Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2015, 11:25 AM   #11
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,785
I'm not sure who is technically at fault but I think the dash cam driver was as much to blame as the other guy. He specifically sped up to block the VW from merging. In fact, he appears to have continued to accelerate while he was being forced off of the road. And finally, you can hear the conversation- he was talking on his phone.

IMO, the right answer would have been to just slow down and let the VW merge.

BUT- this is all easy to say because I'm here and not there.
__________________

__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:30 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
 
MtnGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 9,274
Let's keep this thread on track. I have had to already delete a post with a uncalled for "assumption".
__________________

__________________

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:30 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
BamaBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Whereever our Berkshire is Parked!
Posts: 6,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie19 View Post
IMO the vw. Some people don't understand that big rigs can't slow down very easily and that they need room. Really what was the VW gaining by getting that one extra spot? The vw should feel lucky that the semi didn't climb up and crush the little car....

This kind of thing makes me so excited to pull my trailer all the time. My unloaded weight with the trailer is just under 17k. Loaded with the toys I'll be over 20k easy.
That's why I installed this. I'm surprised the trucker didn't use his horn.


WOAH! Now THAT is a 'serrius Horn! (Please tell me it is a horn like this )

__________________
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:35 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Rookie19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
WOAH! Now THAT is a 'serrius Horn! (Please tell me it is a horn like this )




Mine just so happens to be off a fire truck. So it's extremely loud.
__________________
Tow rig - 2006 F350 with some goodies
Trailer - 2014 T27FQDX
Toys - 2005 yfz450 with some goodies, 2005 rhino 660
Rookie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #15
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 15,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I'm not sure who is technically at fault but I think the dash cam driver was as much to blame as the other guy. He specifically sped up to block the VW from merging. In fact, he appears to have continued to accelerate while he was being forced off of the road. And finally, you can hear the conversation- he was talking on his phone.

IMO, the right answer would have been to just slow down and let the VW merge.

BUT- this is all easy to say because I'm here and not there.
Doug, I'm not sure he really sped up, by judging the speed of the other semi in the right lane. It appears the passing cars may have slowed some, but it looks like the truck in the left lane kept same speed. I still think he was moving over to his left to avoid a collision, which the VW just had to move back into his right hand lane, which he still had time too and didn't before getting sandwiched between the two semis.

As far as the phone conversation, I can't say for certain it was the semi driver or perhaps a passenger in the semi.....as many trucks have two people in them depending on their destination and time schedule for what they are hauling.

Now, there is no doubt who is at fault in this one;

__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #16
cogito ergo moo
 
Cowracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Imperial (St. Louis) MO
Posts: 2,326
V-dub was wrong. The truck driver was in no way obligated or required to let the dub merge into his lane. The v-dub driver however WAS obligated to make sure that he could safely change lanes.

Tim
__________________
FROG Member MO-0008-571 Since 20124444444444My Project Blog: https://cowracer.blogspot.com/
2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss44444444"And Cowracer is right..." - Bikendan
Rallies Attended:
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:45 AM   #17
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Doug, I'm not sure he really sped up, by judging the speed of the other semi in the right lane. It appears the passing cars may have slowed some, but it looks like the truck in the left lane kept same speed. I still think he was moving over to his left to avoid a collision, which the VW just had to move back into his right hand lane, which he still had time too and didn't before getting sandwiched between the two semis.

As far as the phone conversation, I can't say for certain it was the semi driver or perhaps a passenger in the semi.....as many trucks have two people in them depending on their destination and time schedule for what they are hauling.
You're wrong. I'm right. Clearly.

j/k

I mean, I'm always right.

j/k

Anyway, good points all around. I certainly wouldn't want to be on the deciding committee to say who was or wasn't right.
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:46 AM   #18
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
V-dub was wrong. The truck driver was in no way obligated or required to let the dub merge into his lane. The v-dub driver however WAS obligated to make sure that he could safely change lanes.

Tim
I thought you had an obligation to avoid an accident where possible? Maybe I'm mixing up boating laws..

Again, speaking solely from this video in the confines of my warm office which is looking out at the snow, the dash cam trucker could have avoided the accident fairly easily but didn't yield when the VW (inappropriately) merged.
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:00 PM   #19
cogito ergo moo
 
Cowracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Imperial (St. Louis) MO
Posts: 2,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I thought you had an obligation to avoid an accident where possible? Maybe I'm mixing up boating laws..

Again, speaking solely from this video in the confines of my warm office which is looking out at the snow, the dash cam trucker could have avoided the accident fairly easily but didn't yield when the VW (inappropriately) merged.
Going off the laws of Missouri (cause I dont know what state this was in) and judging simply by who would get the ticket. Not accounting for who should have done what but simply from the legal standpoint.

You are required to maintain a lane, and when you deviate from that lane, you are responsible for being able to complete the maneuver safely. Coupled with the fact that it is technically illegal to pass on the right in Missouri, the bug was legally at fault in the crash.

You can argue the 'could haves': The dub could have just waited it out and got behind the truck it hit. The truck could have let the bug in.

But in the end, I put this on the v-dubs driver legally and otherwise. The v-dub driver put him/herself into a situation where the likelihood of their death was incredibly possible. "I did nothing wrong" is a poor epitaph on a tombstone. Personal responsibility would dictate that you don't challenge a tiger while wearing a steak suit...

Tim
__________________
FROG Member MO-0008-571 Since 20124444444444My Project Blog: https://cowracer.blogspot.com/
2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss44444444"And Cowracer is right..." - Bikendan
Rallies Attended:
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:01 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 631
A little different scenario but the end result could be the same. Here where I live, you are driving down the street and are going to make a left turn into your driveway. You start the turn and you get hit on the left side from a person passing you from behind. The driver making the turn is the guy who's going to get dinged. I think the VW driver is the guy responsible for the accident.
__________________

__________________
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:09 PM.