Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2017, 11:35 PM   #181
Member
 
mkgearhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollscanardly View Post
Love that car!

What engine...304....390??

Rich
Mine had the 232 6 cylinder and a Ford FMX transmission. It had manual steering, brakes and windshield washers (they were operated by a foot pump and if you pushed hard enough you could get the car behind you). The wipers were vacuum operated and would go slower the faster you went.
__________________

__________________
mkgearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:18 AM   #182
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 623
My first was a POS death trap 1959 Opel Kadett 2 door station wagon given to me by my parents. (They didn't have much.) The gas tank was rusted to the point that there were pinholes all over the top. If I put too much gas in it my friends complained about the gas smell. It would have put a Pinto to shame in a rear-end collision, I'm sure.

My dad drove it for years as transportation to his maintenance job before he gave it to me. He bought it for $25 from one of his buddies. That buddy received it free as compensation for helping someone move. I think the person who moved got the better end of the deal, not having to dispose of it.
__________________

__________________
- 1969 Coleman Williamsburg (with original canvas!)
- 2000 Coleman Mesa
- 2014 Shamrock 21DK
- 1999 Chevrolet Astro
- 2005 Dodge Durango Limited 4x2 5L V8 Hemi

- 2016 Ford F-150 SCrew Lariat 4x2 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
chriscowles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:51 AM   #183
Citrus County, Fl.
 
GL1800Rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Hernando, Fl
Posts: 833
My first was a 1960 Corvair purchased from my dad in 1968 when I was 16. Paid $75, put a $75 paint job on it and traded a few months later for a 1962 Impala Super Sport with factory air which I could kick myself for not keeping.

DW's first was a 1960 Valiant station wagon with a slant 6 and push button drive. Indestructible.
__________________
2016 Forester 3011DS
2015 Toyota Corrola S toad
PREVIOUS: 2015 Flagstaff 832IKBS
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:45 AM   #184
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
My first was a POS death trap 1959 Opel Kadett 2 door station wagon given to me by my parents. (They didn't have much.) The gas tank was rusted to the point that there were pinholes all over the top. If I put too much gas in it my friends complained about the gas smell. It would have put a Pinto to shame in a rear-end collision, I'm sure.

My dad drove it for years as transportation to his maintenance job before he gave it to me. He bought it for $25 from one of his buddies. That buddy received it free as compensation for helping someone move. I think the person who moved got the better end of the deal, not having to dispose of it.
My 2nd car was a 1972 Opel Manta that I bought in 1972 when my Gremlin got creamed. It was really fun to drive, but I was always working on it. I learned SO much about cars. I had it 5 yr and put almost 150,000 miles on it. Traded it in on a 1981 Datsun 200SX. But I missed it so much, 2 yr later I bought a 1975 Opel Manta (with fuel injection - what a great invention!). I had that one another 3 years.
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:12 PM   #185
Senior Member
 
rracer5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Full Timing It
Posts: 1,796
1966 Mustang Coupe, red, black vinyl roof, 289 2bbl, 3 speed on the floor, posi, & bucket seats! Bought it in 1972 for $75! All it needed was a rear brake line!

Then in 1973, mom & dad let me buy a "new" car for graduation. Ordered a 1973 Nova SS, 350 4bbl, 4 speed, light green with black interior, buckets!

Man......wish I had BOTH of them back!
__________________
"PT Crew Members Since 9/2010"
2011 RAM 2500 HD 6.7L CTD Crew
2014 Sanibel 3250
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 01:48 PM   #186
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Liverpool NY
Posts: 573
Javelin powerplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgearhead View Post
Mine had the 232 6 cylinder and a Ford FMX transmission. It had manual steering, brakes and windshield washers (they were operated by a foot pump and if you pushed hard enough you could get the car behind you). The wipers were vacuum operated and would go slower the faster you went.
Mine had that same motor. I'd forgotten about the vacuum wipers . Had my heart set on a Road Runner (MOPAR family), but our family State Farm agent had me come in and showed me the rate books and how I wouldn't be able to afford insurance on a muscle car at my tender age. Convinced me to wait a couple of years. A year later I fell in love, got married ,followed in rapid succession a starter home and kids. Never did get my dream machine.
__________________
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:55 PM   #187
Senior Member
 
rracer5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Full Timing It
Posts: 1,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYCamper View Post
Mine had that same motor. I'd forgotten about the vacuum wipers . Had my heart set on a Road Runner (MOPAR family), but our family State Farm agent had me come in and showed me the rate books and how I wouldn't be able to afford insurance on a muscle car at my tender age. Convinced me to wait a couple of years. A year later I fell in love, got married ,followed in rapid succession a starter home and kids. Never did get my dream machine.

Haah....I feel your pain!!! 1976, ended up in a 1975 Chevrolet Laguna, automatic (cause the wife couldn't drive stick)!

On another note.....had the chance in 1974 to buy a '63 split window 'vette, 396 for $2500. Dad talked me out of that one for the same insurance reasons! Since I was young & he wasn't a "car guy", we both missed the forsight on that one!!!
__________________
"PT Crew Members Since 9/2010"
2011 RAM 2500 HD 6.7L CTD Crew
2014 Sanibel 3250
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 03:13 PM   #188
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 168
Mine was the 73 hornet. Also had the 232 6 cylinder. The ac would create ice on the dash vents. The full width split front seat would completely recline over top of the rear seat. Nice car but such an ugly yellow.
__________________
2015 Forest River Grey Wolf..Traded
2015 Forest River Cherokee 274RK
2001 2500hd
2014 Jeep SRT...did not trade
Simplewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:14 PM   #189
Senior Member
 
SKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,561
1975 Monte Carlo. Tore the front end off against a phone pole and fixed her, popped the engine and built a fire breather in it's place. Killed transmissions, killed tires, killed opponents that thought a heavy car couldn't run.

And, while in sad shape now, I still have it. She waits for the time to bring her back. That will see a fuel injected 383, TH700 trans, and the rest restored to spec. She'll be a nice cruiser. When I have time and money that is.
__________________
Now-2014 Sierra 346RETS 5er BUB
Then-2002 Keystone Springdale 286RLDS TT

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 04:43 PM   #190
KnP
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 168
I wish that my dad never sold the 75 Monte Carlo. I would change the engine and transmission from a modern truck. At least I could tow my camper with it. Love the idea of body over chasiss; lots of potential....
__________________

__________________
2016 Rockwood 2306
2016 Chevy Colorado Z82 / 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
KnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 AM.