Old 08-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #11
I had a sirius in my car but my camper was XM, the problem was the accounts are different so I had to cancel my sirius account and open a XM account(because my sirius would not fit in the camper docking station) which was a pain but I don't really see any difference in the two radios. I have the "family" account which has all I really want, I don't need all the adult sites.

rohlingerrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #12
Our new Rockwood 8315BSS came wired for XM and with the SKYFi3 radio, It also has the home docking station so we use it in the house as well as the trailer. MW Chevy Malibu came with the XM wired in and I have an XM Roady xt that I use in our truck and my shop. We really enjoy it as where we live is quite rural and not many stations (2) during the daytime. Our subscription for all 3 is around $400 Cdn. for 3 years.

2010 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8315BSS
2003 GMC Sierra HD Crew Cab
Duramax Diesel Power
DonJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:32 PM   #13
Kim: I have factory XM/Sirius in my truck and a Sky-fi add-on unit in my car, which can be removed and placed in a boom-box for camping. The boom box runs on batteries or AC and has its own antenna with a very long cord so I can locate it exactly where I need it. It works great. I think I got the boom box at Circuit City for about $99. Can't remember how much the Sky-fi was. I get a better deal by paying annually, and I think the second unit is maybe 60 or 70 percent of the rate for the first unit. Also, all XM/Sirius subscribers can get service for free on their computers. I hook some pretty good speakers to my laptop, and it sounds pretty good. So there lots of options.
2013 Surveyor SP220
2010 Silverado LT 5.3 V8

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
we only have a subscription for one head unit. I just trot it back and forth between the trailer and truck. In the trailer, the docking station just plugs into the 12 volt receptacle in the TV area. Then run a line to the Jensen. Then just run the antenna out the trailer through the door. (not a permanenet placement).
That's what I would probably do if I ever go the satellite route.

When FR was talking about making the suggestion that they'd give me a sat' receiver to overcome my radio reception issues, I asked which brand & it was XM. The added cost of the subscription, plus the fact that they didn't have the NASCAR coverage, I passed.

Last year when we went to Charlotte in a rental truck. My buddy just put his Sirius head unit on the console, plugged it into the lighter & put the antenna on the dash. No problems w/ reception from southern Ontario to NC.

2011 Chevrolet K2500HD w/ Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Husky W/D hitch
2009 Rockwood 2106 Mini-Lite
Nights camped 2010: 21
Nights camped 2011: 17
Nights camped 2012: 8
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote