Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #1

What not to do...

I agree with all of these.

Anyone have any to add?

7 things not to do at a campground | Fox News

Recently I had a neighbor burning all their trash, including Styrofoam.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
Graduate Member

I'm not sure the people that wrote that story have ever gone camping....
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #3

Wow, we mainly stick to State Parks and I agree with everything on that list! Unfortunately we have had to endure everything on that list as well...
CHD Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #4

I'd have to say that it's actually a good thing for people to trim the dead branches off the trees and burn them.. cleans up the park as well as keeps the staff from having to do it... as long as its done with reason of course...

TV- 2015 Ram 2500 CCLB 6.7 Cummins 3.42 gears
Camper - 2015 Saber 322BHTS
avolnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrip View Post
I'm not sure the people that wrote that story have ever gone camping....
X2

1) I check in/ set up when I get there....... 5,10,2 AM..... it is what it is.

2) drunk, not so much any more.... I want to watch the entertainment not be the entertainment. And hang overs sure hurt more than they used to...

3) I will try to keep the wifes tone to a low growl..... but look out for her bite.

4) Quiet time 10:00 PM -6:00 AM .... If it is a 'party' area.... join in or camp somewhere else, Your just jealous that someone is having more fun and staying up later that you are.... the 'camp host' will patrol the noise level.

5) Who uses 'soap' camping???? Dump on the 'all in one' shampoo and let'er flow......

6) Back to point #5...... you sound kind of neutered...

7) if it anit nailed down..... its' going in the fire..... 'matches'... (check) 'wood'....(check)..... 'Gasoline'....."son, put the gas away, dad tried that several times and we ran out of wood and eye brows...... bring me the diesel fuel" Mom likes the taste of diesel flavored 'smoores'....

The person who wrote the 7 things not to do camping..... should get out a little more..... with people who do not camp.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
Broken Toe

As with most things in life, there are people who feel that the way THEY think something should be is they way EVERYONE should think it should be. Here in Missouri, there is a minor war raging between booze-and-boob float trippers, and the crowd that think nature can only be enjoyed in silent repose. I hate either side that gets too far from the happy medium.

I like to my own thing. If my thing goes against your thing, the problem is most likely yours, not mine. Now of course, blaring gangsta rap at 3am breaks the bounds of civility, but I feel civility is a two way street.

I normally don't go shirtless, as I have seen me naked and its not a thing to share. But one time, I was in a heated high-stakes corn-hole game, shirtless with some buddys. I mean really high-stakes. We were playing for Steaks. Anyway, in the campsite across the street was a veeerrrry tightly laced older couple who thought that any (and i mean ANY) intrusion on their camping quiescence was a hanging offense (provided the hanging was done quietly). If you ever seen the tv show Top Gear when they make fun of 'Caravaners', then you seen the type of people I am talking about.

The husband came over and without even so much as a "hihowyadoin" proceeds to tell us that the thumping of the bags on the boards was giving his wife a headache and that we needed to stop. He was politely informed on what he could do with a measure of sand, a mallet and a body orifice. As he is walking away, he mutters "At least put some shirts on. It's a disgrace...". In case you were wondering, this was at around 4 in the afternoon. In july. You should have heard them barking at the kids out riding bikes and generally being kids.

I camp to go have a good time. I am convinced that some people camp to complain about people having a good time. I refuse to let them interfere with my enjoyment.

tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
As with most things in life, there are people who feel that the way THEY think something should be is they way EVERYONE should think it should be. Here in Missouri, there is a minor war raging between booze-and-boob float trippers, and the crowd that think nature can only be enjoyed in silent repose. I hate either side that gets too far from the happy medium.

I like to my own thing. If my thing goes against your thing, the problem is most likely yours, not mine. Now of course, blaring gangsta rap at 3am breaks the bounds of civility, but I feel civility is a two way street.

I normally don't go shirtless, as I have seen me naked and its not a thing to share. But one time, I was in a heated high-stakes corn-hole game, shirtless with some buddys. I mean really high-stakes. We were playing for Steaks. Anyway, in the campsite across the street was a veeerrrry tightly laced older couple who thought that any (and i mean ANY) intrusion on their camping quiescence was a hanging offense (provided the hanging was done quietly). If you ever seen the tv show Top Gear when they make fun of 'Caravaners', then you seen the type of people I am talking about.

The husband came over and without even so much as a "hihowyadoin" proceeds to tell us that the thumping of the bags on the boards was giving his wife a headache and that we needed to stop. He was politely informed on what he could do with a measure of sand, a mallet and a body orifice. As he is walking away, he mutters "At least put some shirts on. It's a disgrace...". In case you were wondering, this was at around 4 in the afternoon. In july. You should have heard them barking at the kids out riding bikes and generally being kids.

I camp to go have a good time. I am convinced that some people camp to complain about people having a good time. I refuse to let them interfere with my enjoyment.

tim

X2

Being from BoCoMo..... I run with a large group of sometimes 15-20 camping units. 'We' camp and play as a Herd. 'We' , 'go to The Lake of Ozarks', the Current River, Jacks Fork River. It is a Whole Family affair and large fish frys, day long 'floats'..... and the beer (and jello shots). It is 'The Show Me' State and sometimes....a lot gets 'shown'... .

Old 08-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #8

I'm not quite sure what people expect when you pack a few hundred people onto a couple acres of land. We go to have a good time and especially to socialize not to sit in church like silence, if I wanted that I would take a tent and hike where there are no other people around. We are, I think, considerate of other campers in not cranking our music up and I don't just walk through someones site without at least saying hi...it is their "space' while they are there and I respect that and ask the same in return. If someone's kids are running around having a good time, no problem, and if another camper is having a party we'll grab our chairs, introduce ourselves and offer up a drink.

Tim & Jenn
2009 Forest River Grey Wolf 235 5er
2003 F-350 Superduty 6.0 l Diesel
DSP 17K
aiscpl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post

tim
X3!!! I camp for my and my families enjoyment. When we go out camping it's always a big group, and yes we do have fun and lots of time the drinking is at full tilt but we are grown adults here and have the common sense of when it's time to tone it down! If other campers come up to us complaining, we (well I should say I because the whole family knows that I'm not afraid of anyone lol) politely tell them we are all just here to have a good time and camping isn't all about being quite at 2 in the afternoon! Now we have had a few that get extremely snippy and rude and they get the same in return but the hosts have always seen my families side of things! It's all about having fun and if your too busy complaining that other people are having a good time then camping isn't for you! Just my 2cents
turnerpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #10

We follow the "do unto others" rule but I do have to ask a question. Why do people get rip roaring drunk at all ~ and why in such small confined spaces? I'm not saying there's anything wrong with have adult beverages, we do, I just don't understand the "loud and proud" attitude the sometimes accompanies it. It's seems to me that they're trying too hard to "have a good time". Our most recent experience with this was Memorial Day weekend. Apparently we were not the only campers annoyed as "Stranger Ranger" showed up, finally, and they decided to go to bed (Thankfully). The one dude got so upset that they left the next morning ~ also thankfully ~ my point being, there's a time and place for everything ~ why not use some basic courtesy as everyone is paying for the space. By the way, I did not choose to make a lot of noise early the following morning thereby waking them from what was surely a nasty hangover ~~~ although it occurred to me.....

The dog part is my biggest issue ~ and it's my dog. We're trying to get our pom to chill out and enjoy camping, which he does, until we put him in the camper so we can go somewhere ~ then he cuts a rusty! I don't like the barking collars but I have considered them..... I have learned that leaving the tv or radio on, air on, and giving him 1/2 cup of doggie ice cream will keep him distracted until we're out of dodge and our neighbors report it does work......If we know we're not gonna be around the camper, tho, like a beach camping weekend, we leave him home.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancythecamper View Post

The dog part is my biggest issue ~ and it's my dog. We're trying to get our pom to chill out and enjoy camping, which he does, until we put him in the camper so we can go somewhere ~ then he cuts a rusty! I don't like the barking collars but I have considered them..... I have learned that leaving the tv or radio on, air on, and giving him 1/2 cup of doggie ice cream will keep him distracted until we're out of dodge and our neighbors report it does work......If we know we're not gonna be around the camper, tho, like a beach camping weekend, we leave him home.
We love our puppies. We had two mini poms and we took them where we could, but they were real yippers. they ran all over the truck when we traveled and it was hard to 'settle them down'....... Loved the dogs very much and are glad we had them.... but we said... no more dogs when they were gone....

We were given a rescue dog several years ago to take care until a home was found for her..... She crawled onto my lap and has never left. A mini Pekingese. She does not make a sound. She will sit on the dash of the truck and ride hundreds of miles, looking out and into the truck to see her 'Family'. We have a carrying bag for her that when put on the floor and open, she knows that she gets 'to go'. I carry her in her bag everywhere.... stores, theaters, restaurants, parks and almost no one knows that I have a dog with us. Very Very few place have said anything to me about her. Not many people will say very much to a person with a 'dog in a bag, and a 9m on his hip. She sleeps at night wrapped around my head .... She knows who is the Alpha dog. The dog belongs to the DW.... but the DW says that I belong to the dog.

I would recommend a mini Pekingese as a great camping and traveling dog.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #12
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancythecamper View Post
We follow the "do unto others" rule but I do have to ask a question. Why do people get rip roaring drunk at all ~
Simple. Because no good story starts "one time when we had Ice Tea..."

Seriously, peoples inhibitions lower, and to me it's fun to see people come out of their shells and let their hair down. A good friends wife is pretty much a stick in the mud 99% of the time. Its not that she isn't neat to have around, but she generally disapproves of the stupid (read: fun) things we do. But get a couple of margaritas in her and she will be the one suggesting we hold fast-food tray races down the stairs in the hotel.

I love seeing that side of her. It's like taking off the costume of "upstanding, straight-laced soccer mom" and letting the real her come out.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote