Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2015, 11:01 AM   #1
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Who's at fault?

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:06 AM   #2

Truck driver should have had his butt in the right lane so traffic didn't have to go around.

2015 Sunseeker 3010ds
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:12 AM   #3

The truck drive sped up to block the car from moving over. I don't think the truck needed to be in the right lane as he was moving with traffic and was about to over take another truck. I can under stand the truck drivers frustration as he/she is trying to keep a safe distance and the car drivers go into a spot that leaves them no room to stop. It is amazing how much danger people will put them selves into to save 10 seconds.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:14 AM   #4

Car is at fault - dash cam 1, idiot 0
(Which is why we have a dashcam in our TV

Not to say the trucker should have asserted his right of way - if it was me, I would have slowed down and not forced the issue.

But, this is a good example of "when driving in your car,who always has the right way? The TRUCK!"
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:15 AM   #5
Site Team

I guess it really depends on what exactly was behind him, as if he could just slam on his brakes to avoid the VW. He may have had people slam into his rear end if he did. He did get over all the way to the cables on his left hand side, before the car came into contact with him.

I would have to say it's the cars fault, if a responding police officer, due to where the vehicles collided at.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:16 AM   #6
Done with this

I've wanted to do that a thousand times. Everyone wants to be in front of the big truck, even if they pass and throw on the left blinker to turn, or pass you, cut you off just to dive off of the exit ramp....

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:18 AM   #7

IMO the vw. Some people don't understand that big rigs can't slow down very easily and that they need room. Really what was the VW gaining by getting that one extra spot? The vw should feel lucky that the semi didn't climb up and crush the little car....

This kind of thing makes me so excited to pull my trailer all the time. My unloaded weight with the trailer is just under 17k. Loaded with the toys I'll be over 20k easy.
That's why I installed this. I'm surprised the trucker didn't use his horn.

Rookie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:23 AM   #8

Hmmm, think they are both idiots. They both had time to avoid the event! The truck had time to slow and let the car who should have not tried to merge in. The car then had the time to stop the merge and proceed back to the right lane. They both want to prove they were the bigger you know what and showed no value for other human life.

Just my humble opinion.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:23 AM   #9
Site Team

After watching it again, I see the slower truck in the right hand lane did observe enough to see what was going on and he moved over onto the right hand shoulder....which probably saved the vw from being pushed over underneath his trailer.......and run over.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:24 AM   #10

Someone might want to go look at the "Last clear chance" doctrines.
Sure cars were passing him on the right and cutting back to the left, probably because he was flexing his size and playing "truck race" in the left lane.
He clearly became aggresive in his attempt to cut off the car and even more clearly did not back down and avoid the crash when he could have. He will eat at least a percentage of this.

2015 Sunseeker 3010ds
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:25 AM   #11
Always Learning

I'm not sure who is technically at fault but I think the dash cam driver was as much to blame as the other guy. He specifically sped up to block the VW from merging. In fact, he appears to have continued to accelerate while he was being forced off of the road. And finally, you can hear the conversation- he was talking on his phone.

IMO, the right answer would have been to just slow down and let the VW merge.

BUT- this is all easy to say because I'm here and not there.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:30 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Let's keep this thread on track. I have had to already delete a post with a uncalled for "assumption".

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie19 View Post
IMO the vw. Some people don't understand that big rigs can't slow down very easily and that they need room. Really what was the VW gaining by getting that one extra spot? The vw should feel lucky that the semi didn't climb up and crush the little car....

This kind of thing makes me so excited to pull my trailer all the time. My unloaded weight with the trailer is just under 17k. Loaded with the toys I'll be over 20k easy.
That's why I installed this. I'm surprised the trucker didn't use his horn.

WOAH! Now THAT is a 'serrius Horn! (Please tell me it is a horn like this )

Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
WOAH! Now THAT is a 'serrius Horn! (Please tell me it is a horn like this )

Mine just so happens to be off a fire truck. So it's extremely loud.
Rookie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I'm not sure who is technically at fault but I think the dash cam driver was as much to blame as the other guy. He specifically sped up to block the VW from merging. In fact, he appears to have continued to accelerate while he was being forced off of the road. And finally, you can hear the conversation- he was talking on his phone.

IMO, the right answer would have been to just slow down and let the VW merge.

BUT- this is all easy to say because I'm here and not there.
Doug, I'm not sure he really sped up, by judging the speed of the other semi in the right lane. It appears the passing cars may have slowed some, but it looks like the truck in the left lane kept same speed. I still think he was moving over to his left to avoid a collision, which the VW just had to move back into his right hand lane, which he still had time too and didn't before getting sandwiched between the two semis.

As far as the phone conversation, I can't say for certain it was the semi driver or perhaps a passenger in the semi.....as many trucks have two people in them depending on their destination and time schedule for what they are hauling.

Now, there is no doubt who is at fault in this one;

Old 03-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #16
Broken Toe

V-dub was wrong. The truck driver was in no way obligated or required to let the dub merge into his lane. The v-dub driver however WAS obligated to make sure that he could safely change lanes.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:45 AM   #17
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Doug, I'm not sure he really sped up, by judging the speed of the other semi in the right lane. It appears the passing cars may have slowed some, but it looks like the truck in the left lane kept same speed. I still think he was moving over to his left to avoid a collision, which the VW just had to move back into his right hand lane, which he still had time too and didn't before getting sandwiched between the two semis.

As far as the phone conversation, I can't say for certain it was the semi driver or perhaps a passenger in the semi.....as many trucks have two people in them depending on their destination and time schedule for what they are hauling.
You're wrong. I'm right. Clearly.

j/k

I mean, I'm always right.

j/k

Anyway, good points all around. I certainly wouldn't want to be on the deciding committee to say who was or wasn't right.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:46 AM   #18
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
V-dub was wrong. The truck driver was in no way obligated or required to let the dub merge into his lane. The v-dub driver however WAS obligated to make sure that he could safely change lanes.

Tim
I thought you had an obligation to avoid an accident where possible? Maybe I'm mixing up boating laws..

Again, speaking solely from this video in the confines of my warm office which is looking out at the snow, the dash cam trucker could have avoided the accident fairly easily but didn't yield when the VW (inappropriately) merged.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:00 PM   #19
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I thought you had an obligation to avoid an accident where possible? Maybe I'm mixing up boating laws..

Again, speaking solely from this video in the confines of my warm office which is looking out at the snow, the dash cam trucker could have avoided the accident fairly easily but didn't yield when the VW (inappropriately) merged.
Going off the laws of Missouri (cause I dont know what state this was in) and judging simply by who would get the ticket. Not accounting for who should have done what but simply from the legal standpoint.

You are required to maintain a lane, and when you deviate from that lane, you are responsible for being able to complete the maneuver safely. Coupled with the fact that it is technically illegal to pass on the right in Missouri, the bug was legally at fault in the crash.

You can argue the 'could haves': The dub could have just waited it out and got behind the truck it hit. The truck could have let the bug in.

But in the end, I put this on the v-dubs driver legally and otherwise. The v-dub driver put him/herself into a situation where the likelihood of their death was incredibly possible. "I did nothing wrong" is a poor epitaph on a tombstone. Personal responsibility would dictate that you don't challenge a tiger while wearing a steak suit...

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:01 PM   #20

A little different scenario but the end result could be the same. Here where I live, you are driving down the street and are going to make a left turn into your driveway. You start the turn and you get hit on the left side from a person passing you from behind. The driver making the turn is the guy who's going to get dinged. I think the VW driver is the guy responsible for the accident.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote