Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2014, 09:32 AM   #1
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Wifi thermostat

Since I like this forum the best I pose this question to my friends.

Had a new hiel high efficiency furnace and a/c this summer.

Worked well till last night.

"Bad" differential pressure switch.

All is well now however, I hope this signs of things to come.

Heating guy recommended a nest wifi thermostat that alerts you if there's an issue with heating or cooling while we're away.

We spend weekends and weeks away during the winter I'm worried a little bit.

Any suggestions on the nest or other wifi thermostat?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:58 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Since I like this forum the best I pose this question to my friends.

Had a new hiel high efficiency furnace and a/c this summer.

Worked well till last night.

"Bad" differential pressure switch.

All is well now however, I hope this signs of things to come.

Heating guy recommended a nest wifi thermostat that alerts you if there's an issue with heating or cooling while we're away.

We spend weekends and weeks away during the winter I'm worried a little bit.

Any suggestions on the nest or other wifi thermostat?
Yes they work well, but pricey. But if you see a failure you call a neighbor. What stat did they recommend so I can look it up and what furnace and or HP with back up do you have. This may count as my 1 answer, I don't know anymore. Where do I find this nest stat?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:01 AM   #3

I have two in my home. love them...can access any info/feature from anywhere with a cell phone and/or get alerts when temps go outside of a set range.

matter of fact my entire home has wifi connectivity....lights, door locks, cameras, garage door (did I close the garages??? just check and if not, shut it...don't gotta drive back!)

I have yet to have any issues with anything other than a wired window sensor on the alarm side of the system.....

the only issue to consider is that if for some reason your wifi/router goes down you cant access the system.....I have 3 separate wifi systems in the house running through 100meg fiber connected switch......the only time I have lost service is when the power goes completely out...

as for brand, Im not sure which is better. originally I had a Honeywell branded unit, that was wifi....I think the new one is a honewell made unit that is wifi AND 2gig ...

if you like to keep tabs on your home and are semi tech inclined, you will love the access
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 10:01 AM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Where do I find this nest stat?
Here's the company's website:
https://nest.com/thermostat/life-with-nest-thermostat/
Old 11-12-2014, 10:03 AM   #5

oh and my units are trane heat pumps with elect aux heating....
Old 11-12-2014, 10:10 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Yes they work well, but pricey. But if you see a failure you call a neighbor. What stat did they recommend so I can look it up and what furnace and or HP with back up do you have. This may count as my 1 answer, I don't know anymore. Where do I find this nest stat?
Glenn respond ad many times as I request! [emoji2]

Nest https://nest.com/

I'll have to see what hiel furnace I have tonight.

TURBS.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:11 AM   #7

Quote:
Ron, I would go with the Honeywell #RTH8580wf at HD $149.00 bucks. You can set the # of day's that you will be gone and maintain the set temp that you want..Hope it helps have the same stat but not WIFI, Also never heard of the nest and doesn't have the same options. I looked at the nest to.

Old 11-12-2014, 10:12 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I've seen bad customer service reviews from honeywell that's why I ask about alternatives to the nest if there's even any "good" alternatives out there.

TURBS.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I've seen bad customer service reviews from honeywell that's why I ask about alternatives to the nest if there's even any "good" alternatives out there.TURBS.
Son has one(don't know brand) that can be programmed and also has a "Auto Hold" feature that you set the AC temp and the Heat temp you want to hold and it turns the AC or Furnace on accordingly. We just set it for him to AC 80° and Heat to 50°.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Up here I have a Stock Carrier thermostat that has freeze guard. No matter what if temp goes below 40 that heat comes on. Works with no batteries as the thermo is powered from the furnace. If we are away according to our insurance someone has to check every 48 hours otherwise insurance is null and void. Not sure how they would know.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Glenn respond ad many times as I request! [emoji2]

Nest https://nest.com/

I'll have to see what hiel furnace I have tonight.

TURBS.
Attached are the specks and stat. As long as it is not a H/P then let me know. Honeywell is the best stat out. I wouldn't install such things as nest or hunters or anything a like. Honeywell is the best stat on the Market. All these other morons want to get in the business but will not beat a Honeywell. look at the options. Like I said I have the same but not WIFI..
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Turbo.pdf (531.5 KB, 24 views)

Old 11-12-2014, 11:24 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Lately I've been looking at the Ecobee (https://www.ecobee.com/) but that's because I have airflow issues in our house where a single thermostat doesn't seem to work well. I like the idea of having multiple sensors in different areas so I can can try to get an even temp across the whole house instead of being stuck with overheated kids and a freezing DW.

I just haven't convinced the DW yet that the $300 price tag will be worth it in the long run.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:25 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Lately I've been looking at the Ecobee (https://www.ecobee.com/) but that's because I have airflow issues in our house where a single thermostat doesn't seem to work well. I like the idea of having multiple sensors in different areas so I can can try to get an even temp across the whole house instead of being stuck with overheated kids and a freezing DW.

I just haven't convinced the DW yet that the $300 price tag will be worth it in the long run.
Just found this.

http://programmable-thermostats-revi...ws.com/mobile/

TURBS.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:54 AM   #14

Quote:
I've seen bad customer service reviews from honeywell that's why I ask about alternatives to the nest if there's even any "good" alternatives out there.

TURBS.
If I was going to spend 249.00 on a nest then I would buy this Honeywell attached (just packaging)

Old 11-12-2014, 11:55 AM   #15

Again, my units are Honeywell (heck Honeywell makes most of the others too)...never an issue in 10+ years....i dont ever actually touch the stat as I generally adjust from my phone or the main panel...its a whole home automation setup, but same principle...and I can see the dang thing wayyy better....lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1415811314190.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	66296  
Old 11-12-2014, 12:00 PM   #16
Site Team

I had a nest installed recently - after years of a carrier programmable. the nest website will walk you through a do it yourself install but recommend pro help if you have a whole house humidifier so that's the route I went.

I LOVE THIS THING! Frankly it works just as well as the old one did but i'ts much more user friendly than my old thermostat. I can SEE it and set it easily - no millions of screens and buttons, change it from the road.

Highly recommended.

info:
slick ad:

a review - interesting:

Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:05 PM   #17

The Trane 950 might be a bit much for you needs but that is what I have. Sends alerts, programmable via internet connection from anywhere, zones, I love the thing but I am strange that way. Turned the heat of for our last camping trip and turned it on from the camper the morning we were coming back.
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:07 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Wow! all very helpful user reviews and suggestions !
I'll probably be purchasing this weekend so anymore helpful insight and suggestions are highly welcomed!

I just have a plain Ole forced air furnace and a/c unit "no zones" or heat pumps.

Lol the house was built in the early 1920's!

TURBS.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:17 PM   #19

The newer ones are all pretty nice....ive had the nest in a previous setup but I switched all my stuff over to wifi/zwave and the nest left in the process. For a techie nerd like myself I love it all...BUT it has to be user friendly enough for my wife and the nanny to adjust if necessary....

Just pick which features you want and go from there...they are not cheap compared to a reg ol home depot slider stat, but the functionality is worth EVERY penny to me...
Old 11-13-2014, 06:28 AM   #20

Quote:
If I was going to spend 249.00 on a nest then I would buy this Honeywell attached (just packaging)
Turbs, this same stat is on sale at amazon for $195.00. Cheaper then HD, with free shipping. It will work with your Heil unit and do what you want.

Tags
thermostat