Old 01-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #1

Winter Weather Challenge

Itís about this time of the year that folks get on the forum and chime in with how cold it is where they live. We read the usual stories of how horrible winter is where they are compared to others. Well here in Minneapolis it truly is colder than where most of you live. Not all but most. If you compare Minnneapolis to other cities of comparable size day in and day out it has the coldest high and low temperatures in the nation. Thatís not something Iím proud of its just reality. Well I am putting out a challenge to others who think they live someplace colder. If you think you live somewhere colder fire off a challenge. I will go high or cold temperatures. Either one is fine with me. Here are some guidelines for the challengeÖ

1. Location: You must be in the Lower 48.
2. Size: > 50,000 per wikipedia.
3. Highs/Lows: You pick.

Sorry Canada you are out. #1 I cant find the data. #2 Canada just is another world of its own and I concede defeat. As for the size of city we all could pick some remote place where the ice doesnít melt until July. I probably cant find the data and just because a few hundred people live there doesnít mean its truly inhabitable. I need you to include in the challenge your desire to go high or low temps. No windchills as I cant find the data. We get wind here in MN too and its bone chilling.

I will post a comparison graph for the most recent data and the graph will most likely give a very clear illustration of who is colder!

http://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:04 PM   #2

So to start things off here is the the first contest. Green Bay vs Minneapolis. High Temperatures. Last weekend Green Bay hosted a football game against San Francisco and there was talk that it was going to be the coldest temperature ever for an NFL game. Guess what folks if it would have been in MN the temperature would have been colder! According to weatherunderground.com the official high in GB was 12. In Mpls it was -5. So here are two graphs for this first challenge. One is for the month of December and the other is for the first 9 days of January. The contest looks close but upon closer analysis Mpls is the clear winner. In December it was warmer in GB 21 days. In January it has been warmer 6 of the 9 days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MINNEAPOLIS-GREENBAY 1213.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	44725   Click image for larger version

Name:	MINNEAPOLIS-GREENBAY 0114.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	44726  

Old 01-10-2014, 02:12 PM   #3

I spent a couple of years stationed at Grand Forks, ND and I gotta tell ya it was mighty dang cold in '64 and '65.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I spent a couple of years stationed at Grand Forks, ND and I gotta tell ya it was mighty dang cold in '64 and '65.
Grand Forks..home of the University of North Dakota Fighting Sioux. A worthy of opponent for this challenge and it qualifies as the population is just over 50,000. Grand Forks and Minneapolis share the same cold air mass that drops down from the arctic and I have to concede that it may be colder there. I will post the data shortly.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:19 PM   #5

Grand Forks vs Minneapolis
High Temps

We have a winner! Grand Forks is clearly the colder city by far. Minneapolis had the higher temps 29 of the 31 days in December. So far in January it has been warmer every single day in Minneapolis. Look at those nasty temps below zero! Bleh! In December 11 days a high temp below zero. In January there have been 6 so far.

What should be noted though is the population of each locale. There are 98,888 people in the Grand Forks area and 3,759,978 in the Mpls/St Paul metro area. Minneapolis is the 15th largest metro in the nation. Grand Forks is the 352nd largest. Size doesnt dictate or affect temperature but it does illustrate the potential of most of us moving there and settling down. More people could and do move into Minneapolis. Very few of us will be leaving our homes, packing up the station wagon and moving to Grand Forks. I do mention moving to another area as much of this study for me has been about finding a new home. I've lived in this area my whole life and the winters are just too long and arduous for my lifestyle. Hats off oakman for finding one of those really cold spots where a significant populace live. My brother in law is from Bismarck and he says winters there are slightly more intense than here. So oakman why were you in Grand Forks?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MINNEAPOLIS-GRANDFORKS 1213.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	44738   Click image for larger version

Name:	MINNEAPOLIS-GRANDFORKS 0114.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	44739  

Old 01-11-2014, 06:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineForestCamper View Post
Grand Forks vs Minneapolis
High Temps
Size doesnt dictate or affect temperature but it does illustrate the potential of most of us moving there and settling down.
Actually, size does affect temperature. The removal of trees, paving and development of large urban areas causes the area to absorb heat during the day and release it during the night, making days a little warmer and nights significantly warmer. This even has some effect on thunderstorms due to the increased updrafts, especially during the day. A few years ago NOAA began to consider the effect Atlanta has on its own weather. Just as large lakes or nearby mountains have an effect on local weather, so do large metropolitan areas.

This is one point of argument about global warming. The number of rural weather reporting station was drastically reduced in the 1970's and the areas around urban stations have been developed since the stations were established, mostly over a hundred years ago,. Guess what has happened to the average temperatures in large urban areas compared to rural areas in the same region?

That said, when you are walking in downtown Minneapolis, it's 20 below, and the wind between the buildings is 40 mph, you probably can't feel how much that urban heat sink is helping you!
Old 01-11-2014, 06:23 AM   #7

I think (Al Gore) has compiled this same data? Youroo!!
Old 01-12-2014, 03:17 PM   #8

Size does dictate temperature but only by a degree or two. The rural temps here are at maximum two degrees cooler out of the metro. One or two degrees (in terms of comfort) does not make for a much warmer winter. I have examined winter climates in many different areas and what I have found is that there is much more than a degree or two difference between Minneapolis and say Cleveland, Pittsburgh, New England, Chicago, New York, etc. Yet in all those places you'll hear people grumble on about how cold it is during the winter. But when I look at their temperatures as a whole (Dec - March), compared to mine. I say wow I'd love to have a winter like that (because I dont like the cold). It's all perspective. Today is a lovely day....for here in this winter season. 40 degrees outside but then its only the second 40 degree day since November 20th. The 52 days since that 40 degree day on November 20th look like this in terms of high temps:

-0's: 3 days
+0's: 10 days
10's: 13 days
20's: 6 days
30's: 18 days
40's: 2 days

I might be a little temperature obsessed but I readily admit that. Time to go back outside and enjoy as its Sunday and back to work tomorrow!

Old 01-12-2014, 03:42 PM   #9
Site Team

I guess its true from reading this thread. Its cabin fever season!!!

Come on spring!!
2017-67 / 16-92 / 15-73 / 14-60 / 13-33
Seasonal
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:47 AM   #10

It’s true that a few degrees don’t make much difference in comfort, but those who make a living predicting global warming say that a few degrees with create all kinds of havoc. I won’t repeat their predictions because we’ve all heard them.

However, I can’t resist mentioning that the climate experts predicted that this year the number and strength of hurricanes would be much above average and several would hit the US. Actually, there were only two storms that were barely strong enough to be classified hurricanes and neither came close to land. You guys in the frozen north are not much affected by hurricanes, but here in the south we keep an eye on them.

I do have sympathy for you, though. When we have a tropical storm, at least the temperature is reasonable. You guys in the frozen north get storms with similar winds but nasty cold temperatures. Not for me.

Tags
winter