Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2015, 03:59 PM   #81
Senior Member
 
vinmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: MA
Posts: 1,793
I do not own a phone as I feel they are just a fad that will soon die out.

Vin.
__________________

__________________

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:06 PM   #82
Senior Member
 
LANShark42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: SW Indiana
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridersfan View Post
You're right, it can be just as tough to switch from apple to an android... my point is that in android, you can switch to a samsung, or htc, or motorola, or sony... or i can keep going on... it's an easy switch between brands that all run android. It is easy to switch from an apple to an apple, but they're all made by apple, and they're all controlled and priced by apple... that's what really grinds my gears. I don't like big brother controlling my choices.
At the risk of starting to sound like an Apple fanboi (which I'm NOT), I'd like to ask which company(s) give the consumer "control/control over pricing"?!? How does Apple - apparently aka "big brother" (LOL) - CONTROL your choices any more than any other cell phone maker?!? You can like Apple or not like Apple, just like any other brand. But to try to portray them as something sinister is just plain silly.

Bottom line - do your research to the best of your ability when making a purchase, whether it be a small widget, a cell phone, a tow vehicle or a TT/MH. Then use that research to buy what you want. And if it does a good job for you, buy that brand again when you need to buy another.
__________________

__________________
19xx Wife (named Melissa)
2014 Akita (named Mizuki)
2015 F250XLT 6.2l V8, 4x4, Supercrew, 3.73 Rear
10K WD Equal-i-zer Hitch
2015 Coachmen Catalina 273BH
LANShark42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:09 PM   #83
Senior Member
 
LANShark42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: SW Indiana
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
I do not own a phone as I feel they are just a fad that will soon die out.

Vin.
Is that telephones in general or just cell phones? And how do you feel about television and the Internet??? Just curious...
__________________
19xx Wife (named Melissa)
2014 Akita (named Mizuki)
2015 F250XLT 6.2l V8, 4x4, Supercrew, 3.73 Rear
10K WD Equal-i-zer Hitch
2015 Coachmen Catalina 273BH
LANShark42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:11 PM   #84
Senior Member
 
ridersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by LANShark42 View Post
At the risk of starting to sound like an Apple fanboi (which I'm NOT), I'd like to ask which company(s) give the consumer "control/control over pricing"?!? How does Apple - apparently aka "big brother" (LOL) - CONTROL your choices any more than any other cell phone maker?!? You can like Apple or not like Apple, just like any other brand. But to try to portray them as something sinister is just plain silly.

Bottom line - do your research to the best of your ability when making a purchase, whether it be a small widget, a cell phone, a tow vehicle or a TT/MH. Then use that research to buy what you want. And if it does a good job for you, buy that brand again when you need to buy another.
Apple charges a premium for their phones. Want a cheap android? Buy a cheap android... you don't have to buy a high end samsung, you can get a low end one in walmart for like $75 bucks last I'd looked. But as far as big brother, I stick with that... you can install apps from anywhere you like on an android... but not on an apple, you have to get all your apps through apple.

I hope I'm not coming across as bashing on apple (though I do enjoy doing that) I only just myself switched in the last 6 weeks or so from android tablet and phone to iphone and ipad.
__________________
If you don't like my opinion, I'll give you a full refund on what you paid me for it.
ridersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:30 PM   #85
Senior Member
 
Ford Idaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 9,840
Anyone remember the

Original Smart phone?

__________________
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:33 PM   #86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Port Orange Fl
Posts: 555
Smart Phone

Now that's funny. I don't care who you are !!!!!
__________________
Kevin & Judy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:30 PM   #87
Senior Member
 
LANShark42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: SW Indiana
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridersfan View Post
Apple charges a premium for their phones. Want a cheap android? Buy a cheap android... you don't have to buy a high end samsung, you can get a low end one in walmart for like $75 bucks last I'd looked. But as far as big brother, I stick with that... you can install apps from anywhere you like on an android... but not on an apple, you have to get all your apps through apple.

I hope I'm not coming across as bashing on apple (though I do enjoy doing that) I only just myself switched in the last 6 weeks or so from android tablet and phone to iphone and ipad.

I'd love to buy a cheap new Cadillac. Can't find one. Anywhere. And if I did, I'd want to put cheap parts into it. But I'm pretty sure Cadillac wouldn't let me do that and maintain the warranty. Is Cadillac playing "big brother" too? I'm sure I could list other similar situations. Sony comes to mind, especially in their PC/laptop lines.

Like Cadillac, Apple is a premium product. Apparently you don't disagree with this since you have (at least) 2 of their products. With Apple, you not only buy a phone, you buy an EXPERIENCE. There is more than just the device that factors into that experience. It also includes the OS and the apps. Don't want to pay Apple's price? Don't buy one. It's called free-market. I repeat, there in NOTHING Orwellian about this.

Yeah, I think you are Apple bashing, but I don't mind. Because I've done my share of Apple bashing too.
__________________
19xx Wife (named Melissa)
2014 Akita (named Mizuki)
2015 F250XLT 6.2l V8, 4x4, Supercrew, 3.73 Rear
10K WD Equal-i-zer Hitch
2015 Coachmen Catalina 273BH
LANShark42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 05:47 PM   #88
fx2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by LANShark42 View Post
I'd love to buy a cheap new Cadillac. Can't find one. Anywhere. And if I did, I'd want to put cheap parts into it. But I'm pretty sure Cadillac wouldn't let me do that and maintain the warranty. Is Cadillac playing "big brother" too? I'm sure I could list other similar situations. Sony comes to mind, especially in their PC/laptop lines.



Like Cadillac, Apple is a premium product. Apparently you don't disagree with this since you have (at least) 2 of their products. With Apple, you not only buy a phone, you buy an EXPERIENCE. There is more than just the device that factors into that experience. It also includes the OS and the apps. Don't want to pay Apple's price? Don't buy one. It's called free-market. I repeat, there in NOTHING Orwellian about this.



Yeah, I think you are Apple bashing, but I don't mind. Because I've done my share of Apple bashing too.

Apple does set the retailer pricing. They set minimum and maximum pricing of the phones.

Im not Apple bashing, I have an iPhone and iPad, live them both. i tried to go to the Galaxy S4 and Galaxytab, found that for me they were just too difficult to use after using an iPhone for a number of years.

I do miss my blackberry!


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________
2014 Surveyor SC321BHTS
2016 Nissan Titan XD SL4x4 Cummins
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:26 PM   #89
Senior Member
 
Mrs Evans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Original Smart phone?
OMG!!! Love love love me some Maxwell Smart I even like the re-make!
__________________
Michelle Evans
Katy, TX
2011 Carriage Cabo 341
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 08:36 PM   #90
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 534
Checkout Republic Wireless. I have a Moto X which I bought for, as I recall, $199, and I have unlimited talk, text and data for approximately $25/month.

Republic Wireless makes use of WiFi when it's available and uses Sprint (not great...) when there's no WiFi. My plan uses Sprint's 3G service - I think there's a $40 plan that includes 4G.

The service has occasional glitches, primarily in handoffs between WiFi servers and between WiFi and Sprint, and it suffers from Sprint's limited coverage. But I think I'm probably saving $800 or $900 / year, so an occasional glitch is acceptable.

Dave
__________________

__________________
DaveJordan is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:25 PM.