Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
Site Team

What would you do??

When I returned to my TT on Friday there were a motorcyle trailer parked on the next site over. Late night I met my neighbors when they returned with their class C MH and they said that they would be gone the next day but returning at night.

On Saturday their site is completely empty. In the late afternoon someone else has set up camp. A couple of hours later that person is gone and the site is empty again until a truck is parked there for a while before moving. Some time has passed before the truck returns and is parked there again.

Fast forward to 1:00 am. I'm alseep until someone next to my trailer starts honking their horn. Beep! beep! beep! beep! After a short pause, I hear beep! beep! beep! as it starts up again. It seems my original neighbors have return to find a truck in their site.

While the truck owner came running to move it I couldn't help by think isn't there a better soultion? The method above had a quick soultion but at what cost to the innocent people?

What would you do?? Honk, knock or ?
Note: for ? Please only legally accepted ideas. I am asking for actual ideas if ever I'm find myself in that situtation.

Also I don't see any CH listed on the campground map. Since this KOA has long term campers its hard to guess who is a CH based on stuff on displayed like lots of potted plants, benches, etc.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

The folks that left should have blocked the site with a saw horse and a sign that said occupied. If I had a motor home and needed to abandon my site to go to dinner or sight seeing; I sure as heck would have made folks aware of that fact.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
TeresaInCAL

Guess I would have contacted the camp host, of ranger, etc. think it's kind of rude to wake up everyone in the campground.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #4

Just another TOTAL LACK of proper camping. The guy with the pickup should have NOT PARKED his trk in what he thought was an empty site. He paid for 1 site and should have kept his trk etc on HIS SITE not anywhere he wanted to. The next morning I'd have said something to the guy with the trk. The camper returing had no idea who was in his site, and short of spending time knocking on every trl in the area he did the onjly thing he could do. But he should have done
like Herk said identified the site as being occupied.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #5
Site Team

It would had been nice if the camp hosts were listed on the map or at the sites. The difference between knocking on doors and honking is that fewer campers would had been subject to being woken up by knocking on the door rather than the entire park. Of course I didn't see any CH coming running to see what the problem was either. The owner of the truck actually had a hotel room so he didn't even pay for camping.

I do like Herk's idea of posting a sign.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
TeresaInCAL

What campground was this Terrier?
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
Site Team

KOA in Pomona, next to the fairplex.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #8

That is really weird. It could happen at a county ot state park with self service tags but at any private campground like KOA the sites are assigned by the office and anyone using a not assigned space is trespassing.
To say at least.
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #9

Sounds like a lack of courtesy all around. A good idea is to carry a big red cone with you to put in your space if you step out. If there were lots of empty spaces, then maybe the guy parking his truck really didn't think it a problem. In fact, if I was coming in late and my space was blocked, I would have just taken another one and not been blaring the horn. You could sort it out in the morning. I'd be more angry with the honker than the illegal parker.

What should "you" have done? Nothing but go back to bed and let it go. You are choosing to stay in a very communal space. There are gonna be rude and obnoxious people from time to time. Short of gunplay or property damage, there really isn't that much to get all worked up about.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:10 PM   #10

I've seen signs that campers use with "Site Taken" written on them. They looked like a factory sign.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...ch&um=1&itbs=1
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #11
Site Team

Wincrasher,

This KOA is right next to the fairplex where the RV show is. The campground was booked solid.

I was seeking to find out what others would do if they arrived back at camp only to find someone parked in their assigned site. The honking method did work well & fast but wouldn't be my choice - I just couldn't bring myself to wake everyone up. Even though you shouldn't have to with assigned sites I do like Herk's idea of marking the site. After being woken up I did turn on my outside light so they could see better while they settled in (minimum setup).

I just think both parties could had made a better choice.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #12

Coming back late at night and finding someone has stashed their truck in my spot? I"d be angry. If campground owners weren't available could you call police? tow truck? Not sure that would have been less disruptive to other campers than the beeping. You say it was booked so the option of parking somewhere else is gone. You said response had to be legal (so removing lug nuts out).

Here's the thing, someone who stashes their truck in a campground (when they are staying in a motel) isn't abiding by any rules so what's to stop them from moving the cone / sign aside and parking there anyway?

Yes the dufus who stashed his truck was in the wrong, and the MH owner did wake everyone up, but what about the campground owners? Isn't some of the fee you pay for security and for them making sure that you do have your site for your use? Sounds like throughout the time the MH was gone other folks were using it willy nilly. They dropped the ball too!
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote