Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: what brand of antigel and inj. lube do u use ?
howes 3 9.68%
power service 18 58.06%
red line 1 3.23%
sea foam 1 3.23%
us lube 0 0%
amsoil 1 3.23%
gunk 0 0%
champion brands 0 0%
other 7 22.58%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

what do you use for antigel and injector lube ? poll

If your additive of choice isn't listed please list and explain why you use.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
Camper Less Camping

Stanadyne...all season performance line

When i did my research on fuel additives, this brand was approved for use by GM and the price per bottle was reasonable compared to other brands...I dump a 8oz bottle at every tank refill.
I'm happy with the product and my truck is too

Old 12-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
Stanadyne...all season performance line

When i did my research on fuel additives, this brand was approved for use by GM and the price per bottle was reasonable compared to other brands...I dump a 8oz bottle at every tank refill.
I'm happy with the product and my truck is too
I'll look into it. Thanks
Old 12-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
Oklahoma Proud

Power Service, sometimes the white jug, sometimes silver. Put it in every diesel we have, & more than required. This reminds me, I got to get some more!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121210_204127.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	22205
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
Oklahoma Proud

Am I doing something wrong, I don't see the pie graph, on my phone, i see the graph on laptop though
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Am I doing something wrong, I don't see the pie graph, on my phone, i see the graph on laptop though
Nope ur fine.
Only votes are for power service as of yet.
Once another is voted on then the pie will show up.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #7

Power service grey. I use to not run anything, but a couple of year ago I was pulling my camper back from the beach and the check engine light came on because the EGR was sticking. I had heard that the new low sulfur fuel does not have the lubricants that the old fuel had, so at the next fill up I bought power service and put in the tank about a 100 miles down the road my check engine light went out and has not been on since. That made me a believer I run treatment in my every other time I fill up.
67redbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Since running low sulfur fuel you should run a fuel lube without doubt all year round.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #9

I use the Power Service white jug in the winter and the Power Service grey jug in the summer. A friend of mine had his Powerstroke gell up last year and put a jug of the Power Service 911 (red bottle) in it. After about 30 minutes it fired right up.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:21 AM   #10

Howes, for no other reason than we used them in our semis and now the cummins.

Greg
49 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:39 AM   #11
Wanna Be Camper

Texas Refinery DZL PEP Artic. It's what most of the farmers around me use for their equipment and I figure if it's good enough for 1/2 millon dollar tractors and combines etc it's good enough for my stuff.

http://www.texasrefinery.com/images/...parctic(1).pdf

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:46 AM   #12
Now a "Top Member"

Diesel Kleen at Wal-Mart. Never had any issues running it and it's readily available.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
Diesel Kleen at Wal-Mart. Never had any issues running it and it's readily available.
X2

I also believe the grey bottle helps with MPG and less regen's.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #14

Opti-Lube XPD
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #15

Diesel Kleen grey bottle in every tank.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Stanadyne for sure.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #17
Site Team - Lou

No pick for "none."

Road Diesel has anti-gel included in the "winter blend" that starts showing up at gas stations in northern states in November.

Anti-gel is NORMALLY only needed when temps drop below 10 degrees AND you have "summer blend" in the tank (or your spare cans).

Over the counter anti-gel additives will drop the gel point 25 degrees, so you may need additional protection if the temps get lower than -15 degrees in your area.

Other virtues of their additives verge on "Snake Oil" sales tactics and may, or may not, have any positive impact on your injectors etc.

Diesel additives DO have a place in the egg crate in the bed of your truck.
This is the time of year that I start recycling my spare can diesel into the truck and replace it with fresh winter blend.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I hope this post does not steel the thread, but it's interesting and along the same lines as the current subject matter. Hope it's interesting and provides some insight into additives.
Fuel Additive Test - Ultra-Low Sulfur Diesel - Diesel Power Magazine
Diesel Fuel Additive Test
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
I hope this post does not steel the thread, but it's interesting and along the same lines as the current subject matter. Hope it's interesting and provides some insight into additives.
Disregard. I tried the link again and the bottom link actually took me to the article.\

This link works well.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/57719847/D...-Additive-Test

OK, read the article and I think the following should be taken into consideration when evaluating the results. "Skipping to the end" would actually result in a correct selection of the "best" additive for improving lubricity but not determine WHETHER IT WAS REQUIRED.

"-The independent research firm obtained a quantity of “untreated” ULSD fuel from a supplier. This fuel was basic ULSD fuel intended for use in diesel engines. However, this sample was acquired PRIOR to any attempt to additize the fuel for the purpose of replacing lost lubricity. In other words, it was a “worst case scenario, very dry diesel fuel” that would likely cause damage to any fuel delivery system. The fuel was tested using the HFRR testing facility at the Laboratory.
This fuel was determined to have a very high HFRR score of 636 microns, typical of an untreated ULSD fuel.
It was determined that this batch of fuel would be utilized as the baseline fuel for testing all of the additives. The baseline fuel HFRR score of 636 would be used as the control sample. All additives tested would be evaluated on their ability to replace lost lubricity to the fuel by comparing their scores to the control sample. Any score under 636 shows improvement to the fuels ability to lubricate the fuel delivery system of a diesel engine."
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
So this study says additives improve MPG's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Disregard. I tried the link again and the bottom link actually took me to the article.\

This link works well.

OK, read the article and I think the following should be taken into consideration when evaluating the results. "Skipping to the end" would actually result in a correct selection of the "best" additive for improving lubricity but not determine WHETHER IT WAS REQUIRED.

"-The independent research firm obtained a quantity of “untreated” ULSD fuel from a supplier. This fuel was basic ULSD fuel intended for use in diesel engines. However, this sample was acquired PRIOR to any attempt to additize the fuel for the purpose of replacing lost lubricity. In other words, it was a “worst case scenario, very dry diesel fuel” that would likely cause damage to any fuel delivery system. The fuel was tested using the HFRR testing facility at the Laboratory.
This fuel was determined to have a very high HFRR score of 636 microns, typical of an untreated ULSD fuel.
It was determined that this batch of fuel would be utilized as the baseline fuel for testing all of the additives. The baseline fuel HFRR score of 636 would be used as the control sample. All additives tested would be evaluated on their ability to replace lost lubricity to the fuel by comparing their scores to the control sample. Any score under 636 shows improvement to the fuels ability to lubricate the fuel delivery system of a diesel engine."
This study says it improves HFFR's, but does not do MPG tests.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote