Old 04-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #51
DDC

I am retired now ,I worked as a heavy equipment mechanic in Scotland from 1966 till 1977 then came to Canada and worked on european cars till 1989, moved into building light armoured vehicles and locomotives, worked there till 2011 when Caterpillar destroyed it, but I got out alive any way.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #52

Me - Construction Inspection/Management, mostly offshore. I have attached the view from my office...

DW - works for Department Of Justice.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00075.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	12953  

2012 Stealth RG3210
2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Laramie 4x4
2010 Ford F150 Super Crew Lariat 4x4

b1b1das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #53
Wanderluster

If you know your parties extension...

I'm a retired tellco guy. I started installing phones in houses, and ended up in Bell Labs working on the first automated attendant/voice mail system ever built called The Audio Information Exchange or AUDIX for short.

The AUDIX L was a beast. Each of the 6 required 20 meg disk drives weighed in at 120lbs each. It used a propriatary software language and was remarkably reliable, and could support up to 2000 extensions.

The next time you get caught in an automated attendant loop, just keep old AT&T and AUDIX in mind. After all, they invented that loop.

Now-a-days I run a (surprise!) RV camping web site.

Brian & Margie
www.rv-camping.org
OffPavement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #54
Drinkin beer on the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Really? I want to talk to you about an ant problem I am having...
Looking for a good exterminator.
Lol, you got me.

Fipronil.

Wait, what kind of ants? You probably don't get the Argentine ants like we do.
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #55
Drinkin beer on the beach

How many of you retired guys are really retired?

Seems a lot of you people can't leave well enough alone. Does it just get boring at home everyday? Or do you set aside a fixed amount of money and then decide maybe you want a new truck, so you do something to put a little money together?

I'm 34 right now. I have a plan, that should come to fruition in 13 years. I keep telling myself 50 is still young... Can I keep chasing skirts?

I have this mentality, that you go to work everyday. More work means more money. And it has worked well for me. After quitting college, I didn't work less than 60 hours a week for a long time. In fact, from about 2000 to Jan 2007, I worked two full time jobs, and for most of that time, I had a third part time job.

I've promised myself that the next part of my life will either be a government job with another great pension plan, or doing something for myself. I can't retire at 48, but I can certainly do something for me.

At this house, I have a lot of room. I've been planting and cultivating Avacodo trees. I'm also thinking about getting into King Palms. The full grown ones are very expensive.

But, I'd also like to get back to my roots. I had a wonderful job at Chuck E Cheese's, Technical Manager and Electronic Technician for 11 years. Repairing and maintaining the games, rides, animated show, and kitchen and resturant equipment.
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #56

Just retired from flying an EMS helicopter for the last 26 years for a hospital. Total of 42 years flying helicopters all around the world.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #57

I,am retired after working 40 years for Siemens Building Technoliges 25 years as a pipefitter and 15 years as a system specialst. I stayed off 1 year and now work for them as a consultent. Got bored so went back part time 3 days a week and able to take time off when needed. It is a good gig.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Johnson
How many of you retired guys are really retired?

Seems a lot of you people can't leave well enough alone. Does it just get boring at home everyday? Or do you set aside a fixed amount of money and then decide maybe you want a new truck, so you do something to put a little money together?.
In my case my rental income was enough to pay the bills, but not enough to play or pay for my toys. I also have two teenagers and a 9 year old so I figured Id better take out some insurance in case my tenant went out of business and left me high and dry. so I went back to school.

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:13 PM   #59

I an the building and grounds manager for a small school district. Previously done Construction and running jobs add a project supt. DW teaches at the school I manage. The best part is we,(dw, ne, and two dd's) cab all ride the bus together every morning.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #60

Interesting thread, lots of talent here.

I'm a retired HVAC engineer, specialized in balancing air & water systems, & dealt with industrial sized centrifugal, screw, & steam absorption chillers. Got my private pilot license & had a little C150 for 12 years. DW doesn't like to fly so I sold it. Still have dreams of building an RV-9.

DW is a retired elementary teacher. Now we have plenty of time for important things, like CAMPING.

2011 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104
2011 Silverado 5.3 ~ 4X4

Great Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote