Old 08-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
CLASS "A" Senior Member
Where did camper etiquette go?

What ever happened to Not Cutting Through Other's Campsite???
It's on the written rules of the park but how many people actually read the rules? 12 people this morning used our site as their short-cut this morning. How would you handle this situation without creating a confrontation?? I'm thinking paintball gun! But the guy next to me may end up with a unique paint scheme if I miss!!!

And then there's the people that don't read at all!!:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Here's your sign!.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	3031

Click image for larger version

Name:	When Idiots don't read.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	3032

2007 Georgetown 370TS

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
Do you mean like the kids that ride their bikes around your TT and through the site? Or the lady that walks through your site so her dog can relieve itself on the bushes behind your TT? I blame it on a common lack of respect for others; a major problem today in the campground, on the road or in your neighborhood. With the exception of one or two incidents, my experience has been that my fellow campers are courteous.

2008 Flagstaff 831FKSS
1997 Ram 2500 4X4 360 Gasser
Wife Candice, two dogs
1957 Dodge D100, 315 Poly
Liberty Hill, TX
52Dodgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:42 PM   #3
I think Dodgeman is right. The vast majority are courteous, but the few who don't follow the rules are a real pain. Our little Yorkie, tethered to the steps of our camper while we prepared to break camp, was attacked by the dog of a neighbor who thought the leash rule didn't apply to him. We spoke forthrightly to the guy and then reported him to the office on our way out, and they said, "Oh, yes, we know who you're talking about. He's a seasonal camper, and this happens all the time." Happens all the time but they never do anything about it. If our dog had been hurt, the campground would have been in a precarious legal position, having known there was a recurring problem but choosing to do nothing about it.
We go to very great lengths to keep off other people's sites, to keep our dog leashed and quiet, to keep our music at a very low level that won't disturb others at any time of day, and to keep alcohol out of sight so it doesn't offend others (go figure). But I think a few campers are only worried about themselves. I don't know the answer.
2013 Surveyor SP220
2010 Silverado LT 5.3 V8

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
I was on a corner lot once and had people walking across and through our campground. We blocked it off as well as we could with the truck and picnic table but people would actually go around them to cut through. We have one of those pop up garbage containers and a lady actually put her garbage in it! When we told her it was not a campsite receptical she did not willingly retrieve it. Yes, the majority of campers are respectful and curtious and the majority of the offenders are kids but it does seem like people in general are not as polite as they used to be.
backin15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:59 PM   #5
Now if you had that little black bear sitting at your picnic table I'll bet they would have gone around your site.
2008 Flagstaff 831FKSS
1997 Ram 2500 4X4 360 Gasser
Wife Candice, two dogs
1957 Dodge D100, 315 Poly
Liberty Hill, TX
52Dodgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
Owner - RVtronics
Send a message via AIM to Bob Fields Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Fields
My wife and I raised seven kids and we had two dogs.

I had two rules:
1. I don't want my kids or dogs bothering you.
2. I don't want yours bothering me!

enough said!
Bob Fields
(781) 281-9440
Bob Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:50 PM   #7
Personally I do not mind someone crossing through my campsite. I will admit that it does bother me if the person acts like noone is there, but if the person is friendly and returns my greeting, I am fine. The place where we camp 95% of the time is set up so there is almost no reason to pass through another site, so I don't experience it much.
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #8
I want to setup a toll booth next time.

1 cookie per kid and 2 beers per adult. After the last outting I would be set for the rest of the year!

A couple of people from the next row over actually got mad when I said something to them, they were walking right down the middle of my site and for some reason I was in the wrong? Mind you there wasn't anything on the other side like the head or pool.
2010 Surveyor SV 291
06 F250 4x4 crew cab PSD
1 DW, 1 purebred mutt, 1 ninja beagle

Nights camped in 2011: 19
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:38 PM   #9
Just experienced the same thing this past weekend in a campground that we haven't used before. Needless to say it won't be #1 on my list to go to next time. Most of the others where we camp are set up such that there is no real way/reason for folks to walk through your site. It irritates me, but at least if the person apologizes then I don't mind as much.
Pull-Rite 16K Super 5th
2014 Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8289WS
2011 Chevy 2500HD - DuraMax (Just over 5000 miles now!)
Nights camped in 2014 - 21
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #10
We stayed at a campground a few years ago up in South Port Maine. It was about 9:30 at night and a bunch of 8 to 13 year old kids ran right trough our site with flashlights while they were screaming at each other (and other campers sites). 2 Years ago we were camping on lake Champlain in Vermont when a drunk tripped over our sewer hose and water line in the middle of the night. But for most part we have had good experiences while we are camping. Most campground owners take care of unruly campers. I find that most people are respectful.

2013 Prime Time 230 FBS
Days camped in 2013: April to November
Days camped in 2014...about 40
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is online now   Reply With Quote