Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #1

Where do you store your trailer?

I live in a small subdivision of 20 custom houses, each on 1 1/2 acres or more. By-laws only state I can't live in the trailer. I parked it beside my house, under and kind of behind some trees about 100 feet from the road. I've also planted some trees that will block the view of the trailer in about 2 years. Some of my neighbors are not happy with my keeping it at my house and would like to rule that I can no longer keep it there. I'm not a fan of parking a trailer at a storage yard in the hot Texas sun. It will take a beating. Already looked for a covered space and none available. Besides, why would I want to pay $50 to $100 per month when I have plenty of space and electrical hookup.

Anyone else having my problem? Need some talking points to discuss with my fellow neighbors at our meeting next month.

Thanks
Rod, Debbe 1 spoiled Chihuahua and Becky the cat
1Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #2

Tell them about your plans to plant trees and hide the camper from view. Out of sight, out of mind.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #3

Where do I store it?

We had 10 tons of boulders moved for the second time so we could keep it here at home. About half of the RV owners within 2 blocks keep them in the drive, on the street, beside the house or kind of in the back yard. Oh, and then there are the boats...

Do your neighbors have that look on their faces as if they are walking around trying to hold a dime between their butt-cheeks?
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #4

Tell them they can do what they want to with their yard and they can tell you what to do with yours when they pay your mortgage.... In all seriousness, telling them about the trees will hopefully put it to rest, some people you just can't please though, that's why I'll never live in a subdivision, I couldn't handle other people making rules for MY house.

2004 Surveyor SV 261T
2011 Nissan Armada
sself1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #5

if you are in a hoa, then they can and will make your life miserable if they choose not to like it......other than that, i recommend to be polite and political. You wont win over much approval if your one of those "its my house and ill do what i want" kinda guys....i know it sucks and it IS your house and money, but in the real world sometimes you gotta play the game to keep things easy going...

or move......
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sself1219 View Post
Tell them they can do what they want to with their yard and they can tell you what to do with yours when they pay your mortgage.... In all seriousness, telling them about the trees will hopefully put it to rest, some people you just can't please though, that's why I'll never live in a subdivision, I couldn't handle other people making rules for MY house.

when i built my house i was not part of nor did i agree to any HOA. then at some point the developer changed over to HOA. they still dont seem to understand that i DO NOT have to accept the terms/benefits(lol) of thier HOA agreement...yet they stick letters on my gate, and notices informing me that my mailbox violates HOA guidlines.....i just waive at the president when he drives by...what are they gonna do??? thats right....absolutely NOTHING!
Old 09-14-2012, 04:44 PM   #7

Sounds like you got a bunch of whiner baby neighborswho are jealous of your big,shiny home on wheels,and wished that they were RV nuts like the rest of us.Bring em in,show em around and soon they'll want one too.!

Steve & Sue
2011 Crusader 320RLT
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 (CTD) DRW 4x4
RattVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Texan View Post
I live in a small subdivision of 20 custom houses, each on 1 1/2 acres or more. By-laws only state I can't live in the trailer. I parked it beside my house, under and kind of behind some trees about 100 feet from the road. I've also planted some trees that will block the view of the trailer in about 2 years. Some of my neighbors are not happy with my keeping it at my house and would like to rule that I can no longer keep it there. I'm not a fan of parking a trailer at a storage yard in the hot Texas sun. It will take a beating. Already looked for a covered space and none available. Besides, why would I want to pay $50 to $100 per month when I have plenty of space and electrical hookup.

Anyone else having my problem? Need some talking points to discuss with my fellow neighbors at our meeting next month.

Thanks
I agree that they should have no say in who puts what where as long as it isn't the beat up old RV from National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. With 1.5+ acres, it's not as if it would clutter up the lot and make it look like a storage facility (given you don't have 5 other trailers parked there), so what would be the problem? Sounds like a case of a stuck up housewife/husband (gotta be PC you know...) who has nothing better to do than complain about everyone else.

I second the fellow commenters on refusing to live in a sub-div. where they have a required HOA. That is the most pompus, nose in the air system that just allows a few "elite" (meaning arrogant) members to bully everyone else around. We have city laws preventing overgrown lawns, pools, fences and fire pit placements and front lawn storage, and that is just to keep the city looking neat. Other than that, Jane/John McNosey from 3 houses down can't say crap about my camper next to my garage, even on my puny .25 acre lot
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #9

Seems like you are in the clear with the deed restrictions that say you cannot live in it.
If they really don,t like it they could try to get enough sigs to change the bylaws .. Could be hard to get enough people to sign. I I would agree with the thought of trying to explain what you are trying to do with the new trees.
Camping nights 2013: 130
Camping nights 2014: 17
Dovetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #10

I wouldn't be so sure. In Texas, HOA's have strong basis in law. You don't have to agree with it to be included. Depends on how they've filed with the county/state.

I live in a small subdivision like you do. There are other subdivisions around it as well as rural houses in the county with no restrictions. The trade-off with having an HOA is that you generally enjoy higher property values. I know that is the case for me. I also like the orderliness and neatness of my neighborhood. I'd never have to be put in the position of having a dispute with a close neighbor because of stuff in their yard, they've built some ridiculous eyesore/non-code thing, or other such nonsense.

Part of being in a community is having some courtesy for others, even if the rules don't require it. I talk with a neighbor before I put up a fence, plant a tree, or yes, have my RV parked in the driveway the night before a trip. I don't have to, but want to, because I want to be liked and respected by my neighbors. If you don't want those things too, then you need to move out in the rural areas where anything goes, and often does.

Yes, your RV, no matter how nice, is an eyesore to neighbors that don't have them. Especially neighbors that happened to have paid a lot for their houses. As you can see in my sig, I'm a lover of all things RV. But parking at the house is not something I'd do, even if I could get away with it. Enclosed storage is the way to go. Either find it or build it.
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj View Post
..what are they gonna do??? thats right....absolutely NOTHING!
unfortunately you're incorrect

I've got the same problem - developer, then turned over to a HOA (POA) - they can and will do the bad deed against you

and when your neighbors get into the HOA office ! it's Katie bar the door - something about getting "elected" turns 'em into complete, uh, you know.....Bill
Whisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #12

in tx, hoa's hold quite a bit of power, and can sometimes be tyrants...when i built i MADE SURE i was not signing into an hoa. later they made my development an hoa, and TRIED to FORCE me to be part of it...but persuant to law, since i didnt sign into an hoa when i built, i was not obligated to be party to the one they subsequently formed....

with that said, i agree there are some nice aspects to hoa's (such as property value and requirements to keep homestead neat, clean, and orderly)

but again they can be tyrants....such as when i replaced my ugly handmade iron mailbox that EVERYONE had, to a custom one made of stone to match my house that looked WAY better.....never mind it was a more expensive and nice mailbox, it didnt MATCH everyone else, so the hoa was up in arms....

i swear i once saw pitchforks and torches!! LOL....honestly its really only a couple of the people in the hoa who have issue....all my close neighbors are good friends and we have cold beers and watch sports regularly....just goes to show how a couple of snooty people can ruin an otherwise healty HOA...
Old 09-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
unfortunately you're incorrect

I've got the same problem - developer, then turned over to a HOA (POA) - they can and will do the bad deed against you

and when your neighbors get into the HOA office ! it's Katie bar the door - something about getting "elected" turns 'em into complete, uh, you know.....Bill

they did....and tried....

persuant to the judgment i am not required to be part of the newly formed HOA ...not sure of specifics or how they formed hoa.....all i know is after some legal squabbles they dropped it and i dont pay dues nor am i required to??
Old 09-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj View Post
....just goes to show how a couple of snooty people can ruin an otherwise healty HOA...
This is the whole thing. HOA's are great in theory, but mostly horrible in practice.

To wincrasher, not everyone can afford an extra building/enclosure, nor the fee for storage. If my neighbor was ugly, can I make them stay inside as to not be an "eyesore" to me? As long as the unit is not disheveled and disgusting, it should not be any more of an eyesore than my neighbor parking a Prius in his drive. I think that that car is absolutely hideous, but I would not protest he remove it from his lot to apease me.
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #15
Not such a Junior anymore

I live in Truckee California (Lake Tahoe North), and am in an HOA. However, we are composed of full-time residents, not Bay Area transients wanting perfect asthetics. There are fancier neighborhoods around us with "that" crowd, and their Trent Jones - $100+ green fees, etc.

Our rules allow boats, RV's, trailers provided they are behind the house line (if parked for more than a week), and on some sort of driveway material.

As you can see, we have simple lava drain-rock as a pad. Notice my neighbors have various things around too.

In the winter though, we can't keep it here, or it will be buried in 400" of snow. I rent from a heated "toy" storage center in Sacramento, which preps, washes, drain/fill tanks when you call and want it in/out.

About $180mo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MyTrailer.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	19500
Old 09-14-2012, 06:38 PM   #16
Brigitte

Keep ours in our yard. We live one one acre, most of it behind the house apwith a little more difficult access. We had a gravel pad built at the end of our driveway to park the RV. I don't think I would be very good at having to go to a storage to pick RV up for loading prior to a trip
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsgtivr6 View Post
it should not be any more of an eyesore than my neighbor parking a Prius in his drive. I think that that car is absolutely hideous, but I would not protest he remove it from his lot to apease me.

It is ugly, isn't it?
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #18

We live on a small farm (62 acres) in Idaho. We have quite a bit of shed space. Our trailer is kept in one of our totally enclosed sheds which shares a common wall with our shop. It is nice to not have it exposed to the outside elements, especially during the winter.
Campster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #19

We also keep ours in the yard. Part of the reason for my smaller trailer is it fits beside the garage. I can keep it plugged in and ready to go. Nothing like. Deciding Friday night at 6 to go camping. Pick up some buns and milk and head right out!

We looked at getting a bigger trailer- but the cost savings and convenience out weigh the extra space.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:54 AM   #20
Wanna Be Camper

Right behind the house. Made a parking area for it with power when it is open is the summer months. In the winter it is totally closed down, battery out, wheel covers on and bait stations behind the wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer 001.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	19879  

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote