Plant and R&D Laboratory where we conduct in-house and client trials/studies in various pulping process and equipment trains on softwoods and hardwoods, and other fiberous materials such as bagasse, kenaf, reeds, etc. from around the world. We are also doing a considerable amount of work on BioFuels.

In this position, I do everything from changing light bulbs, process control programming and troubleshooting, mechanical, electrical, and piping repairs, to designing, installing and commissioning equipment. I also handle IT for our location.

Thus - Jack of All Trades, Master of None.

Oh yea, I have at least 5 years until I'm free (retirement)!

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:33 PM   #116
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
I'm close to the last retires to get a pension and insurance. New hires get saving programs for their retirement if they want to save for it.
That's the way it's going today regarding defined pensions. The age of the traditional pension is soon to be a thing of the past.

Even in the Federal government which was long thought to offer a great pension has changed. For the longest time, federal employees were under what was called the Civil Service Retirement System in which we paid 7% of our salary into instead of paying Social Security taxes. That has now changed into the Federal Employee Retirement System into which Feds now pay SS plus are expected to contribute to the Thrift Savings Plan and manage their own plan.

The two plans are vastly different and the vast majority of Feds under FERS wish they were under the Civil Service Retirement System. I was offered the option to go into the FERS and am glad I didn't.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:58 PM   #117

Wife was a municipal court administrator supervisor and retired in December 2013 and I work for a city electric municipality as a line foreman
cvsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:11 PM   #118

Send a message via AIM to King Yankee Send a message via Yahoo to King Yankee
Retired from 28.5 yrs in aerospace bearing plant and last year sold our restaurant after 13 years. Was working part-time for local car dealership covering northeast picking up and/or delivering new cars and pickups. Weekends are for family time and winters are for DW and myself in Florida. Life is not bad.

Lexington GTS 300 S/S
Chevy Avalanche
Jeep Wrangler
Honda Goldwing
King Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:20 PM   #119
Phat Phrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSMRetired View Post
Every day is Saturday.....reitred, DW retires in 4 1/2 weeks....more Saturdays

*note - We use Passport America as much as possible

Like you, CSMRetired, every night is Friday night and every day is Saturday! I cant believe i have been retired for two years on march 9. DH just retired in January! We both retired from AT&T!
Congrats to your DW! She must be thrilled to know she is almost done!!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:26 PM   #120
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVChick View Post
...I cant believe i have been retired for two years on march 9...
But you were only 39 when you retired!

Tags
camping