Old 04-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
What do YOU cook when camping?

Being that everyone is different I thought I would ask the question. DW and I are comfortable with having a more effort meal- shrimp pasta, pulled pork sandwiches, salmon, etc. it is our vacation and we will enjoy it! My mother came with us for a week and was stunned that we didn't cook Mac and cheese & hot dogs, or the "basics" as she said.

Aside of s'mores for the kids or young at heart, what meal/meals do you plan?

2014 Stealth Evo 2850- "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7- "Clifford"
2013 Honda Accord Coupe V6 w/Track Pack- "Julia"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
Site Team
dinners- steak and potatoes, ribs and corn (on the grill), grilled cheese, hamburgers, hot dogs, pulled pork or beef brisket,

lunches- pb, and j, or deli sandwiches

breakfast- cereal most morning but one day will be reserved for eggs, pancakes, Belgian waffles or French toast and of coarse bacon

<a href= target=_blank></a>
2014 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 3500 4wd Duramax/Allison
2014 Sabre 34REQS-6
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
One Happy Camper!
Im not sure why, but chili cheese dogs have become a camping tradition for us. I can't remember a camping trip where we haven't made them.

2013 Palomino SolAire 317 BHSK
Nights Camped YTD: 39

TV: 13 F-150 Screw EB Max Tow, ProPride Hitch
1995 Jayco Eagle 304 BH sold- March 2013
1978 Nomad 18 sold- April 2005
SPPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
We usually always pull in on a Friday evening so we usually just get a fire going and have brats and hot dogs and DW likes to make English muffin pizzas. Then on Saturday night we usually have a bigger dinner steak and potatoes corn on the cob. Something like that. Breakfast usually simple like cereal or something in the micro wave some times we will plan a bigger breakfast. And same with lunches just a sandwhich and snacks. And we have been really getting into Dutch oven cooking with breakfast, dinners and some great deserts. So we have al kinda if options when we go just have to decide before we go shopping.
2012 Sandstorm 203slc
2013 Toyota Tundra
Eqil-l-izer hitch,Prodigy P3
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
Pretty much whatever we cook in the S&B. Our rig has an oven, so we can bake bread, like we do at home (DW puts the bread machine in when we leave). We've found quite a lot of things at Safeway that are bakeable - shepherd's pie, lasagne, orange chicken, etc. They're all in the "Safeway Select" offerings in the family meals section of the stores' freezers.

We have a Weber Q220 for doing barbecue things and it works very well. I got a 10-lb propane tank that has the same base diameter as the 20-pounders and a base stabiliser ring from Camping World. I bolted the stabiliser ring to the floor of a storage bay and the tank fits very snugly. The only snag with the Q220 is that, with the lid on the base, it's about 3/4" too tall for the cargo bay, so I have to remove the lid and store it elsewhere. Otherwise, were very pleased with the Weber.

We cook the same things in the microwave that we do at home also. The RV micro isn't as powerful as our home unit (800W vs. 1400W) but it means just a couple more minutes on most things.

Note that it's just me and DW, since we're retirees with grown kids (even most of our grandkids are late teens! The oldest one is graduating the University of Washington this week with a Bachelor's in microbiology!) If there was a horde of little ones, it would be a different deal altogether.
Frank and Eileen
No longer RVers or FR owners
F and E Damp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:38 PM   #6
MI Camperz
Mostly outdoors and mostly summer things on the grill....Corn on the cob from a particular farmer known in our area for really sweet, tender corn...
it's a brand name in our area. Never had any better anywhere.
MI Camperz
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:46 PM   #7
Headed for the Western Nationals Hot Rod show in Bakersfield,CA on Wed. Thursday is a turkey breast in the crockpot with mashed potatoes and gravy (plenty for sandwiches later). Hamburgers and another night steak, shrimp and baked potatoes on the bar-b. Breakfast is breakfast burritos, french toast and they feed us one morning. We usually eat like we were at home but try to do more advanced prep. Wife will freeze lasagne or enchiladas on most trips that are a week long. Can't wait!
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:25 AM   #8
Whatever we can cook over a fire.....favorites are ribs or lamb kabobs. Many times for lunch we make pizzas in cast iron skillets and cook them over the fire. We eat better camping than we do at home because we have the time to cook!
TV: 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Big Horn CTD
RV: 2013 Palomino Sabre 34TBOK
Scott1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:31 AM   #9
What do you cook while camping?

My husband will cook anything and try anything. We also have a Weberq220. Last year, he made sticking buns (home made) on it and it was good. We have a trailer with a stove and oven but always cook outside. The long weekend we will try to cook an upside down cake on the fire to see if it will work. Can't wait beacause camping season is just around the corner(on the other side of snow. Haha)
Wildcat661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #10
If we are on a 3 to 4 day camping , usually spaghetti and the rest eat out because we spend little time in the campground

2012 Wildcat 344QB

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote