Old 09-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #211
My Mother used to call me a jack of all trades and master of non lol. I have a resume a mile long but worked for G.M. 3 years before being laid off for 15. In those 15 I worked for many different employers running heavy equipment, self employed installing windows roofing and siding, highway construction, pattern shops and building wood cabinets for a van conversion company. While doing highway construction I was hit by a 17 year old kid and had both knees totaled out and my scull broke open. After 15 years G.M. called me back to work saying they screwed up and 15 guys should have been called back long ago. So they gave us our lost seniority back and and sent to Ohio. Then we became G.M. gypsies moving to several plants. We ended up back here where We started in Saginaw, Mi. and retired in 2001 because of the injuries sustained in the highway accident. Now I consider my job fishing and hunting when able. Also I play in my basement woodshop when able. The last 3 years I had 18 surgeries on my right knee and 3 knee replacement because of infections. This year We bought our new Cedar Creek and 4 days later I was in the hospital with another infection luckily this time it wasn't in the knee but in the muscle. So after 6 weeks of I.V. antibiotics and the hospital screwing up my discharge orders We have to close our trailer a month early this year so i can have skin grafts on the knee.

brokenaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #212
Wow, brokenaxle, that is a litany of pain & suffering... coming from the other side of things, I hope you received the best care possible during your health crises.
My wife and I both work in health care, she right from high school and I by a more circuitous route. We both now work at a University teaching hospital, DW is an RN charge nurse in the ER while I am an RN in the OR, clinical leader for Plastics, ENT, and Dental services. A compulsive young lad, I quit school as soon as I turned 16. Married my DW at 19, don't regret a moment of that... I worked in a factory making dynamite for CIL and Dupont after doing stints at pumping gas, being a surveyor's assitant (best part of that job was surveying a township boundary... lots of history there... anyone ever seen what's under some of those blaze marks on the trees? Names, dates, initials of people who were there a hundred years before!
Anyway, got laid off from the factory (permanently), went back to school, DW held down the fort, working full time and caring for our 3 children. (Visa loved us then!) I was a weekend Dad, school being 3 hours away. It all worked out in the end. She's still the one, we have a new trailer and retirement is 4-6 years away! We still love our jobs and will work post-retirement to keep our hands in and earn some mad money...
Norm & Di

2016 Silverado 5.3L Z71 with tow package
2012 Rockwood Mini Lite 1905
Distribution Hitch: Trunnion
Nammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:21 PM   #213
Do you kill deer, moose, birds, etc

Originally Posted by Rod Johnson View Post
I'm a trained, licensed, professional killer.
JohnBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #214
I am a child abuse attorney, but am soooo looking forward to retiring from that in just 10 more years . In the meantime, I am going to enjoy planning and having some awesome adventures in my new to me motorhome!
Cyn61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:14 PM   #215
Drinkin beer on the beach
Originally Posted by JohnBlair View Post
Birds, yes.
Deer, not yet.
Moose, never tried.

I go after the much smaller mammals, mostly rats and mice. And no, I've never eaten one.
2014 Silverado 2500 6.6L TD and 4X4
2011 Carson Standard Duty Car Hauler
2012 Forest River Stealth SK2112
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #216
Wow just read through all of these, a lot of interesting jobs I must say.
Me I have been working for a major tire company manufacturing tires which has given me the opportunity to travel a tiny bit.
DW works in retail sales.
I have 15 months left before I am eligible to retire....will I, who knows maybe
DW has no eligible date as some one has to work to pay for camping.
2014 Rockwood 2604 WS
Chev 4x4 2500 HD v8
tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #217
brokenaxle.....the way i read your seemed like it cut off at the end and you were looking for help having to close up your camper a week earlier because of your health issues. Maybe I am mistaken....but if not....and you still live in the Saginaw area and ever need anything at all as far as your RV is concerned....let me know. I live in northen lower michigan and come thru Saginaw quite frequently. I usually have my 16 year old son and 1 or 2 of his chronies with us....and are always eager to help people out when needed. Teaches the teenagers good ethics.....and you never know when it might come back around when I might need the help someday.
GreyWolfGig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #218
retired in Nov '99.

spent 9 years in the Army, 5 of which were as an Aviator flying OV-1 Mohawks, 2 of those years were in viet nam, flying missions over laos and N. viet nam (Army wanted me to transition to choppers then return to viet nam for a 3rd tour - told 'em to take their 9 years and, well, you know..)

the next 31 years were with Continental Airlines as a Pilot. Based in Los Angeles, Honolulu and Houston

Wife is a flight attendant for Continental (can't bring myself to saying "united airlines") - she has been a F/A for 25 years and is based in Houston - flying international flights - Tokyo, Amsterdam, London, Frankfurt, Ireland, Paris.....Bill
Whisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #219
Having been HR manager and IT vice president in military aerospace industry for 30+ years i was implementation and rollout manager of a very large II project for re-inurance for the world's largest reinsurance company in Munich, GE and Princeton, NJ. Due to that assignment I traveled almost every week fron Munich or Newark to Amsterdam for 8 years or so.
The Continental staff named me Flying Dutchman as I was the most frequent flyer on route Newark, NJ to Amsterdam with over 2 mio miles flown.
Now I am retired and enjoying the more quiet site of life.
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #220
Originally Posted by Flying dutchman View Post
..with over 2 mio miles flown..
ah so, but I'd betcha I've got more.....Bill

(let's see..31 years @ roughly 800 hours per year @ 60 minutes per hour @ 8 miles per minute - yikes - my wings are tired !)

Whisky is offline   Reply With Quote