Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: what brand of antigel and inj. lube do u use ?
howes 3 9.68%
power service 18 58.06%
red line 1 3.23%
sea foam 1 3.23%
us lube 0 0%
amsoil 1 3.23%
gunk 0 0%
champion brands 0 0%
other 7 22.58%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #21
Site Team - Lou

The study that I can access shows that some nationally recognized additives actually make the untreated diesel fuel MORE corrosive to fuel injectors after they are added.

If you say the first study (the one I can not access) says they improve gas mileage, I would love to know what test conditions they used. Similar to the controls used in the blind test in the second one.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #22

Here is the test variables. I hope it shows up ok.

Test Vehicle
Year/Make/Model: 1997 Ford F-350 4x4 Crew Cab
Engine: 7.3L Power Stroke
Transmission: E4OD Automatic
Axle Ratio: 4.10
Tire Size: 285/75R16
Modifications: Upgraded fuel injectors from Full Force Diesel, TS Performance six-position chip with daily driver setting from Bean's Diesel Performance, free-flowing K&N air intake and MBRP 4-inch exhaust, and upgraded transmission from North American Diesel Performance
Test Variables
• Each additive was mixed at the manufacturers' recommended ratio and poured in the empty tank first, before filling up with fuel. (Opti-Lube XPD = 256:1, FPPF = 256:1, the two-stroke, which had no recommendation, was run in a 200:1 mixture).
• The same three filling stations were used throughout testing, and the truck was topped off at the same level each time.
• Real-world driving scenarios: stop-and-go city traffic, interstate commuting (65 to 70 mph, cruise control), and minimal off-road use. Note: Hauling and towing instances were purposely excluded from the test results.
• Eleven thousand miles were driven during testing: first with no product, then with two-stroke oil, Opti-Lube, and FPPF.
• Weather did not play as big a role as one might think. With one of the mildest climates in the country, Southern California allowed us to conduct the test in a virtually uncorrupted manner (no freezing temperatures or extreme heat conditions were faced).
• Heat and air conditioning were rarely needed (no unnecessary drag was placed on the engine).
• Regular maintenance was performed on the truck. And because we were dealing with HEUI, we made sure our oil was changed every 4,000 miles for the cleanest oil possible actuating our injectors (we ran Shell's Rotella T Heavy-Duty 15W-40 engine oil). We also inspected and then replaced the fuel filter before switching to the next additive (no fueling or performance modifications were made to the truck once the testing began).
NO ADDITIVE
Highway Average 14.6 mpg
City Average 13.7 mpg
Overall Average 14.1 mpg
TWO-STROKE PRE-MIX
Best Highway (one tank) 16.3 mpg
Best City (one tank) 14.9 mpg
Highway Average 15.6 mpg
City Average 14.6 mpg
OPTI-LUBE XPD
Best Highway (one tank) 17.4 mpg
Best City (one tank) 15.7 mpg
Highway Average 16.1 mpg
City Average 14.4 mpg
FPPF 8+ CETANE IMPROVER
Best Highway (one tank) 17.3 mpg
Best City (one tank) 15.0 mpg
Highway Average 16.1 mpg
City Average 14.9 mpg

Read more: Fuel Additive Test - Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel - Diesel Power Magazine
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #23
Site Team - Lou

Were they the best numbers by additive or just a random sample?

The Opti-Lube XPD seems to have the best performance in both tests.

It was the number two in the lubricity test and a 9% improvement on disconnected highway mileage has a lot going for it.

No towing tests were done to see about engine power effects.

Now to find out if that additive is approved by GMC for their Duramax.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #24

They list best highway and best city, also averages for both.

Opti-lube did well in both tests, but it is the most expensive.

Not sure about GM, but Ford has their own version of diesel additive. I think I'm going to try it when my Diesel Kleen runs out.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #25
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
Stanadyne...all season performance line

When i did my research on fuel additives, this brand was approved for use by GM and the price per bottle was reasonable compared to other brands...I dump a 8oz bottle at every tank refill.
I'm happy with the product and my truck is too
From what I researched, any diesel older than 2007 models are the targeted users to use fuel additives due to manufactures preparing for the diesel fuel chemical changes after 2006...I have a 2005 DM, so I use religiously and it's approved by GM as stated above.
IMO, anyone with a 2007 or newer diesel probably doesn't have to be as concerned BUT it would only be beneficial to help keep injectors clean, cetane rates higher and water removal from fuel besides the other positive aspects of using fuel additives.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:10 PM   #26
Oklahoma Proud

I think the thread asked what kind, not do you.
Anyhow on my semi it would run like crap after fueling up, I would add some additive in both tanks and in about 5min it would clear up. I don't really care who says what I'm going to keep using it.

Ps my buddy has a fleet of about 25 macks and he said they go through injectors like crazy from the low sulfer diesel.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #27
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
From what I researched, any diesel older than 2007 models are the targeted users to use fuel additives due to manufactures preparing for the diesel fuel chemical changes after 2006...I have a 2005 DM, so I use religiously and it's approved by GM as stated above.
IMO, anyone with a 2007 or newer diesel probably doesn't have to be as concerned BUT it would only be beneficial to help keep injectors clean, cetane rates higher and water removal from fuel besides the other positive aspects of using fuel additives.
Performance Formula - Stanadyne check it out.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #28
Trailer Trash

Ford dealer were I live swears by Shaffer products - he sells to commercial guys that buy 25-50 F350's at a time. These trucks magically do not come in for fuel or injector issues. Schaeffer Oil | Diesel Fuel Additives, Stabalizers, Conditioners, Treatments

For sticky injectors on Ford's 6.0 diesel, I use this. Hot Shot's Secret
No problems since I used it. Before that, 5 out of 8 injectors got replaced under warranty this year. International worked to develop this product and it was lowering their warranty claims by Ford. Too little too late by then for the 6.0L

Lucas products I use also. Purchase it by the gallon at truck stops for semis is the value way to go.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:27 AM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Any vehicle that runs on low sulfur diesel should be using a fuel lube imo.
1900-2012 specifically pre 2007
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #30
Site Team - Lou

OK, I will try an additive this year. Still trying to decide which one.

Lots to think about here. Stanadyne or Opti-Lube XPD seem good choices; though leaning toward Opti-lube at the moment.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #31
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

Lots to think about here. Stanadyne or Opti-Lube XPD seem good choices; though leaning toward Opti-lube at the moment.
I have been using ps at this point only because we use it at my shop.
Looking into alternatives.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #32
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
No pick for "none."

Road Diesel has anti-gel included in the "winter blend" that starts showing up at gas stations in northern states in November.

Anti-gel is NORMALLY only needed when temps drop below 10 degrees AND you have "summer blend" in the tank (or your spare cans).

Over the counter anti-gel additives will drop the gel point 25 degrees, so you may need additional protection if the temps get lower than -15 degrees in your area.

Other virtues of their additives verge on "Snake Oil" sales tactics and may, or may not, have any positive impact on your injectors etc.

Diesel additives DO have a place in the egg crate in the bed of your truck.
This is the time of year that I start recycling my spare can diesel into the truck and replace it with fresh winter blend.
Us Midwestern ers may have a +20 degree day but with wind chill that temp in real feal may be -10 or -20 which is why it's recommended to use an antigel when below +30
Old 12-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #33
Hob

I can hear the howls now. I was told by an older diesel mechanic to use a quart of automatic transmission fluid for every 40 gallons of diesel I run through my 7.3 L Ford engine. I have done that now for the last five years and have had no injector problems and the truck runs just great. I have got to the point where I fill up when I need 20 gallons of fuel so every other fill gets a quart of automatic transmission fluid.
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #34
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hob View Post
I can hear the howls now. I was told by an older diesel mechanic to use a quart of automatic transmission fluid for every 40 gallons of diesel I run through my 7.3 L Ford engine. I have done that now for the last five years and have had no injector problems and the truck runs just great. I have got to the point where I fill up when I need 20 gallons of fuel so every other fill gets a quart of automatic transmission fluid.
Pre dpf engines I've heard of tranny fluid for years.
If it's a dpf engine I'd be real scared!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #35

The 7.3 could probably handle that with no problems. The newer diesels are so finicky I'd never try the transmission fluid additive trick.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #36
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hob View Post
Speaking of which there's a trucking company in the il quad cities that circulates a gallon of engine oil into the fuel tank every two days and burn it.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #37
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

Herk, I've been using Stanadyne for sometime now and I must say it has helped increase my fuel economy by about 1.5 mi.per gal. I always hesitate to tell people about the increase in mpg; some just never believe it.Quiet honestly I drive like I really want good fuel economy. I just don't push Max. all that hard. OPTi-Lube XPD looks good as well. By the way I use Stanadyne in my 27HP. Diesel tractor as well and my old 18 hp yanmar tractor. . Just me.

05 Dmax/Allison
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #38

I had read the new engines are designed to run the ULSD. Include injectors,etc. Is this bunk or are the manufacturers going to be be buying a lot of injectors, etc in the coming years? And, are "they" going to pay for us for repairs, using the "recommended" fuel (forced upon us by EPA)?
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #39
Hob

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Pre dpf engines I've heard of tranny fluid for years.
If it's a dpf engine I'd be real scared!
My engine is pre dpf. It's a 2000 and I sure wouldn't trade it for a newer engine unless I scattered it. I think I'll keep running the ATF.
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #40
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTJohn View Post
I had read the new engines are designed to run the ULSD. Include injectors,etc. Is this bunk or are the manufacturers going to be be buying a lot of injectors, etc in the coming years? And, are "they" going to pay for us for repairs, using the "recommended" fuel (forced upon us by EPA)?
The new Post-2007 engines REQUIRE USLD. That does not mean they can't be improved by the additives apparently. I ordered a gallon of Optilube XPD and will use it this year. I have good baseline data and the only changes will be the additive.

We plan on over 10,000 miles towing in 2013, so I will let you know if it was a waste of money.