Old 01-13-2014, 07:24 AM   #11
chicagoslick

I lived in Rapid City, SD for a few years while stationed at Ellsworth AFB. It was pretty darn cold there. Also thought they recorded the largest temperature swing in a 24Hr period (70deg to -60deg) back in 1990. By the way I am from Southern California originally and when I went to South Dakota it was a huge shock.....

Gary

Old 01-13-2014, 10:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoslick View Post
I lived in Rapid City, SD for a few years while stationed at Ellsworth AFB. It was pretty darn cold there. Also thought they recorded the largest temperature swing in a 24Hr period (70deg to -60deg) back in 1990. By the way I am from Southern California originally and when I went to South Dakota it was a huge shock.....

Gary
I have run the numbers on Rapid City for the year 2013. Compared to southern CA pleasant its no doubt a way colder city. I can only imagine the shock! The mood swings (daily temperature swings) happen too. Something about those winds coming off the black hills. But comparing Rapid City to Minneapolis what you'll find is that there are way more days above 40 degrees. Jan - Mar 2013 here is the data.

DAYS ABOVE 40 DEGREES 2013
Rapid City
Jan - 16 days
Feb - 17 days
Mar - 23 days
Dec - 11 days

Minneapolis
Jan - 0 days
Feb - 0 days
Mar - 5 days
Dec - 1 day

Look at the two charts I attached and you'll see what the entire year looks like.

BTW..I've run charts for Chicago (should be similar to Indy) but have not done one for Indianapolis. I'll post for Chicago when I get the chance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Climate_2013_Rapid City.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	44874   Click image for larger version

Name:	Climate_2013_Minneapolis.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	44875  

http://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
Itís true that a few degrees donít make much difference in comfort, but those who make a living predicting global warming say that a few degrees with create all kinds of havoc. I wonít repeat their predictions because weíve all heard them.

However, I canít resist mentioning that the climate experts predicted that this year the number and strength of hurricanes would be much above average and several would hit the US. Actually, there were only two storms that were barely strong enough to be classified hurricanes and neither came close to land. You guys in the frozen north are not much affected by hurricanes, but here in the south we keep an eye on them.

I do have sympathy for you, though. When we have a tropical storm, at least the temperature is reasonable. You guys in the frozen north get storms with similar winds but nasty cold temperatures. Not for me.
Nice catch. I remember the same predictions about hurricanes! Naddah. I have friends and family in south florida and took a huge interest during hurricane season wondering what was going to happen. Where in SC are you? How often do you see hurricanes or the remnants of them? I have not run numbers for SC and would like to.

Oh..and as for sympathy. Thank you. But truthfully we know what we are doing up here as all people do wherever they live. If you dont like the threat of hurricanes move. If you dont like pavement melting heat for six months move out of Phoenix...etc. As for the bone chilling winters in MN...accept it or move. I plan on moving in the next few years. Gotta deal with things like aging parents and other family matters first.

http://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:04 PM   #14

In response to Pineforestcamper's question, we are in upstate South Carolina. (For those who are not familiar with South Carolina terminology, we don't have south, center or north regions. We have Upstate, Midlands, and Low Country.)

We sometimes get storms that have degraded to tropical storm wind speeds, but still dump lots of rain. During my son's first Boy Scout campout we got 14 inches of rain over a 2 1/2 day period. I was happy that I let him go without me.

About 1987 we got 14 inches of snow in about 30 hours. That made a real mess around here. The national press gave us a hard time for not keeping the interstates open. Two weeks later North Dakota got 12 inches and shut down their interstates, and the media didn't think that was unusual.

Tags
winter